The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Thanks so much. I really appreciate your input. With my mother living a couple hours away, it's hard to figure out what's going on when she can't hear on the phone to carry on a conversation. My mother is probably 20 generations behind me technically, and I'm probably 10 generations behind state of the art. It never would have occurred to me to consider the phone when she told me she was getting a new hearing aid.

thanks again, you've made a big difference to my mother's quality of life
My pleasure.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:56 AM

This is an interesting conversation... Just recently had my hearing tested because of my inability to have conversations in loud environments. Everything becomes "noise".

Unfortunately, my hearing loss is a result of years of working in loud manufacturing environments. What's gone is gone & hearing aids can't bring back what is permanently lost.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
What's gone is gone & hearing aids can't bring back what is permanently lost.
They can and do most certainly help. Without my HAs I am virtually deaf. With them, I can function pretty normally.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
They can and do most certainly help. Without my HAs I am virtually deaf. With them, I can function pretty normally.
Plus 1 to that.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 11-27-2018, 12:43 PM

Thanks for all of the model recommendations. It really helps to know what to look for.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:38 PM

Oticon Opn 2 miniRite user here.

I got them about a year ago. Absolutely love them. I've needed aids for a while and just finally did it and am so glad. The real driver for me was struggling to hear clearly in work office meetings. That is vastly improved and I'm also realizing other benefits. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my guitar sounds great to me with the aids on. When I play out live now, I can play at a much lower volume and still hear very clearly. Love it.

One thing to point out is that since this is just compensating for lost frequencies, I can enjoy listening to music or tv, etc at lower volumes. I used to turn up to try to compensate for the lost frequencies. No longer need to do that. I'm sure my wife and the people watching me appreciate it too!!

Mine Bluetooth for phone calls and can stream music.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 11-27-2018, 06:14 PM

This is perfect timing, sirs!
I have a hearing exam this week, and know it will be time for HAs.
I've been thinking about how it will change my perception of my guitars' sounds; some days I don't want to play because my right ear is so dull.
Now I know some questions to ask and some brands to mention!
Much appreciated.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fray View Post
So what model of hearing aids are ya'll using? Thanks.
Costco, yes, Costco has about the best prices on hearing aids you will ever find. I recently bought a pair of Kirkland (their "house" brand) and am pretty well pleased with them. I suffer (not as much as my wife) from high frequency loss (inherited) and they've made a big improvement. I do not need them for music which is good because I do not like them at all for music. My problem is not so much volume as it is clarity/speach recognition...as in "did you say bold, cold, mold"? I don't need them to hear low volume music and at least as how they are programmed for my high frequency hearing loss, I can't stand to play guitar with them on. It makes for a "chorused" sound as I hear the guitar naturally and a split second later, the amplified aid sound of the guitar.
Anyway Costco sell a lot of hearing aids, many people like myself join just to buy them; hard to buy produce and many other items there for just 2 people there. I paid $60 for a membership and $1600 for a hearing test, the aids and all follow up tweaking the programing. I know my father paid about $2000 a piece for hearing aids and had terrible trouble with them. If you do some googling, as you should, you will see that Costco is the place to go.
Good luck
See what I did there?
Old 11-28-2018, 03:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Oticon Opn 2 miniRite user here.

I got them about a year ago. Absolutely love them. I've needed aids for a while and just finally did it and am so glad. The real driver for me was struggling to hear clearly in work office meetings. That is vastly improved and I'm also realizing other benefits. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my guitar sounds great to me with the aids on. When I play out live now, I can play at a much lower volume and still hear very clearly. Love it.

One thing to point out is that since this is just compensating for lost frequencies, I can enjoy listening to music or tv, etc at lower volumes. I used to turn up to try to compensate for the lost frequencies. No longer need to do that. I'm sure my wife and the people watching me appreciate it too!!

Mine Bluetooth for phone calls and can stream music.
Wow, they sound good! I am reaching that point and will add your model to my list.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:36 AM

Starkey Muse iQ HA's for me, and by bringing a guitar with me they were able to program a unique music channel that is great. One other thing that led me towards the Starkey product was that the family does a tremendous amount of charitable work with their HA's and their profits.

Last edited by twotrack; 11-28-2018 at 05:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion