The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Warm Audio WA-47 large diaphragm tube condenser mic

I posted a new video HERE where I used what is for me a new microphone for the vocal, a Warm Audio WA-47 microphone. THIS is Warm Audio's description of the mic. Here is an interesting review.

You can download the user's manual for the WA-47 HERE. The frequency response graphs are on page 6 of the manual.

This mic is Warm Audio's attempt to clone the famous Neumann U-47 tube condenser mic. Regardless of how close of a job Warm Audio did on this task -- reviewers have suggested that their knock-off job was not perfect -- it is still a good sounding mic. These mics are on sale right now around the Internet for about $750, which is expensive, but nothing like the cost of a decent quality used Neumann U-47.

I like the sound of this microphone. I have never used a real Neumann U-47 tube mic, so I have absolutely no idea how the original and knock-off WA-47 would compare. For my uses in a home studio, I feel privileged to have the WA-47 right now. It does have a very nice warm sound and it has a very nice upper frequency sheen to it.

I hope some folks find this interesting.

- Glenn
Old 12-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I posted a new video HERE where I used what is for me a new microphone for the vocal, a Warm Audio WA-47 microphone. THIS is Warm Audio's description of the mic. Here is an interesting review.

You can download the user's manual for the WA-47 HERE. The frequency response graphs are on page 6 of the manual.

This mic is Warm Audio's attempt to clone the famous Neumann U-47 tube condenser mic. Regardless of how close of a job Warm Audio did on this task -- reviewers have suggested that their knock-off job was not perfect -- it is still a good sounding mic. These mics are on sale right now around the Internet for about $750, which is expensive, but nothing like the cost of a decent quality used Neumann U-47.

I like the sound of this microphone. I have never used a real Neumann U-47 tube mic, so I have absolutely no idea how the original and knock-off WA-47 would compare. For my uses in a home studio, I feel privileged to have the WA-47 right now. It does have a very nice warm sound and it has a very nice upper frequency sheen to it.

I hope some folks find this interesting.

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn! I've been wondering about this mic since its arrival on the market. Your review is encouraging to those on the fence about its purchase.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-16-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, Glenn! I've been wondering about this mic since its arrival on the market. Your review is encouraging to those on the fence about its purchase.
Thanks for your feedback SpruceTop! I'm glad you found my information interesting! I hope you are well and you and your family are enjoying the holidays!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD