The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-09-2018, 09:38 AM

Default Any carbon lutes out there?

The harp has signed up. The upright bass, the grand piano, are they on board? Imagine a carbon upright bass dominating the jazz mix. Scary?
Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
The harp has signed up. The upright bass, the grand piano, are they on board? Imagine a carbon upright bass dominating the jazz mix. Scary?
"They" make the all.. cello, violin, the bell of the trumpet and bone ...all good and cool and less scary than you think, I think.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-09-2018, 11:54 AM

What I fear the most is that there will never be a carbon hurdy-gurdy or dare I say a didgeridoo.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:13 PM

Photo from a music shop in Istanbul several years ago.

Carbon fiber bağlamas. Not a lute or oud excactly, but if seriously asked, they would likely build one.

Tradition being what it is in the middle east, these two didn't exactly sell too well.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Plus the strings are facing down.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-09-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
What I fear the most is that there will never be a carbon hurdy-gurdy or dare I say a didgeridoo.
Too late. Carbony makes carbon fiber Irish flutes, pennywhistles, and didgeridoos:

https://carbony.com/products/didgeridoos/
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Super Boom Didgeridoo
High Backpressure Didgeridoo

That's how to tag an item.

On Fire Lyre
Standup & Salute Lute
Old 09-09-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Photo from a music shop in Istanbul several years ago.

Carbon fiber bağlamas. Not a lute or oud excactly, but if seriously asked, they would likely build one.

Tradition being what it is in the middle east, these two didn't exactly sell too well.

Maybe it was sticker shock, comparing the price of those cheapy guitars to the bağlamas'.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Or maybe all six players that wanted a CF lute got one.... market saturated.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Or maybe all six players that wanted a CF lute got one.... market saturated.
Or the one player who bought all six.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:43 AM

The shop sells their own custom wood bağlamas and that's almost the only thing you see in every direction. The Martin's or Taylors of bağlamas.

That handful of dreadful & cheap guitars happened to be in the path of the photo at the time. There were no others in the shop, as I recall. I visited again some years after that and don't recall seeing any guitars at all at that time.

There are a couple dozen other music stores on the same street that sell higher end guitars--but no carbon fiber for sure.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Plus the strings are facing down.
As you might imagine, the bağlamas don't survive well when placed on their backs. Tend to roll over pretty fast!

Usually seen hanging up by the neck or leaning in an upright position.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:06 AM

What a bağlama sounds like . . . found a few instrumentals without vocals. YouTube. Sound quality not great.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

AC;

You've done some interesting travel. I've never heard of a baglamas (and never visited Istanbul). They look way cool and I have to wonder how you could resist buying one--or did you?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
AC;

You've done some interesting travel. I've never heard of a baglamas (and never visited Istanbul). They look way cool and I have to wonder how you could resist buying one--or did you?
Borrowed one once from a friend, then took some lessons from a pro for a few months. Learned to play by reading notes actually--something I can't do on a guitar. Notes are a bit different on paper also since they include microtonal notes. For various reasons, I needed to discontinue lessons and I never bought one for myself, even though, in terms of guitar prices, they are not that costly. Felt I needed to get back to guitar as I still have so much to learn and discovered I haven't enough time to spread to many other instruments.

These instruments are commonly referred to as saz, though technically, the word just means "instrument". In normal life, it's used to describe the bağlama and similar instruments. There are different lengths for essentially the same instrument, from very short to very, very long necks. Each has it's own special name and few know them other than the common bağlama. Hence "saz" is a catch all. BTW, the "ğ" character is silent, so that will affect how it's pronounced.

I do have a few other local instruments though, more than I use. Plan to sell them eventually.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber