The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Installed K&K in my Emerald X20 (hurray)

After receiving the K&K Pure Mini today, I removed the Baggs Element pickup which had given me random issues with a boomy low E string. I then dutifully clamped the strings with a capo, and loosened them so I could remove the strings and the pins from the bridge.

My X20 did have a bump inside under the bridge that was almost aligned with the saddle, so I sanded that a bit with a block covered with 150 grit sandpaper. The carbon fiber sanding dust is black as coal (guess they are related). After wiping it clean, I used a string of led Christmas lights to light up the inside of the guitar. While the instructions say to center the pizeo discs under the saddle, I moved mine a bit toward the headstock to get them on a level surface. This made me a bit apprehensive.

I also discovered that the offset soundhole on the X20, prevents the standard install procedure from working out. I installed the first disc using the supplied jig. But when I reached for the second disc, it would not reach the bridge area because of the greater distance from the offset sound hole to the bridge. So I installed the putty on the jig for the second disc per the instructions, but then moved the jig to the soundhole so I could attach the second disc to the putty...and it worked out that way for the second and third discs

After about an hour of fiddling around, I pulled out my Fishman amp to try out the new pickup. And to my delight, it works just fine.

Amazingly this "passive" pickup provides a stronger signal to my amp. Had to turn it down a bit. But the sound is balanced from lows to highs. So, thanks, K&K.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:15 PM

If you’d checked YouTube there are demos on installing all three SBT’s at once. I’ve used this process a number of times and it works. When working on Emeralds you need to sand any surface that you are mounting to (pickup, pre-amp, wiring clamps etc.). I use a 150 grit sanding pad as they are easier to use than sandpaper and a wood block.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Actually, I had seen the youtube three-at-once installs, but I thought with this being my first time, that one at a time would be less prone to a mishap.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Guest 928

ZeeWay; You are zee way. Thank you for the experience. I like the K&K a lot. I like the Barbera more, but that may be a matter of personal taste.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 AM

I don't think sanding is a good solution for K&K installation and is not what Emerald does at the factory. Depending how they sandwich the CF material, you could do structural damage as many CF guitars are constructing by separating thin layers of CF with a light weight spacer.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...9&postcount=18
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I agree that you should not sand the guitar enough to take out the internal bump...so I didn't. Alistair told me in an email that they actually bond in an extra layer of carbon fiber under the saddle to accommodate the pickup...but that was not an option for me. So all this info (maybe too much info) made me nervous about messing up my all-time favorite guitar...but it worked out.

And it may be my imagination, but the guitar seems more resonant now (even unplugged). I think that eliminating the "stuff" attached to the interior of the guitar may have contributed to the additional resonance.

I was also concerned that the saddle would be too short without the Baggs piezo element under it, and that I may have to replace it. But I decided to try it with the same saddle, and all is well.

And I continue to be amazed at the output of those three little K&K discs...

Last edited by zeeway; 01-08-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
And it may be my imagination, but the guitar seems more resonant now (even unplugged). I think that eliminating the "stuff" attached to the interior of the guitar may have contributed to the additional resonance.
You might have the first "scalloped" CF guitar. When you remove some of the CF on one side of the spacer you weaken the top. If it is supposed to rock back and forth at the bridge, as asserted by some, then a little weakening might be good.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber