The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald x20 “pingy” sounding b string 3rd fret D

I like most things about. My x20 but the weird pingy sound I get when playing a D on the b string. I tried different strings and still there. Currently aluminum bronze lights. Also elixirs. Anyone else experience this? Wondering if there is something weird about mine to the point of thinking of selling it
Old 10-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

How long have you had it and has it done the same thing through string changes? When I first got mine I almost immediately changed the strings and then I was getting a consistent buzzing on the second fret of the G string, whether fretted or capo'd on the second fret. I raised the action, still not fixed. Talked to a tech who said worst case it needs some fret work, but most likely it's a bad string. Try changing strings first. As soon as I removed that string, I realized I'd managed to crimp that string right by the second fret - couldn't see it under tension but it was there. Put a fresh set of strings on and it was gone. Totally fine. Lowered the action back to where it had been - still fine.

That may have nothing to do with what's going on with yours, but it pays to check the simple things first. There was nothing wrong with my X20 (could have been any guitar), but I thought there was until I put fresh strings on. If you've had your's a while and it's been there through various string changes, you might have a bigger problem.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I have tried multiple strings. Took it to gryphon and they said it seems like a natural sympathetic frequency so I am wondering if others experienced this with theirs
Old 10-28-2018, 01:01 PM

For fun, try adding some mass to the B-string bridge termination to see if you can tame it (lower the resonant frequency). Maybe one brass bridge pin will do it or maybe a complete set of brass pins. Maybe putting small washers on the B-string before installing it. If you can move the resonant frequency off that note, but not all the way to C#, you might be able to tame it. I would try tuning the B-string off pitch a half of a half step low first, to see if this idea has merit.

I'm not surprised different string sets did not help. Essentially all unwound strings are plated steel and are pretty much the same (except for the plating choice which is really minor from a string mass perspective).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-29-2018 at 03:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber