The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 PM

To me, this is one of those things like nut width. I own several of each in both poly and nitro and it doesn’t make a difference to me.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:55 PM

I’ve never given it much thought myself until I started playing this J-45. Now don’t get me wrong, it’s not terrible and I love the guitar and it plays nice. I’m fairly new with barre chords so I’ve been playing them a lot lately and my hand moves up and down the neck freely. I think where I notice it hang up sometimes is maybe going between open chords like Am and C, where my hand just sort of sticks and hangs up a little. It might be the fatter neck on this 50s model but after reading about the nitro finish breaking in I just thought I would ask if anyone had that happen. I guess time will tell, I don’t think I’m quite ready for steel wool or any sanding yet.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Just Google "speed neck" to find many posts here on AGF about this. I'm in the satin/no finish camp. Any instrument I plan on keeping gets the neck deglossed. Anyone that's played a sticky neck on a hot humid day would appreciate a nice slick satin neck.

It takes a little effort to maintain a satin neck - the process of playing where dirt, sweat and oils from your hand get on the neck will tend to build up a stcky, shiny coating. The rate depends on your own habits and skin. I find a once per year treatment with 0000 steel wool or 1000 grit sandpaper works.

On my fiddles and mandos that have raw necks to begin with I may have to apply a light treatment of tung or boiled linseed oil every year or so. Using dry, soft, lint-free rags wipe on, let sit maybe an hour, wipe off, buff out.
Oh boy get ready for the deluge of nay-sayers who will tell you that using 0000 steel wool is removing the finish. For the record, I use it on my satin necks to clean the oily “shine”. Works great for me.
Fender Copperburst Telecaster.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

...with the exception of Gibson’s sticky nitro necks...of which I have had a couple...I don’t find that gloss vs satin makes a neck faster or slower....I prefer the looks of a gloss neck though and have a slight preference for the feel of a satin neck....my favorite feeling necks are a couple of Warmoth unfinished roasted maple necks on two of my home brew telecasters.....
Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 AM

A well finished neck is something I never notice. I don't really care which, as long as I never have to think about the back of the neck.
Taylor Classical
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Old 05-18-2020, 07:48 AM

Players have different reactions to not only satin vs. gloss, but the finish material is also part of the equation. True satin finishes aren't simply "de-glossed" with a pad or 0000 steel wool, the finish has flatting agents mixed in that scatter light transmission within the finish and also contribute to surface texture.

"Speed necks" are often done by removing topical finish followed by wax and/or permeating oil treatment.

I've been experimenting fro a couple of years with heat-infused pure beeswax or Carnauba with generally good results. The feel is great, but occasionally the surface will cloud.

My latest neck finishes are European hard oils, which were developed as floor finishes and are much different than typical waxes or oils. They are designed to chemically bond with the surface fibers of the neck and form a hard protective coating on the outside surface, without any actual build up of finish.

They are expensive and a little more difficult to procure, but the results are worth the effort. Rubio Monocoat and Osmo PolyX oil are two of the hard oil brands. The Osmo PolyX is a simple two application of two wipe on, wipe off coats.

I'm throwing this out so folks are aware that there are alternatives to "finished" vs. "bare wood" choice.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Had a poll on in this a few months ago, interesting topic to see people’s position. I have both, but I prefer the satin.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I’ve owned three Martins with satin necks - OM-28 Marquis, HD-28V, and D-18 - and I detested the horrible feel and ‘cheap ‘n’ nasty’ look. I buffed them out to gloss, and never looked back.

My Brook has a fantastic-feeling gloss neck, and my Lowden has the Lowden hand-rubbed satin finish on the neck, which I get along fine with.

I guess I’m fortunate that my hands are very dry, no matter what kind of atmosphere I’m playing in, so gloss necks never feel sticky or draggy to me.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:05 AM

I always prefer a satin neck for more comfort, but of course this will go glossy over time.

Satin necks on Telecasters are superb imo.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I’ve owned three Martins with satin necks - OM-28 Marquis, HD-28V, and D-18 - and I detested the horrible feel and ‘cheap ‘n’ nasty’ look. I buffed them out to gloss, and never looked back.
Just curious...did you buff the satin necks until they were smoother to your liking, or did you actually put a gloss finish on it? If the latter, did you use the same gloss as your body (i.e. nitrocel or matching varnish, whatever it may be)?

On Consignment: Custom Martin 00-28 Sitka over Cocobolo with Koa Bindings and Torch Inlay
Old 05-18-2020, 10:38 AM

I totally prefer gloss necks.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Just curious...did you buff the satin necks until they were smoother to your liking, or did you actually put a gloss finish on it? If the latter, did you use the same gloss as your body (i.e. nitrocel or matching varnish, whatever it may be)?
I removed the tuners, then used Virtuoso Cleaner on the neck and headstock (front, back, and edges), followed by Virtuoso Polish. I used a polishing cloth to apply the polish, another polishing cloth to buff it out, and a liberal quantity of elbow-grease. Then re-installed the tuners.

It doesn’t come up to the same kind of ‘full gloss’ as the body, I guess due to the flattening-agent which has been introduced to the nitro lacquer, but it ends up as what I’d describe as a nice ‘warm, soft gloss’.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-18-2020, 11:33 AM

I have both, but prefer satin. When my satin necks start to shine and turn glossy, a quick wipe with naptha (lighter fluid) removes the shine quickly and easily.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 05-18-2020, 11:47 AM

Talking

All my guitars came with satin necks. There’s a classical beater from China that I keep for memory’s sake that has a gloss neck. So I think I prefer satin neck.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Lava Me 2 (2019)
Old 05-18-2020, 11:52 AM

I've tried guitars with satin necks and don't care for them at all. Every guitar I've ever owned had a glossy neck. On the rare occasion that a nitro or poly neck finish has been sticky a bit of Gibson guitar polish on a polishing cloth easily took care of the problem.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion