The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-22-2019, 12:01 PM

Default Crazy pickup upgrade inCA GXi

Hi all,

I have a CA GXi that is my main gigging guitar and I want to set up a pickup system in it similar to the Taylor T5, Emerald Level 2 or better yet, the New Fender Acoustisonic. I’m committed to the GXi because my tendonitis flares up when I play thicker guitars like my Taylor. Also, I gig in Mexico for 6 months per year on the beach so it’s subjected to heat, salt and abuse making CF the chosen material. I’m considering an Emerald X10 but am concerned that the fit may disagree with my tendonitis.

I’m looking for either a boutique system or possible a guru out there to spec out a possible solution. I do a lot of live looping and bang on my guitar to add percussion loops. The current LR Baggs element lacks crispness that I see in guitars with soundboard sensors so getting crisp tone when I tap the top is important. Better yet I’d different areas of the top will yield different tones. I also love the idea of a humbucker that allows me to crank it up a notch for electric parts.

I’d like to be able to blend the piezo and humbucker like on the Taylor T5, Fender Acoustisonic or and Emerald with Level 2 electronics.

Perhaps the most elegant solution would be to try to snag a complete Setup from Emerald, Taylor or Fender? Personally, I’d prefer the Femder solution for ease of control and positioning.

So that’s the challenge...install a pickup system with Piezo, Soundboard sensors and Humbucker all in a one pin out solution.

Any ideas?

Composite Acoustics GXi
Composite Acoustics Cargo
1991 Taylor 614ce
2003 Taylor 814ce
1988 Larrivee C10e
1971 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2015 Prestige Heritage
2020 Prestige Ace Coupe
2019 Emerald X10
2021 Emerald Virtuo
Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM

It sure sounds to me like an Emerald x10 would be right up your lane.

I say talk to Alister, etc.. at Emerald about your tendinitis concerns...
Old 02-22-2019, 12:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
It sure sounds to me like an Emerald x10 would be right up your lane.

I say talk to Alister, etc.. at Emerald about your tendinitis concerns...
I agree. A discussion with Alistair should allow you to realize the perfect guitar for you, whether to best help you deal with your tendinitis or electronics. Emerald’s ability to customize to a client’s needs is second to none.

Btw, welcome to the AGF, David. As a fellow Canuck, it seems like you have a pretty good gig going for yourself. I winter in SW Florida, but not gigging.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the site David ! This sounds interesting, good luck with your search.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:19 PM
Guest 928

It sounds as thought the saving grace of the CA is the neck. Emerald can make any neck that works for you.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:49 PM

Yes, the X10 would make sense but on top of spending 4K, I suspect that the added depth (1.25” thicker)will irritate my tendonitis to a point that I won’t be able to play the guitar anymore. It only takes 15 minutes on my Taylor’s to feel it start to ache so I’d like to try to work with the CA. Again, a Taylor T5 or Acoustisonic won’t work because they’re wood. I leave my gear in the car in Mexico because it’s alarmed and always close. The heat will kill a wooden guitar in weeks so not a viable solution.

Composite Acoustics GXi
1991 Taylor 614ce
2003 Taylor 814ce
1988 Larrivee C10e
2015 Prestige Heritage
2020 Prestige Ace Coupe
2019 Emerald X10
2021 Emerald Virtuo
Old 02-22-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I agree. A discussion with Alistair should allow you to realize the perfect guitar for you, whether to best help you deal with your tendinitis or electronics. Emerald’s ability to customize to a client’s needs is second to none.

Btw, welcome to the AGF, David. As a fellow Canuck, it seems like you have a pretty good gig going for yourself. I winter in SW Florida, but not gigging.
+1 to this. Well said.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Body depth on the GXi is 4.68", on the X10 it is 4.75"... so .08 difference in depth. With the arm bevel and the rib bevel on the X10, it feels smaller than the numbers would suggest. The GXi is (was) available with the wide or narrow neck (not sure if that is still the case), so 1 3/4" or 1 11/16"; the X10 is standard with the 1 11/16" nut width and the 25.5" scale.

I have the X10 with the level 2 pickups; an interesting combination with the humbucking pickup and the individual piezo pickups at the bridge. You can use a TSR 1/4" cable with a "Y" and run the pickups to different amps (or an electric amp and a PA). The 3 way switch on the guitar lets you select either pickup alone or both. If you use a more typical 1/4" cable you get both pickups to a single source, but you can still blend them with the switch in the middle.

I can also compare this to the T5, since I still have one of those. From my perspective, the T5 is a unique electric guitar that does a decent job of giving you an acoustic sound, but has its own electric sound (colored by the amp/pedals you use with it). I am a big fan of the T5.

The X10 with level 2 pickups gives a better acoustic sound, plugged in or not. It gives a good clean electric sound with the humbucking pickup; again, the amp and pedals you would use will make a difference. A good acoustic sound with the piezo. For pure electric work, I would lean towards the T5, but I do use Elixir electric light strings (.10 - .46) on that, where I am using Elixir Nanoweb PB lights (.12 - .53) on the X10. The neck feel on the T5 and X10 is quite similar. 5-way switch on the T5 for combining the pickups, 3 way switch on the X10. Both are very versatile. The X10 feels a lot lighter than the T5, but I haven't weighed them. The X10 feels like a nice acoustic guitar, the T5 reminds me of my ES-335. Very different instruments.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

David, of course, cost could be an issue. That said, if you can handle that (just gig more ), Emerald can dial-in exactly what you want, including neck shape and profile. They’ll even send you a mold to capture the shape you want from a favorite guitar. I had owned a GXi, so if you can handle that guitar, especially given just a slight body depth difference as Captain Jim states, I can’t imagine that you wouldn’t be able to handle a custom Emerald.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Guest 928

Alistair can also make a slim-line acoustic that makes the 10 a nice hug.

Since I started using Emerald guitars, my front screen door has stopped squeaking. My refrigerator has stopped its constant defrosting. My wife has been in a much better mood. My dog obeys my every command. Hard to beat an Emerald. I've given several to my wife. She doesn't play, you can see the obvious magic to that.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

And i thought we finally had a topic not about Emeralds. LOL
You forgot that you are better looking and your feet don't smell EvanB
Old 02-23-2019, 07:39 AM

Thanks so much for all the angles we’re looking at here. I think the depth measurements that are concerning me are in mid bowl on the guitar. The GXi in about 2.75” deep in the middle and flares out to 4.5’is at the heel. perhaps thats why I find it so comfy to play. Does anyone have both the GXi and the X10 that they could post a side profile pic so I can see what the Emerald does in the middle? That may help in making the decision.

As a guitarist, I’m Acoustic first and electric second so the Emerald wins handily over T5. And I have to say, Emerald had a cocibolo select series that he just sold out that is perhaps the most magnificent instrument I’ve ever seen. Still, I have to keep focus on why I’m looking at a change in guitars and that reason is tone that takes me up a notch to the electric world quickly with a flick of a switch. If I did the Emerald, I’d probably add the midi option. For only a few hundred extra, the option is there if ever needed.

Most of the guitars that have stayed with me for years were purchased when I wasn’t even looking to buy. Each one stood out and clicked immediately. I struggle a bit buying a guitar that I’ve not spent time with running it thru it’s paces. I know Emerald has a very good return policy but I know it would be like a puppy and I’d keep it.

Your fanaticism for the Emeralds is contagious making me take a deeper look. I’ll contact Alistair for a consult. The emotional side of me says, “Danm it, I’m 60, I’ve worked hard all my life and deserve another magnificent instrument. Do it once and do it right David”.

Anybody wanna buy a well used but very cosy GXi?

Composite Acoustics GXi
1991 Taylor 614ce
2003 Taylor 814ce
1988 Larrivee C10e
2015 Prestige Heritage
2020 Prestige Ace Coupe
2019 Emerald X10
2021 Emerald Virtuo
Old 02-23-2019, 08:01 AM

Oh, and one major question for those with the X10, when you tap on the top, is it a thud or a nice crisp percussive sound that comes out of the PA? That Feber Acoustasonic sounded incredible in the videos when banged on...very woody and percussive. It would be a dream machine if it filled that sonic spot.

You’re all evil and deserve a commission from Alistair. Lol.

Composite Acoustics GXi
1991 Taylor 614ce
2003 Taylor 814ce
1988 Larrivee C10e
2015 Prestige Heritage
2020 Prestige Ace Coupe
2019 Emerald X10
2021 Emerald Virtuo
Old 02-25-2019, 10:04 AM

The X10 doesn't have a soundboard transducer of any kind, stock. I'm sure one could be added, but I don't know how it would integrate with the controls. Replacing your Element w/ an Anthem or another dual source system seems like it would work for you, for much less money!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber