The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-06-2020, 05:54 AM

Default Old Clocks ?

Wife picked this up the other day. It's a pretty old Elgin, but the bell just "clunked". 31 day regulator.

I got it out of the shop yesterday, love the sound of it in my old house.

Anybody else dig the vintage vibe?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-25-2020, 09:03 AM

Default New Clock

I don't have a vintage clock but do have a newer Howard Miller Wind Up mantel clock. Got it a very good price years ago, but had to have it serviced last year. Was stunned by the cost to have it repaired and tuned up; over $400. Still I love the sound of the chimes and there is something nice about having to wind it up. Also have an old wind up wall clock that was made in Korea. Was my MIL's, who gave it to us 20 years ago. This one has worked since and keeps really good time once I learned how to adjust the speed.
81 Fender E Strat
13 Epiphone Sheraton II
82 Seagull 12 string
Old 02-25-2020, 01:05 PM

I inherited a French carriage clock from my mother. It dates to the 1850’s, is a family heirloom. We were always told it was valuable...but it isn’t: it sports a weird movement, it doesn’t chime, and it keeps terrible time. But my fondness for old clocks dates back to seeing it on our mantle as I was growing up. As a result, I bought a small Seth Thomas 8 day chiming clock a few years ago. Love hearing it chime. Sits on a shelf in our living room.

I’ve bought some other clocks, but have moved most of them along for one reason or another. One is sitting in the basement because it needs servicing and I don’t want to spend the money on it. But it is a pretty, old “farmer’s clock”. Even has an alarm (that doesn’t work).

Chiming clocks conjure romantic fantasies of the simplicity of earlier times, like those of my grandparents’ youth and early adulthood. I think they are mostly fantasies: what is simple about poor medical care, poor dental care, the Great Depression, World War I, etc? Still, the clocks and their chimes are a comfort to me.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:56 PM

I inheirited this last year when my mother passed. It doesn't work, but I hope to get it repaired.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic