The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Bye, Martin. I'm wood guitar free!

Well, the deed is done. The battle is over and technology and performance won out over sentiment and tradition. I spent several month's A/B/C'ing my three guitars and each and every time the Martin came out last. No matter how I tried to interpret the results, no matter what lens I viewed it through.

I was going to wait until Spring weather but I decided to throw it up in the classifieds since sometimes guitars can tend to wallow there a bit of time. I didn't think it would and and it didn't. I had a PM in about 5 minutes from a guy that wanted it and paid me my full asking price. In the two days it took us to finalize I had three more on PM telling me to 'consider it sold' if the people in line before them backed out.

I shipped it out yesterday and the buyer got it today. I am wood guitar free. No more humidifier hassles. No more worry about cracks, dents, scratches, warping, neck resets, bridge cracks, bridge belly's, too-hot, too-cold, too-dry, too-humid, too-rowdy, constant retuning. I won't say that I'll never own a wood guitar again. In fact, I'm sure I probably will. But I'm really enjoying this feeling of freedom.

Time to update my sig line again.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

I shipped it out yesterday and the buyer got it today. I am wood guitar free.

I am gonna miss that piece of wood..sigh.. wait... I never even played or saw it...never mind.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 PM

Well congratulations, sorta. I was in that same situation, I guess I still am. Sold all wood guitars except for a Gibson custom. My plan was to sell it this coming spring. Ever since receiving my X30 in October, the Gibson hasn't received any love. Once a week I open the case to refill the case & soundhole humidifier (which annoys me). Last week I actually decided to take it out and play it and it was like "newfound love" all over again. While I don't think it's better or worse than the X30 it's an amazing guitar that I recently decided I would be foolish to part with so I'm keeping it. When I told the wife she immediately said "I thought you were going to sell that guitar to recover the money you spent on the X20 that's been ordered". I changed the subject and walked away as fast as I could.......
Old 02-20-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

So, I guess you've freed up some space for that X10 Custom, huh?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Well congratulations, sorta. I was in that same situation, I guess I still am. Sold all wood guitars except for a Gibson custom. My plan was to sell it this coming spring. Ever since receiving my X30 in October, the Gibson hasn't received any love. Once a week I open the case to refill the case & soundhole humidifier (which annoys me). Last week I actually decided to take it out and play it and it was like "newfound love" all over again. While I don't think it's better or worse than the X30 it's an amazing guitar that I recently decided I would be foolish to part with so I'm keeping it. When I told the wife she immediately said "I thought you were going to sell that guitar to recover the money you spent on the X20 that's been ordered". I changed the subject and walked away as fast as I could.......
LOL!!

Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, the deed is done. The battle is over and technology and performance won out over sentiment and tradition. I spent several month's A/B/C'ing my three guitars and each and every time the Martin came out last. No matter how I tried to interpret the results, no matter what lens I viewed it through.

I was going to wait until Spring weather but I decided to throw it up in the classifieds since sometimes guitars can tend to wallow there a bit of time. I didn't think it would and and it didn't. I had a PM in about 5 minutes from a guy that wanted it and paid me my full asking price. In the two days it took us to finalize I had three more on PM telling me to 'consider it sold' if the people in line before them backed out.

I shipped it out yesterday and the buyer got it today. I am wood guitar free. No more humidifier hassles. No more worry about cracks, dents, scratches, warping, neck resets, bridge cracks, bridge belly's, too-hot, too-cold, too-dry, too-humid, too-rowdy, constant retuning. I won't say that I'll never own a wood guitar again. In fact, I'm sure I probably will. But I'm really enjoying this feeling of freedom.

I’m on my iPhone so I can’t see a sig line. What are the other two keepers?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Congrats Methos, from one of the guys who missed out on the 000!
JF
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 02-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
LOL!!

Lol that's pretty good!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Last week I actually decided to take it out and play it and it was like "newfound love" all over again.
I kind of thought (hoped?) this would be the case with my Martin. And while the tone was extremely good and it was also just a gorgeous guitar, it wasn't better than the other two. And the other two were better at other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
So, I guess you've freed up some space for that X10 Custom, huh?
No immediate plans. I'm a two-guitar guy so while I'll never say never I'm also in no hurry to get back into THAT black hole ordering/waiting game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I’m on my iPhone so I can’t see a sig line. What are the other two keepers?
I have two Emerald Custom Woody's - an X20 and an X7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafranks View Post
Congrats Methos, from one of the guys who missed out on the 000!
JF
Sorry, buddy. There's actually a very interesting story about the buyer and how that all came to be that I plan to post in a day or so.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Lol that's pretty good!
I love memes. Doesn't help that I have a teenage daughter who is really starting to get a humorous side and sends memes all the time. I really did laugh out loud at your "walked away as fast as I could" comment.

My wife is not nearly the enabler you folks are, and I wouldn't even have what I have If not for teamwork. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I can relate! I'm sure gassing for an emerald X7, just don't dare tell my wife that
Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 PM

Congrats on the sale, Methos! I have been thinking if I sell my GPC28, maybe it justifies X20 purchase. HaHa, never sold much anything but the pressure is building...
Old 02-23-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I love memes. Doesn't help that I have a teenage daughter who is really starting to get a humorous side and sends memes all the time. I really did laugh out loud at your "walked away as fast as I could" comment.

My wife is not nearly the enabler you folks are, and I wouldn't even have what I have If not for teamwork. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I can relate! I'm sure gassing for an emerald X7, just don't dare tell my wife that
Yeah I love memes also, that one made me laugh hard. I won't be showing it to the old ball and chain though. She loves me playing guitar but she hates me spending money...go figure. Perhaps I should tell Alistair maybe he'll have pity and give me the X20 for free!
Old 02-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad I don't have to make that choice. I probably play my RS parlor more than the others I do still find great enjoyment with my Martins. And given I bought well they seem to be appreciating in value. Perhaps my kids and grandkids will enjoy them when I'm gone.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber