The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-21-2004, 03:56 AM

Default Using a cut-capo?

Does anyone have any online resources on using a cut-capo (a.k.a. Foote Capo)? Chord charts, any cool things you can do with it? I'm just looking for references!!

Speaking of which...how many of you guys use a cut-capo... and when do you feel it works for you?

Thanks!

Sam
Old 12-21-2004, 08:02 AM

Jim Tozier can probably help you out with this one. I know he has used several cut capo's at a time for certain songs... WILD.

As far as what I'd do with them... mess around. I'd try it (or a combinations of "its") out at certain places and see what cool lines I could pull out of the guitar.

Devon.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:13 AM

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.bos-capos.com/
http://www.caguitars.com/files/Chord..._CAGuitars.pdf

www.worshiptogether.com has some books with entire sections showing the songs played with a short cut capo.
Here's one of the books: http://www.worshiptogether.com/store...309755&tid=196

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 12-21-2004, 09:52 AM

I use a cut capo in several songs. Because I tune down a whole step, by using the cut capo on the ADG strings, I am now in DADGAD tuning, if I turn it upside down on the DGB strings I am essentially in an open G tuning I believe.
I also do alot of double capo-ing. By using a standard capo at 2 and the cut capo at 4 I can move around my DADGAD and open G by keeping the capos at 2 fret intervals. I've also written songs with the cut capo at the 4th fret, both on the ADG, and DGB strings but have never taken the time to figure out what tuning that equates too.
Best thing is to experiment and have fun with it. For me it helps me write by giving me new voicings and helping me break from familiar chord pattern ruts.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:16 AM

www.woodpecker.com
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 12-21-2004, 10:20 AM

Use cut capo's all the time in standard and alternate tunings. They have opened a whole new playing world for me. Shubbs can be easily modified.

The following link can be useful for alternate tunings:
http://songweaver.com/guitar/

Merry Christmas to all............

Old 12-21-2004, 02:35 PM

I use a cut capo. I like it a lot. You can get a much more "open" sound in my opinion when using a cut capo, not to mention some very interesting-sounding chords can be found by fooling around with it. Its very nice in worship too, because many chords are very easy to play with it as well.

If you listen to Shane barnard, i know he uses it a lot. Chris Tomlin also uses it occasionally.

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 12-21-2004, 02:54 PM
In The Pocket

I use a partial capo (I have 3 partials from shubb - not modified), and I love them. I have some PDF files that have some chord charts for the partial capo if you want them.

A lot of prasie and worship now days is done using a partial - gives an open tuning and a drone effect that is very pretty, and chords are generally easier to play (lot of two finger chords)...

When I get a song to play at church, I usually look to see if I can't do it with the partial capo. With a couple guitars playing, it seems that it adds a some color or a slightly different voicing to my guitar. I love it!

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 12-21-2004, 03:10 PM

me and my friend who is the acoustic guitarist for our praise band generally are the same guitarist lol. hes smoother, but im a better technical player (i can play more riffs, im faster, etc).

we both love to use partial capos. its so easy because just as long as you know your notes, you can play every string if you wanted. great texture to songs.
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 12-30-2004, 04:55 PM

I use the cut "Foote" capo alot. Try these:

(Capo'd at the second fret)

"E" chord
E O
A 2
D 2
G 4
B O
E O

"B" chord
E O
A 2
D 4
G 4
B O
E O

"A" chord
E 5
A 4
D 2
G 2
B O
E O

"C#m" chord
E O
A 4
D 6
G 6
B O
E O

"F#m" chord
E 2
A 4
D 2 or 4 (either way)
G 2
B O
E O

"D" chord
E O
A 5
D 4
G 2
B O
E O

Of course, these chords aren't actually E, B, C#m, etc. They are probably like E4, Bsus, C#msus, etc. But I like to keep things simple for my little pea brain.

You can add a standard capo to this and keep the cut capo two frets up the neck from it and move these shapes up the neck.

Experiment around with other shapes too. Lot's of cool things you can do.

Have fun!

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." - Hebrews 11:1
Old 01-05-2005, 03:18 PM

Hi, I'm Mitch Bohannon of www.bos-capos.com
It's great to hear that ya'll are enjoying the capo and the new sounds you can get with it. If you have questions about it, I'd love to hear from you. Also, please check out my site as new items are coming in....
Just got a limited edition of the capo with 2 colors...silver/black.

Enjoy!

In Him,
Mitch

C.A. Legacy AE
Tradition Jerry Reid Pro Artist
Fender Nashville Power Tele
Big Baby Taylor[FONT=Arial]undefined
Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleShish
I use a cut capo in several songs. Because I tune down a whole step, by using the cut capo on the ADG strings, I am now in DADGAD tuning, if I turn it upside down on the DGB strings I am essentially in an open G tuning I believe.
Strictly speaking, if you are in EADGBE (or any number of steps lower) and use a cut capo on the ADG strings that would make the strings EBEABE when played open (1 step higher than DADGAD)

However, the string relationships are still the same as in standard tuning - to illustrate this just play a full barre chord on any higher fret - it is the same as it always is.

I've never quite gotten the knack of playing with a cut capo in that manner. Maybe it would be useful if I wanted to do some DADGAD-sounding fingerstyle stuff , but not lose any chords I'm familiar with up the neck??
Old 05-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Default Have a problem with slipping partial capo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing4sons View Post
Here are a couple of links:

http://www.bos-capos.com/
http://www.caguitars.com/files/Chord..._CAGuitars.pdf

www.worshiptogether.com has some books with entire sections showing the songs played with a short cut capo.
Here's one of the books: http://www.worshiptogether.com/store...309755&tid=196
I have a Taylor 414 and tried to use a partial capo and it kept sliding off. Any suggestions on a capo that works. Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erman View Post
I have a Taylor 414 and tried to use a partial capo and it kept sliding off. Any suggestions on a capo that works. Thanks
I have a Taylor 414 and I use the kyser cut capo.
I know a lot of people don't really like kyser because it uses more force than necessary, so if you have slanky strings it can pull them sharp, but it seems to work okay for me.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erman View Post
Hi erman…
First of all, hello and welcome to the group.

By partial capo, I assume you mean a three string sometimes called an Esus capo.

The type capo will make a difference. I cut all my own from Planet Waves NS or Dual Action capos, because then they fit perfectly and are adjustable tension.

I’ve used Kyser capos both made to be a cut and just a standard Kyser flipped upside down with the bottom bumper cut to length. I’ve used Shubbs which are cut for Dropped D and then trimmed for Esus and a Shubb Esus, and none of them slipped off.

However, the Kysers worked like crap and the Shubbs were marginal for a 1 3/4'' nut guitar (as the Taylor likely is). It's why I got into cutting my own...what type do you have that slips off the neck?

Some of mine...and what they were cut from...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write