The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 AM

Default New D'addario XT strings have landed

The freebee D'addario offered last month was waiting in the mailbox when I got home yesterday, will string them up today and see if I like them as much as I did the test strings I was a beta tester for just about a year ago. They will go on my J45 which is currently sporting Straight Up Strings. I got the XT's in PB 12-53's. Will follow up once I have some time to play the D'addario's in.

Last edited by shekie; 09-07-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:27 AM

Well, I guess I could have two packs waiting for me today. I figured those had already landed to the folks who got them, so I ordered a set to try last week. They’re due to arrive today. Haha
Old 09-07-2019, 07:50 AM

Got mine yesterday, as well. PB 12-53. I loved the beta strings, so hopefully these are as good or better. I’d been using Santa Cruz on my Bourgeois, but I liked the beta set just as much.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Well, I guess I could have two packs waiting for me today. I figured those had already landed to the folks who got them, so I ordered a set to try last week. They’re due to arrive today. Haha
I did exactly the same thing, ordered a set from Strings by Mail a couple of days ago, then the freebees showed up from D'addario yeseterday. Well, if they are as good as I remember from the beta set I tested last year, I'll be happy to have a spare set on hand.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I received mine as well (PB 12-53s) and will put them on my new Kramer Prairie Grass tomorrow. I had the betas on my Wingert. I liked them except that the feel was still a bit rougher than I like. Definitely an improvement though and they lasted longer than most other strings that I use. It will be interesting to see if they are noticeably different from or better than the strings that I beta tested a year ago.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 09-07-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

We don't think that there might be any possibility of repackaging to disguise price increases do we?
Old 09-07-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
We don't think that there might be any possibility of repackaging to disguise price increases do we?
Well, the strings that I beta tested sure felt to me different than either the PBS or EXPs. But, they have packaged these new strings in fancy, very chic looking black and silver with an X that looks like two designer paper clips posed for it. So, if marketing has done its job, they should sell very well no matter what's inside.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Good point, healthy cynicism. The XTs sell for the same price everywhere, no deals to be had.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I’ve had XT PB 12-53 on my SCGC OM for a day and like them so far. I’ve tried a variety of strings on that guitar and always find this guitar to be particularly sensitive to string selection. Over time I’ve settled on EXP PB Strings as the best option. However, I think these XT strings seem like a better option after several hours of play. Using a flat pick — there are no punchy mid G or sharp high E sounds to work with; and I find the Low E to be a bit deeper. Using fingers — I find there is a very nice balance and feel, with a little less squeak. I got the impression that the strings, especially the unwound B & E strings, seemed harder when I clipped them to length.

I pad $12.99 less 10% with free shipping with the Labor Day Sale at Strings and Beyond. I have a very favorable first impression. Time will tell.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I’ve had XT PB 12-53 on my SCGC OM for a day and like them so far. I’ve tried a variety of strings on that guitar and always find this guitar to be particularly sensitive to string selection. Over time I’ve settled on EXP PB Strings as the best option. However, I think these XT strings seem like a better option after several hours of play. Using a flat pick — there are no punchy mid G or sharp high E sounds to work with; and I find the Low E to be a bit deeper. Using fingers — I find there is a very nice balance and feel, with a little less squeak. I got the impression that the strings, especially the unwound B & E strings, seemed harder when I clipped them to length.

I pad $12.99 less 10% with free shipping with the Labor Day Sale at Strings and Beyond. I have a very favorable first impression. Time will tell.
If you notice any superiority, a few bucks extra is a pittance.
I have a 10 month supply of Elixir and D'Addario EXP in 80/20 and PB. When I'm done, I want to give the XTs another try. I was a beta tester who had a favorable impression.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:38 AM

I’m stoked to try them, repackaging or no. D’Addario is my preferred brand, so if they tweak something a bit, I’m curious to try them. I look forward to putting them on my Larrivee this weekend.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:43 AM

I signed up to be a beta tester but the beta strings never showed up...

I guess I'll have to go buy some and give them a try.

PJ
Old 09-07-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I put a set of PB 12s on my Lowden F-23 on Thursday.

Nah, not for me - thin and tinny-sounding. Took them off this morning and put on a set of the Elixir PB Nanos that I usually use on the Lowdens - immediate improvement.

Aa-a-and....breathe!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 09-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post

I signed up to be a beta tester but the beta strings never showed up...

I guess I'll have to go buy some and give them a try.

PJ
I should have waited a while before posting. My set just showed up today. I just put ‘em on my Gibson J15 and I’m liking them right away.

I’ll give them a couple hours on the guitar before I give them another go but first impressions are sounding really good so far.

Best
PJ
Old 09-07-2019, 06:52 PM

Sure enough, my sample pack came today. I Hope to put them on to
Oreos, but dang it, the 80/20 I have on it still sound so good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion