The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Default Well my wife is definitely a keeper... even if the Epi isn't

Feeling the need for a dreadnought, I bought an Epiphone Masterbuild last week (my other acoustic is a GS mini). Got a good deal on it at the local shop.

After some fiddling and trying a few different sets of strings etc I got it to the point where I'm happy (not ecstatic, but genuinely happy) with the sound.

Went out for a beer with my wife at the start of this week and had the most unlikely conversation I've ever had:

-"So hows the new guitar?"
+"Yeah, it's ok, it's not exactly a custom shop 'vintage' hummingbird, but I like it"
-"How much is one of those?"
+"What a custom shop hummingbird? About £4000 lol"
-"ok, get one"
+".....whuh?"
-"Just get it if that's what you want. Life is all about experiences, so just go buy the guitar you really want"

Quick look around online and, no-one had more than 1 in stock so there was no chance of trying several and picking the best, so I just ordered it online right then and there in the pub from gear4music who have a 30-day paid-return policy figuring that if I didn't love it I'd send it back (didn't want to wait in case the wind changed!).

It arrived yesterday. Wow.

Looks pretty, in a calm, non-bling kind of way. Kinda reminds me of an old faded pair of well-loved jeans. It's not battered-looking or worn out, but it looks worn in. They've managed to make it look old but looked after. It's a good balance between looking new and being 'reliced'.

Sounds amazing. Plays great.

The neck feels VERY nice to me. I grew up playing Les Pauls, so 12" radius, 24.75" scale length neck is what I'm used to, but more than that, the profile feels very familiar too. I kinda feel like that when they made the hummingbird in 1960 they more or less just put a 60's les paul neck on it. It's probably 1 or 2mm or so wider, but the overall feel is the same to me.

It has Gibsons "New thin finish" on it. They ain't kidding!! I didn't know sanded spruce had any noticeable texture! Maybe baking it brings it out.

Of course, being a Gibson there is plenty that's a little bit sloppy, but I've owned enough Les Pauls to just laugh it off. At least the neck is on straight.
The thing that made me laugh the most is that they include a (pretty basic for a £4000 guitar) strap with it. But the guitar only it only has one strap button, and they didn't even include a shoelace to tie it to the headstock with. Probably there was some small print in the specs that said "shoelace not included"

I kinda feel like I stole it. It was almost too easy - not having to sell everything else I own, or harras, beg and plead for months on end. I'm starting to get used to the idea of having it though. I feel like I would have appreciated it more if I'd have had to really work for it, but I might have been so precious about it I'd have barely dared to play it in case i wore the frets out. It's quite nice being able to be a bit relaxed about it.

It's definitely a keeper, I LOVE the sound of it, though I really have no point of reference by which to judge it - it's better than a Koa GS Mini and an Epiphone AJ-500. Or any other acoustic I've played, but I've not played anything with more than a £1k price tag before either.

So I'm keeping the Gibson, and my wife.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-20-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 AM

You married the right one, sir.
Congrats on that and the NGD.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Guest 33123

Congratulations! My wife did the same with my L-00 Vintage in Sept. We are blessed.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:45 AM

She's a keeper for sure. Beautiful finish on that
IG: @mikehasbourbonandguitars
Old 11-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Congratulations! I love your wife. Is she married?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Congratulations! I love your wife. Is she married?
Lol, Afraid so, and likely to stay that way! She's very pretty too. I'm not sure what I did to deserve her!

Last edited by RalphH; 11-15-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:04 AM

Congratulations on a beautiful Gibson!
I recently got a new J-45 with a similar approval from my wife. It’s great to have a wife who wants you to fulfill your dreams.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

That's quite a turn around...congrats on a great new Gibson and a great wife!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-15-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I love Gibson’s tone. And, your wife is a wise woman. She understands it’s cheaper in the long run for you to just buy what you REALLY want! No selling, returning, shipping and so forth. All of that adds up.

Enjoy it. Play it. Allow dents and dings. Make beautiful and memorable music. After all, what’s greatest about an “old pair of jeans”? The memories, the tears, the wear, and the feel.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Awesome story, awesome wife, awesome guitar - congrats!! I wonder what we would say if our spouses wanted to make a multi-thousand dollar purchase?
Old 11-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Few years back she wanted some crazy £3000 sewing machine that did embroidery. I bought it for her without complaint. Probably a wise move now I think about it
Old 11-15-2019, 11:29 AM

This is conclusive proof that beer is good for you! Congratulations.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I wonder what we would say if our spouses wanted to make a multi-thousand dollar purchase?
My wife wanted to have the basement professionally renovated this year so I said sure no problem. The cost of my L-00 was nothing in comparison.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Great pick up - and a nice guitar also. Enjoy that new toy.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Congratulations! I LOVE the sound of Hummingbirds!
I have a 1995 Gibson J-30 Montana (same as a Hummingbird Studio) that I have had for many years and It is truly a Gem. One of my lifetime guitars.

Your spouse is also a Gem!
I am lucky to also have a wife that supports me.

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion