The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Default NPAD: New Preamp Day - Headway EDM-1

A short while back there was some discussion on small, belt-clip size/type preamps. I have the K&K Pure which works fairly well with my K&K Pure Mini equipped guitars. From a preamp standpoint it gets the job done with minimum fuss. Very simple - 9v battery operated, three-way EQ with bass, mids and treble and an output volume. I bought this to use primarily for when I'm traveling super light to open mics and I'm at the mercy of someone else's equipment and experience dialing in tone.

At most open mics I run into two problems - dark, muddy tone due to my K&K pickups and my fingerstyle playing with no nails, just fingertips (flesh). After years of amplifying myself I know that I have to boost the trebles a significant amount, dial back the bass a bit and dial the mids way back. No matter what the amp, preamp, PA - you name it, that is my baseline EQ for everything. However, at most open mics you don't have the time or access, or they just don't care enough to dial you in well. So I always sound muddy.

The other issue I frequently run into is feedback off my A string. Mostly on the Emerald but that's also the guitar I almost always take out. The A string is just HOT on the Emerald. Don't know why. While the K&K Pure Preamp does a great job dialing in a wonderful tone at open mics, it does not help as much with dialing out feedback. Sure, I can just dial the bass way back to tame it but that leaves too much low end dialed out and the overall tone suffers.

As of late I've been using the Bose S1 system for playing out with the Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer pedal for my guitar and my wife's vocals. The Boss allows me to dial in the perfect preamp signal but it also has the very fine notch knob which is invaluable dialing out any problem frequency that arises during performance. I'll even take the Boss VE-8 to open mics just to use as a preamp/notch since it's battery powered.

I've often pined for a small, well-build preamp similar to the K&K but with some added features like a notch. Someone in a recent thread threw out the name Headway EDM-1. I'd looked at the EDB-2 a while back but at nearly $400 it was too much for what I wanted or needed. It was also pretty good size. But the EDM-1 was about half the price and also more along the lines of what I was thinking about in terms of size and features.

The EDM-1 is a small, extremely well-built, high quality preamp. It has three band EQ and an output volume. It also has an anti-feedback Range knob. It's not quite the notch filter I had in mind but operates more like a variable high pass filter that helps dial out boominess, feedback and other problem frequencies. It boasts Refined Class "A" Inputs and Pro Audio IC Components which I guess means high quality electronics. I can attest that the metal case and layout, knobs and everything else on the preamp is of a much higher quality appearance and feel than the K&K Preamp but it's also over twice the price.

Other very useful features are a three-way impedance matching switch (more on that in a bit), a mute switch (very handy), ground lift switch, 9v battery operation (300 hours on a Lithium 9v) or AC adapter or will run off phantom power. It also comes (when bought new) with a belt clip and an 1/4" to XLR adapter turning it into a DI. It can also mount on a standard mic stand. So basically, it can do a lot.

There's more but I have not delved that deeply into it. And I probably won't either. I bought this primarily to see if it would do what the K&K does but better with the ability to give me great on-the-fly tone with minimal footprint and help with taming feedback. So far it is very promising. A/B'ing it against my K&K on my home system (Bose S1) I was able to get as good and better tone from the Headway over the K&K. The Bose is relatively feedback resistant anyway but it did seem to be even less feedback prone with the EDM-1. Until I can get out to an open mic and test it out I won't know for sure.

With regard to the input impedance switch, no matter which position I selected it sounded great. They all sounded exactly the same with my K&K guitars. So much for that making a rat's you-know-what difference. But hey, it's an option so maybe it would be helpful for other systems out there, right?

I got mine used from an online Guitar Center ad when I Googled it. They were offering it for $99 which I thought was a great price and much more around the price I wanted to pay (that's what the K&K Pure goes for new). Of course when I ordered it they gouged me $18 for shipping (really, Guitar Center?!?) and then when it arrived it didn't have the belt clip or the XLR adapter - this was mentioned nowhere in the ad. So live and learn about dealing with Guitar Center online used.

I really didn't care about the belt clip anyway as these days I just use a couple rare earth magnets to hold my K&K to the mic stand at an open mic or gig so I'll do the same with the EDM-1. Same with the XLR adapter - didn't really care about that either. And even with the $18 of shipping gouging it was still a good deal since the EDM-1 was in like-new condition and goes for around $220 new street price.

I'll pop back in at some point in a few weeks time after I finally get to an open mic to test out the feedback handling of the unit but I have a feeling it's going to do just fine. It certainly does a great job as a preamp and has a whole bunch of very useful features and an incredible build quality, some of the best I've seen, in a very small but still easy to see and use layout. A few photos will follow.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Photos, as promised

Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 AM

Default NPAD: New Preamp Day - Headway EDM-1

Thanks for the write up on the preamp. It sounds like it does the job you need - I particularly like the switchable impedance option: it’s a feature on the Radial Pz-DI and while it may not have made much of a difference on your setup I can report that it will be noticeable with other kinds of pickup.

I have a couple of questions though - surely strong neodymium magnets will affect the electronics of the preamp?

The feedback control seems to be a variable high pass filter rather than a notch filter. While I feel a high pass filter is an essential feature of any instrument preamp I wonder why they didn’t include an actual notch filter as well. Higher frequency feedback screams are usually a result of bad speaker placement or the room’s acoustics (or a combination of both); a notch filter helps to reduce the impact of that resonance on the guitar thus reducing the risk for feedback at that frequency plus helping to give the (amplified) guitar a more even tone. I assume you know all this but it’s a feature I use on my Pz-pre all the time and would miss it here.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 09-24-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Thanks for the write up on the preamp. It sounds like it does the job you need - I particularly like the switchable impedance option: it’s a feature on the Radial Pz-DI and while it may not have made much of a difference on your setup I can report that it will be noticeable with other kinds of pickup.

I have a couple of questions though - surely strong neodymium magnets will affect the electronics of the preamp?

The feedback control seems to be a variable high pass filter rather than a notch filter. While I feel a high pass filter is an essential feature of any instrument preamp I wonder why they didn’t include an actual notch filter as well. Higher frequency feedback screams are usually a result of bad speaker placement or the room’s acoustics (or a combination of both); a notch filter helps to reduce the impact of that resonance on the guitar thus reducing the risk for feedback at that frequency plus helping to give the (amplified) guitar a more even tone. I assume you know all this but it’s a feature I use on my Pz-pre all the time and would miss it here.
The question about the magnets affecting the electronics is a good one. I've been using them on pedals and what not for quite some time now and the only thing that was ever affected was one pedal's footswitch. Nothing else though so I'm going with it for the time being.

Good to know that the three-way impedance matching switch will at least help certain types of pickup systems because it did nothing for the K&K. Last, yes, I am aware as stated that the notch is quite different than a variable high pass filter. It is the one caveat to my review. If the VHPF does help me remove the boominess and thereby reduce or eliminate feedback then I will consider it a success. If not, it's still a better preamp than the K&K with all the other features and because I got if for the same price.

But in that case I would still be in search of something like the EDM-1 but with an actual notch. In reality the EDB-2 offers exactly this - a dedicated dual notch with both a frequency select and notch width knob. Had this been on the EDM-1 instead of the Range knob then it would indeed be the perfect preamp. If I find the EDM-1 does not give me what I need with regard to notching, I just might go find myself a used EDB-2 since it would surely fit the bill.

It's only a little bit larger than the EDM-1 but packs even more function by including a dual 1/4" input and a mic input as well. This would be a great little unit for us to take along where I could input both my wife's mic and my guitar into the S1 and give great tone shaping and notching for virtually any place we go whether we are using our Bose S1 or just plugging into someone else's system.

Time will tell and I'll be sure to report back here with my findings on the EDM-1's performance with regard to the feedback issues I occasionally encounter.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:49 AM

The EDM-1 is a fine preamp in simple settings but the EDB2 is a really silkier beast altogether.
Martin J40
Old 09-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
The EDM-1 is a fine preamp in simple settings but the EDB2 is a really silkier beast altogether.
I'm inclined to grant your premise without direct knowledge which you appear to possess. I'd love to hear some detailed information about your experiences with the EDB-2.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Wanted to post an update on the EDM-1 being used live. Still haven't had a chance to use it solo at an open mic yet but yesterday for grins I paired it with my Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer pedal and the guitar tone I got out of the Bose S1 through that combined pair was nothing short of astounding! A magnitude of order better - louder and much better tone with the added advantage of having some addition EQ at your fingertips which is something people don't like about the Boss VE-8, no EQ buttons.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:07 PM

Hey Methos- have you tried your K&K preamp with the BOSS VE8?
I, like you, go for simplicity. It is easy to get bogged down in gear and carrying more than you will ever need.
The Headway EDM 1 looks like a pretty good preamp but if all you need is to have some easy to tweak tone control, wouldn’t the K&K preamp give you that?
I have the VE8 and the pure preamp might be a nice way to get that fingertip mid cut or roll off some bass. I will give it a try as well.
One thing I really like, in terms of simplicity is the RedEye. I may run my guitar into the RedEye and then the VE8, or try the VE8 into the effects loop.
The RedEye just smooths out that pesky low end rumble and when you boost the treble, you can get pretty good across the board articulation. It is much cleaner and quieter than my K&K pure preamp.
Keep us posted!
Davidc
Old 10-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Hey Methos- have you tried your K&K preamp with the BOSS VE8?
I, like you, go for simplicity. It is easy to get bogged down in gear and carrying more than you will ever need.
The Headway EDM 1 looks like a pretty good preamp but if all you need is to have some easy to tweak tone control, wouldn’t the K&K preamp give you that?
I have the VE8 and the pure preamp might be a nice way to get that fingertip mid cut or roll off some bass. I will give it a try as well.
One thing I really like, in terms of simplicity is the RedEye. I may run my guitar into the RedEye and then the VE8, or try the VE8 into the effects loop.
The RedEye just smooths out that pesky low end rumble and when you boost the treble, you can get pretty good across the board articulation. It is much cleaner and quieter than my K&K pure preamp.
Keep us posted!
Davidc
Hi David - Actually, yes I did do exactly that. In fact the Boss VE-8 combo process came in at the end of a direct A/B shootout between the K&K and the EDM-1 that the EDM won. Both sound great with the K&K-equipped Emerald X20 but the EDM-1 sounds better with with the range knob which is a variable high pass filter and allows for more fine tune tweaking of the overall tone. It was subtle, but very noticeable.

That plus the other features on the EDM-1 makes it a better unit for me but then again it's also more than double the price of the K&K when both are purchased new. Since I got it used for the same price I paid for my new K&K I would take the EDM-1 all day long. But like the EDM, the K&K in front of the VE-8 just takes the great VE-8 tone to a whole new level while adding that on-the-fly EQ and volume control at your fingertips. Sure, it's another cord and one more thing to carry but at least both are small and lightweight.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:09 AM

Thanks Methos- I did the eq on the VE 8 first and then tried adding the K&K pure preamp. While it does give me more flexibility, the tone suffered greatly. So, I tried going into the RedEye first and then the VE 8 and that sounded superb.

I will keep experimenting, but like you, I don’t want too many preamps in the signal chain. It may work better if i try the GE7 eq in front of the VE 8 or at least have it on hand in case I need to tweak something.

Thank goodness there are all these great choices for acoustic guitarists. Not like when we first started - it was plug and play and hope for the best, which never really seemed to occur.

Davidc
Old 10-28-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Update - EDM-1 used live solo

I finally got a chance to use the EDM-1 live all by its lonesome last night at an open mic. It was a great test as there was a guest host that used his own system instead of the house system (SA220) which was a known quantity for me. His system also utilized a monitor which was great as we could actually hear ourselves for a change plus it would amplify (pun intended) any predisposition of my guitar to feedback without the VE-8 to notch it out.

The EDM-1 performed very well. I got a great tone unlike what I usually get from house systems because I could dial up the highs. I got no feedback although as the host dialed up the volume I started to get a little wolfieness on some of the low notes so I just dialed back the lows a bit and played on. Over all it was a successful test of the EDM-1 live.

There's a few more open mics we go to on occasion but not that often. But I'll always have it on me. At this point I'm going to consider the EDM-1 a great addition to my kit. I'll be parting with my K&K preamp since I don't need a second small preamp and I continue to sell off all the gear I no longer use, part of my downsizing efforts which I'm finding refreshing.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 AM

I agree with your feelings about downsizing.
For years i kept stuff .."just in case" . But lately
i've been purging. I have tried a plethora of
wiz/bang boxes over the years. Had rack boxes
dedicated exclusively to tweaking my acoustic.
It's fun...i find it rewarding to find what i think
might be my holy grail of tone. But it can cost
a bit over time. The kk requires some outboard
gear to sound good. So many times i've been to open
mikes and (to me) my set was ruined by my guitar sound.
It's hard to give it your all when your thinking
about how bad your guitar sounds during your song.
Something like the pure xlr preamp is perfect
to bring along to a OM. it's small, works and sounds
great, runs on 48v , Really is a great solution for
open mics or sitting in with other groups.. Works equally
well with my mandolin or electric bass. I am sure the edm
pre works equally as well. But for my regular band
i much prefer my pedalboard. It has a felix preamp
and seperate compression, reverb,tremelo, delay, tuner.
With this i can still try different pedals without breaking
the bank. I tried many all in one wiz boxes
like the Ve8 . Found them all pretty good but always
lacking in one or more features that left me wanting.
So this "component" setup ,if you will ,allows me to
tweak to what i want.
But i will probably never sell that kk pure xlr.
just too handy.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:36 PM

Hello can this run along with other pedals in signal chain?In front or the end of chain?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

I can see the simplicity in your approach and appreciate your desire to keep it simple, especially sticking to battery powered. Down the road, you might consider an AC powered option that will give you even better control over your sound, if your in a music store that carries Grace Design gear, take a look at the AliX (yes it is more $) BUT what you get is even better control, top quality, and clean clear sound. As noted in an earlier post, there is the big brother, Felix, and I use that because I play 2 instruments and I too love the ability tweak my sound ..... not for everyone to be sure, but it’s good to have options, and if you’re happy with you have, that’s what is important! Play on!!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 03-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael76 View Post
Hello can this run along with other pedals in signal chain?In front or the end of chain?
Yes, you can. In fact I have run it with the Boss VE-8. When I use it with that I always have it in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
I can see the simplicity in your approach and appreciate your desire to keep it simple, especially sticking to battery powered. Down the road, you might consider an AC powered option that will give you even better control over your sound, if your in a music store that carries Grace Design gear, take a look at the AliX (yes it is more $) BUT what you get is even better control, top quality, and clean clear sound. As noted in an earlier post, there is the big brother, Felix, and I use that because I play 2 instruments and I too love the ability tweak my sound ..... not for everyone to be sure, but it’s good to have options, and if you’re happy with you have, that’s what is important! Play on!!
I test drove both the Felix and AliX and neither one wowed me for the price. Like many premium pedals out there (the Strymon pedals come to mind) I find that price per feature to be overrated for the gigging musician. For studio recording where pristine tone is a must then sure. But for those of us gigging to crowds with a noisy background it's an unnecessary expense. Even the EDM-1 would have been too expensive for my needs if I was buying it new. But at half the price it was a worthwhile addition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification