The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Default Emerald X30 Light/Medium (12-56) Strings

I usually string my acoustic guitars with Elixir light (12-53) strings. I have in the past used custom light, HD light and medium. With medium strings I always felt the treble strings were almost too stiff to ring out properly which led to an unbalanced sound. I just finished stringing my X30 with Elixir light/medium (12-56) strings (80/20 bronze), a gauge that I have never used before. I must say I think they're a really good match for the X30. The heavy bass strings bring out the bottom end on this guitar but doesn't dominate against the lighter treble strings, at least to my ears. Really happy with this string gauge. The 80/20 coupled with a bone saddle brightens this guitar up real nice to where I like it.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

I have been using the light-mediums on the X10; doesn’t seem to change the plugged in sound, but makes for a nice balanced acoustic tone.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have been using the light-mediums on the X10; doesn’t seem to change the plugged in sound, but makes for a nice balanced acoustic tone.
Nice to hear that they're nicely balanced on the X10 as well. My only regret is buying one set as I'm now curious how they would sound on the old Gibby as well. Now I need an excuse to sneak away and head back to the music store.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I use Med. Light Elixir PB on my X30 and love them on this particular guitar.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-06-2019, 06:11 AM

My X30 is still on the factory light gauge strings, but will get medium-lights at its first string change.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Nice to see some love for this string gauge. I had a few hour session last night with the new strings and am quite happy. I definitely noticed the increased low end while plugged in though, not a bad thing of course as that's what this guitar was made for.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:11 PM

I've been playing with 13/56s and, although I love the sound, when I picked up my buddy's guitar with 12s it felt like an absolute breeze to play compared to mine. May back down to this suggestion.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I've been playing with 13/56s and, although I love the sound, when I picked up my buddy's guitar with 12s it felt like an absolute breeze to play compared to mine. May back down to this suggestion.
I hope you're surprised like I was. I made a special trip down to the music store today to grab another set!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:01 AM

I wish Elixir would make a True Medium set (13-17-24-32-42-56). I have D’Addario EJ24 in my Martin right now and love them- perfect balance between Medium and lights. Goldilocks strings were talkin’. But something more durable or coated makes sense for my OF660 and I’ve yet to find a coated string with this gauge. Lucky for me I happen to love Retros with CF and the (“LJ’s Choice) Retros are these exact specs. Just would be nice to have a PB or 80/20 to trade off with.

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-07-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I wish Elixir would make a True Medium set (13-17-24-32-42-56). I have D’Addario EJ24 in my Martin right now and love them- perfect balance between Medium and lights. Goldilocks strings were talkin’. But something more durable or coated makes sense for my OF660 and I’ve yet to find a coated string with this gauge. Lucky for me I happen to love Retros with CF and the (“LJ’s Choice) Retros are these exact specs. Just would be nice to have a PB or 80/20 to trade off with.
I find it strange that D'Addario strings are my favorite brand electric guitar strings even before NYXL, which is all I use now, but I could never jive with their strings on my acoustics and I don't really know why. I certainly don't like any coated strings on my electrics but appreciate the longevity on acoustics. I seem to always come back to Elixir's on my acoustics, really like the low string squeak from them but I must say after trying the 12-56 gauge they really seem to suit my playing style switching from strumming to fingerstyle they don't lack anything at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber