The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2018, 06:05 AM

Default Volume of a certain strings is changing (piezzo)

On a Yamaha piezzo-equipped guitar, I'm getting problems with sudden weaker output of 5th and 6th string. The interesting issue is that, if I use my fingers and mess a little with a spot where the string touches the saddle, I'm getting the right (stronger) output, but then it goes away after a while (and comes back again when I move the string, or knock on the saddle a bit). How to solve this?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:40 AM

It is possible that the saddle slot is not perfectly flat, or the saddle bottom is not perfectly flat (maybe due to wood movement), that the saddle has developed a fracture, or even the transducer has gone bad. A few slips of paper between the saddle and the transducer under those two strings might be a cheap fix. A new saddle is the next DIY option. Then to a repair shop for more complicated work.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-12-2018, 08:22 AM

I have put a flat thin layer of super glue under the saddle's high e area once. It worked and gave more contact between the saddle and the piezo thus increasing the volume of the e string a bit more. Ideally, though, I'd spend the time and effort and have a good luthier look at the guitar (if it's the kind of guitar worth spending $100+ on, that is).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification