The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Austin guitar shopping

Hi everyone, I'm visiting Austin, Tx in mid-April. I plan to take the Collings tour which will inevitably lead to guitar shopping! Any guitar shops folks can recommend? Also, does anyone have a good site for tracking the local live music scene in terms of a calendar of live shows going on in town? Thanks! Mike
Old 03-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Austin Vintage Guitars is one of the best guitar shops I've been in, definitely would recommend visiting.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Guest 728

Austin Vintage Guitars for sure (they have more than just vintage, btw), and Guitar Resurrection would be my guitar store recommendations. Also Fiddler's Green. The Austin Chronicle will have listings for music and entertainment. The Cactus Cafe is probably the best acoustic room in town, but there's way too much live music to list here.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:57 PM

When I did the Collings tour a few years ago they only did it on Friday afternoons at 3:30, if I recall correctly. Also, the # of people was strictly limited.

Of course, this could have changed, but just a heads-up that you should contact them now to make the proper arrangements.

Of course you could be way ahead of me on this. I really enjoyed the tour, and it was much better than the tour I had of a similar operation elsewhere.

Enjoy it, and Austin in general. I lived there 1969-73, when it was WAY smaller!

Fiddler's Green is a cool music store, and Torchy's Tacos are really good.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 03-06-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Austin Vintage Guitars is one of the best guitar shops I've been in, definitely would recommend visiting.

This. I live near the shop, but would travel much longer distances to frequent this place. I love it.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

South Austin Music and Strait Music are both worth a visit.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-06-2019, 04:02 PM

I like to make an occasional visit to Austin Vintage Guitars but it is mostly what you expect, mostly used. They are the Collings dealer in Austin and they may have 10 total Collings including used and Waterloo. I think maybe there is another Collings dealer now, don't remember the shop name, but it looks like they hardly have any either. No one has really replaced Hill Country Guitars for a Collings inventory in Austin. Seems like every time I go to Austin Vintage Guitars, I run into Eric Johnson.

I like Strait. They have some nice Martins and Taylors and are good people.

I have never cared for Guitar Resurrection. They have a reputation of look, don't touch. It is north of town and I haven't been there for years.

You are right about the Collings tour - it is 3:30 on Friday afternoon and you should make your reservation a couple of weeks in advance as numbers are limited and it does fill up.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 PM

There are a gazillion music venues. Cactus is the iconic acoustic venue. in the UT student union. You should also look at places like The Continental Club, Antone's, The Saxon Pub on Sunday night in particular. Ginny's Little Longhorn ( I think it is now just Little Longhorn). There are so many and there are always a bunch of touring bands in town. You will find bar after bar with bands on 6th Street with a bunch of drunk tourists and drunker college students. If you have never been to Austin, I think you need to take a mandatory walk down 6th street. If Dale Watson is in town, he is not to be missed.

I volunteer for Austin City Limits TV show. I only see one taping in April - 4/9 with the Revivalists. That is worth going to if you can get in. The have drawings for tickets about a week before the event on their website.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I wish Hill Country was still the awesome shop it used to be, but I also like Austin Vintage. You'll enjoy that, but the Collings tour might do you in. You might want to place an order on the way out the door. It's a remarkable tour... they do things right. Tell them all the AGF says hi!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:09 PM

I love Fiddler’s Green. Bought my mandolin there. Great shop, great folks.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Austin Vintage Guitars is indeed a mostly used shop, as implied by the name. But they’re a Collings dealer.

I visit every week or two. The guitar turnover is robust. A major plus for me.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Austin Guitar House is the other Collings dealer. They specialize in boutique electrics though, so the acoustic choices are limited. Really nice folks and close to downtown, so worth a stop.

The guys at Guitar Rez are always nice to me - maybe because I've bought a number of guitars and basses there over the years. If you want to play a new Santa Cruz or Lowden, it's the only game in town. They also have the best selection of Gibsons by far, though they keep the best stuff in the back.

South Austin Music is always worth a visit, as is Fiddler's Green (especially if you play any other stringed instruments), but if you only have time for one shop, I have to agree that Austin Vintage is the best of what's left. I miss Hill Country Guitars badly.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 PM

Might be to early for mid-April but Railroad Earth is doing April 5-6 at the Scoot Inn, a very cool local venue.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for these suggestions! I've locked in the Collings tour and can't wait! I plan to visit at least a couple of these recommended shops as well. Should be a great time!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM

Guitar Resurrection is my favorite shop.
Then Austin Vintage Guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion