The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

View Poll Results: Are You Bringing Your Taylor?
You bet. I never travel alone. 15 68.18%
Not me. I'm not handing my Taylor over to the airline. 4 18.18%
I'm counting on buying one there. 3 13.64%
I don't own a guitar. I just wanna listen. 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2002, 06:53 AM

Question Who's Bringing Their Guitar?

I thought this might be interesting. I'm driving, so, no problem.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

710ceLTD is making the trip with me AND I plan on buying one there...well, ordering one...but yeah, I will have mine with me

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 04-18-2002, 07:19 AM

Im bringing a guitar, just not sure which one yet.

The real question is, will "us students" bring them out of the rooms when in the presents of the talent among us?

Won a strap from the B.I.W.B. contest.
Ibanez AW300NT (its a new start)
Old 04-18-2002, 08:00 AM

Or you can do what Ryan and I plan on doing...making fools of ourselves during the open mic. Well, actually we do plan on practicing so we won't be THAT bad. But I know I want it to be more about fun then showcasing any talent (or lack of).

But I am hoping to take my guitar with me. It will be hard to do anything for the open mic without a guitar. I just have to get up the nerve to take my guitar on a plane. There is the chance that I might drive, but it's doubtful.

Jennifer
Old 04-18-2002, 08:51 AM

If I go then I will have to have a guitar. I won't be able to function without a guitar. Any chance that Taylor could provide us with a loaner? I know it's asking a lot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

David
Old 04-18-2002, 10:32 AM

I'm commuting, so bringing a guitar isn't a problem. I'll probably bring my trusty 615, and may just bring the 714 to show off too. Whatever I have will be available to a guitar-less person who wants to perform at the open mic. There's just the small matter of some papers to sign....

As for general-use loaners (jams and such), I have 2-3 beaters I could bring along for that purpose. They're not Taylors, but they play well and beat sitting around on your hands. They won't be available on Thursday night because I'm not driving down until Friday (unless someone wants to pay my hotel bill... ), but they could stay with someone until I leave on Saturday night. In case you're wondering, the lineup is a Seagull S6 Folk, Fender Redondo, and Tacoma EM9 (kinda hesitant, but it'd probably be okay).

BTW, I may be selling the Fender. It's a Japanese plywood dread with a Strat headstock and an EMG piezo pickup. Anyone with some small coin and a taste for oddball guitars might want to drop me an email.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:14 PM

I have a few beaters to I guess.
If there is someone who is not bringing one, I would be happy to loan ya one of mine.......

Old 04-18-2002, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

This is an issue I have really wrestled with since I want to bring my guitar so badly. I have come to a decision that I don't want to risk my guitar with the airlines.

Rsimper, I did check our what you said about the gate check and they said "no problem". What I still don't know is if you are gate-checking and changing planes, how does that work? Forgive my ignorance

The airlines are so strict on size now that I would even have to check my little Larrivee parlor. If I do bring a guitar at all, it will be the travel one. I am a little bummed about this, but I can't replace any of my Taylors in the unfortunate event that something were to happen. They are all 2000 models, so to get any of those appointments of course would be custom now. Too risky to me.

While I certainly don't presume to expect it, it would be awesome if there were a couple of 314's available on open mic night.

At any rate, it will be fun even if I don't get to play, I still get to hear all your brave souls who are bringing yours!

Lisa
Old 04-18-2002, 02:38 PM

I might be able to address this since I work for an airline.

For my company, when you gate check anything, generally it is waiting at the bottom of the stairs when you deplane.....now how the "big boys" do it with the jetway boarding I cant answer. I assume it is still there waiting for you to get off the plane.
In either case you have to trust the "ramp agent" to handle your pride and joy as if it were thier own.

Old 04-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info Ed
We are flying United so I don't know if it differs with them.

Lisa
Old 04-18-2002, 03:07 PM

United is like most other major carriers. The Gate Agent would put a "Gate Check" tag on your guitar and it would be hand walked down to the belly of the plane with all the other strollers and stuff. Then when your plane lands, by the time you step off the plane your guitar will be sitting there waiting for you to take to the next plane. You repeat the same procedure for the second plane. You may actually get lucky and be allowed to stow your guitar in the 1st class closet if it's not too crowded on one or both of the planes, but don't bet on it.

Jennifer

P.S. Oh My Gosh Darn Goodness!!!!!! I typed this message and it went right over my head that it was my big 200. How could I be so careless?! I finally become a Senior member and I almost miss the occasion. Good thing it hit me before I wrote another post. hehehehe

Last edited by jmeinel; 04-18-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on Senior member Jennifer.
Thanks for the info too.
Lisa
Old 04-18-2002, 04:29 PM

Lightbulb

Although I'll be fortunate enough to travel in a car, I must make this observation.

I know that everyone feels like they'll be giving their first born child to the airlines to be stowed in the cargo hold. But wait. There's about 8 gazillion pros that do it everyday! Yeah, I know. They most likely have enough gold to buy another one at the drop of a hat, but, most pro musicians that I know, prefer to play what they're used to.

In addition, if you have one of the "hard cases", it was designed just with this in mind. And lastly, think about where you're taking it. Right to the factory. In the unlikely event that there is some damage, airline tend to pay off reasonably quickly. And if there were some damage, just leave it in Bob Taylors good hands.

I know that this will instill little confidance or ease the mental anguish of giving up your geetar to the "luggage gorillas", but, it is something to think about. I for one would like to hear from anyone with good or bad experineces when they've check their Taylors. Anyone?????

Oh yeah......Way to go Jennifer!!!
Old 04-19-2002, 02:40 AM

I'm for sure bringing the MASM. There's no doubt about that. Also, since I'm driving, I'm thinking about bringing my 414ce. If I'm going to do any kind of strumming, like a jam session type play-along thing, I'll need it. The MASM will never see a pick, that's not why I bought it.

I'll probably use the MASM for the open mic night and the 414ce for all the other fun stuff. While I'm VERY particular about people messin' with my stuff, if I bring both, I may even let some of you play it. Definitely those who are looking to buy a 414(ce) or a 714(ce) will most likely get some seat time with them. Then again, I'm sure there will be a lot of model "sharing" going on for those that are looking to buy a new Taylor and want to hear something that's already been played a lot and broken in.

I'd like to bring all three, but the 314MCE is pretty standard fare. Nothing TOO special about it other it's tone and the fact that it's two and a half years old and in absolute mint condition. I've only had it since last Sept. but I don't think the guy before me EVER played it! It'll probably stay home all alone.........I'm starting to feel sorry for it! Is that bad?

-Mike A.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Cocobologist

Lisa,

I'm also flying United. Checked with the agent when I made my reservations, and she said gate check won't be a problem. She suggested I mention it to the ticket agent at check-in, just to make sure everyone is in the loop. I'm also flying through Denver (pickin' up my friend there to complete the trip), so I'm a bit concerned about changing planes. Don't expect a problem, however, since I fly with them all the time...

BTW, one of the most common things you will see gate checked are strollers. As soon as they pull up to the jetway, gate checked materials are pulled up and left on the Jetway for you to retrieve.

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases