The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Default Fender F-1030 (ie. Harmony H165)

Hi, all. Just joined up today.

re. The 1969 or 1970 Fender F-1030, made by Harmony and styled after the H165. Somewhere, I've read that the fingerboard is Brazilian rosewood, but can anyone confirm this? Rosewood -- yes. But Brazilian? Apparently, Fender never included it in any of their catalogs, so complete, official specs about it remains a mystery.

Here's a pic of mine:

Old 07-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I can help with your question, but welcome to the forum. I have to say that, if that fretboard is Brazilian rosewood, it's the darkest-stained rosewood I've ever seen. Are you sure it's not ebony?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:33 AM

I have never even heard of a Harmony with an ebony board. Given the build dates of these it certainly could be a Braz rosewood board. It, of course, could also be a dyed fretboard. Harmony also built all-mahogany guitars for among others S. S. Stewart and Gretsch (the Burl Ives Jr.). One of the strange things about the Harmony H165 which sets them apart is the top and back edges were rounded right from their introduction in the early 1940s. Does yours have that feature?

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
I don't think I can help with your question, but welcome to the forum. I have to say that, if that fretboard is Brazilian rosewood, it's the darkest-stained rosewood I've ever seen. Are you sure it's not ebony?
Thanks! Glad to be here.

I've read in a couple places (I think Reverb listings) that it's Brazilian rosewood, but as for rosewood in general, ebony, etc. -- my knowledge is not very good. Here's some pics of the fingerboard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have never even heard of a Harmony with an ebony board. Given the build dates of these it certainly could be a Braz rosewood board. It, of course, could also be a dyed fretboard. Harmony also built all-mahogany guitars for among others S. S. Stewart and Gretsch (the Burl Ives Jr.). One of the strange things about the Harmony H165 which sets them apart is the top and back edges were rounded right from their introduction in the early 1940s. Does yours have that feature?
Yup, same round edges. I'd actually like to try out some other H165 (or, better yet, my exact Fender model), because the action on the 10th position and upwards is difficult to play, even after a reset and bone-bridge shavedown that my guitar just had, and I'm not sure if that's normal for this model. Great, ringing sound, though.

Last edited by shnaggletooth; 07-11-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say that it's probably Brazilian rosewood. Back before the shortage, Brazilian rosewood was just called "rosewood."

Optima dies, prima fugit

FOR SALE: Canadian Larrivee 0-01K
Old 03-29-2020, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

One of these has popped up on Reverb (neck just reset, cleaned up, professional setup) and I was wondering what you think of its tone.

...and a belated welcome to the AGF!
2013 Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass PJ
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 AM

These all have Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards.

Like the H-165, they are ladder braced guitars with Mahogany top, back and sides. The necks are poplar stained to look like Mahogany. Most H-165's have a top loader bridge like a classical guitar where the Fender branded ones have a string through bridge. The only other differences between the two are cosmetic. Like the later Harmony's, the Fender has an adjustable truss rod. I've never seen one that didn't need a neck set.

I'm a fan and with a bit of work, they can be nice guitars. I prefer the looks of the H-165 and they are typically a bit cheaper but both are nice. The sound is not for everyone but I have a restored and modified H-165 that is my main nighttime couch guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion