The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Default NG(order)D - Emerald Archtop ordered

Alistair, just take all my money.

After discussions with Alistair and photo options for veneer from Franck and Kevin, I finalized the veneer selection today for my next Emerald - an archtop with a koa veneer. I am hoping to be able to pick it up from the factory in person in August. I haven’t gotten the invoice yet (so it doesn’t feel entirely real yet), but I did get the email from Kevin that the wood has been reserved, so I guess it counts.

Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 03-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Very cool!

While I'm not in the market for an archtop, I am curious what the price point is...if you're allowed to share that? And what kind of options they are offering? The model isn't on their website yet.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:25 PM

Where's the like button?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Two enthusiastic thumbs up! Congrats on this upcoming build!
Old 03-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Guest 928

Wicked;

Beautiful selection of wood.

You can't get music from money, so you might as well give just give all your stash to Alistair--he is the alchemist.

If you are still considering turquoise, take a look at the fret markers on the Takamine Santa Fe nylon string.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:12 PM

Way cool, gonna be beautendous!! Or something like that.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Thank you everyone for the very kind comments. I am really excited about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Very cool!

While I'm not in the market for an archtop, I am curious what the price point is...if you're allowed to share that? And what kind of options they are offering? The model isn't on their website yet.
I personally don’t mind if anyone knows the cost - though I will admit, it is a lot more than my other Emeralds. But since the price is not public yet, I don’t want to disclose that without Alistair’s permission. He is in Bali on vacation right now but I will ask him if he is okay with me disclosing it online since it is still technically a custom or prototype.

I also don’t need an archtop, but the rule in my household is one guitar in, one guitar out. I have a stunningly beautiful Taylor K24ce with beautiful curly koa. But it is just way to big for me to play comfortably. So it is basically wall art. So I figured I would get an Emerald koa veneer to replace it - I thought about another X7 nylon, but decided to go with this after Alistair assured me that it would be more comfortable to play. Even though the lower bout is an inch wider, with the bevels and slim body width, it should be easier to play.

In a perfect world I would get a Synergy harp guitar but I can’t play harp guitar. So the archtop gives me a unique look and different sound. I’m not a gigging musician but the acoustic nature of the Emerald meant I could have an archtop without relying on dragging out my amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Wicked;

Beautiful selection of wood.

You can't get music from money, so you might as well give just give all your stash to Alistair--he is the alchemist.

If you are still considering turquoise, take a look at the fret markers on the Takamine Santa Fe nylon string.
Hey Evan - I have completely given up on the turquoise. Unfortunately that turned out to be a bad experiment for me. I love the X7 nylon itself but really should not have tried to get that turquoise - it ended up that I am not crazy about the dark blue it ended up being. I have complete faith in Emerald and the X7 in particular, and am contemplating ordering another one - just with a different visual. I am (this close) to placing an order for that now too so that both will be ready at the same time but don’t think I want both to be koa. As soon as I know what type of top visuals to try for a second X7 nylon, I will order that and sell the blue one.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 03-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Guest 928

Rust never sleeps, don't be denied, someone said. Go for it! You should also go after the harp, just to sharpen and expand your play. So beautiful, so exquisite, how can you resist?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
He is in Bali on vacation right now...
Cool! Just in time for Nyepi. Hope he brought some books to read as it will be a quiet day at the hotel tomorrow.

I went to Ireland for a harp guitar last fall. I absolutely loved it. I ended up putting in a custom order rather than bringing the harp guitar I played home. I don't know how to play one either. The two arch tops I played were amazing and enchanted me. Too many choices.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-07-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Too many choices.

So little time
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-18-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

As beautiful as this was going to be, I just emailed Kevin to cancel this order. It is no flaw of Emerald or the archtop, I am just concerned that the 17” body width and long neck scale are too big for me to play comfortably. I am short, with Tyrannasaurus Rex arms. I had been so uncomfortable lately trying to play my 16” 14-fret Taylor K24ce, to the point at which I finally decided to sell it and ordered a new concert sized 12-fret Taylor to be able to play instead. That led me to the decision that this might not be the best choice for me.

Alistair was nice enough to say that he and I could discuss a custom neck for it, but I was just too nervous to spend that much money and not be certain. I will just have to be jealous of the lucky folks that get one of these for now.

I am still excited for the upcoming X7 red nylon, and told them to deduct the cost of the veneer they cut for me from a refund for my deposit.

But I have nothing but amazing things to say about Emerald. I can’t think of many other guitar companies out there willing to redesign a guitar to fit me.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Sorry to hear that, but it is probably for the best. 17" is a lot of guitar to handle.
My Eastman archtop is the same size, and even for an average height guy like me it is hard to play it sitting down.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 PM

Too bad, but your trepidation is understandable - 17" is a lot of guitar to hug. Since my fall and shoulder injury in January I have not played my X30, which is also 17" across. I did play slack key on your former X7 koa for about a half hour last night. (Alice is out of town and I have no adult supervision). X7 is the only thing I can reach around right now.

No hurry on my decision, but X30 - while VERY cool - seems to be one size too big, while X20 is perfect for me. And I'm a big NFL lineman sized guy at 6'-6" and a 78" wingspan between fingertips.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Guest 928

Bet you don't have a 78" wingspan now. Hopefully, 2-3 months from now.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
I am short, with Tyrannasaurus Rex arms.
Trying to get a visual...ok...got it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber