The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz0Sscke9z4

The above link is to the Everly Brothers playing "I'll Do My Crying In The Rain" live. They have slowed the song down considerably from their original recording, which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_6qQEyCSv8

The good thing about the live recording is that with things slowed down, you can hear what they are doing a little better and the strumming from their live playing is really emphasized.

I have been thinking of recording this song for my YouTube channel since I have been on an Everly Brothers kick lately. I will see what I can get done in the next few days and post here if I can get a live recording done.

I'm sorry that this is frustrating for the OP. Maybe in the process of doing the recording I will get some insight into how to describe the strumming pattern.

Thanks,
Glenn
Along with what Mr. Beaumont did, I feel compelled to say it's nice to see genuine offerings of help in a spirit of kindness as opposed to "why would you bother people in the Play and Write section of a guitar forum with your inept question" comments...
From an observer, I just wanted to say thanks.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 PM

Default Need help with strumming pattern for Everly Brothers “I’ll Do My Crying In The Rain”

Not sure I understand the rather dismissive responses to a basic question either.

I’m an advancing beginner and I can say without question that rhythm patterns are the hardest thing for me in this journey. I’m getting better but it is the toughest obstacle for me hands down.

The typical “just figure it out” advice is hard to follow if you are relatively new to this.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster

Last edited by JBCROTTY; 01-12-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Hi All,

This is a free lesson on how to play the Everly Brothers 1962 song, "Crying in the Rain" by David Coverdale and Howard Greenfield. I hope this might be helpful. Sometimes an instructional video provides answers even if I don't think to address a specific question.

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

There are certain basics, especially after some time interval (eight years now), where the best thing you can do for someone is to encourage
him or her to train their ears well enough to figure things out on their own. That's a big payoff and how one makes progress.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
To the OP - I don't wish to be mean, we all started as beginners and the above is aimed rather at those who promote the idea of learning such patterns. Why not get a few guitar lessons with a good teacher, learn basic strumming rhythm along with chord changes, learn to accent as you please and you will never once have to learn a 'strumming pattern'.
I am sure there are a bunch of ways the thing can be strummed, and the artist himself may play it differently at every show, never mind other artists. Still, a particular recording has particular strumming on it. A lot of us try to get as close to that as we can. I understand there are a lot of reasons someone might wish to depart from that. But to me, learning a song, I want to at least start with getting as close to what is played on the record as I can.

Certainly, learning a bunch of strumming patterns and ways to accent helps. But sometimes you just need somebody to tell you what exactly is happening on the record.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write