The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM

Default NGD: Rainsong CH-OM (and advice wanted on capo issue)

After a lot of hesitation (and hoping for a different new version of the Emerald X10, but that’s another story), like RP, who posted another CH-OM NGD this week, I was pushed off the fence by a coupon that gave me 15% off.

After a major false start (see this thread for more info, if you're interested) that was resolved through the incredible commitment of Dave at Rainsong and the equally committed Cassie at Musicians Friend, I received my new Rainsong CH-OM two weeks ago.

I know that getting a CH-OM isn't as sexy a choice as a custom woody Emerald, but when I really thought about it, I realized that the major reason that I wanted the CH-OM was to have a relatively affordable guitar that was impervious to changes in temperature and humidity for gigging (I play in some places where the only way you can hear yourself is to go outside, and it can be crazy hot, cold or humid around here). So, I figured “what the heck, why not” and took it to an open mic the same night. It felt good, and I got some compliments on the tone, although I thought it sounded a little too chime-y with the Elixirs that come standard.

Early last week, it went off to my favorite tech for a setup, which included changing over to Martin Retro strings, on the advice of some forum members. It was the first CF that he’s worked on, and he was impressed. I now have 4-5 hours on the strings, and am ready to pronounce this one a keeper.

The one issue that I’ve noticed is that, when capoing up to the 3rd or 5th fret, the e and B (and, to a lesser extent, the G) strings sound pretty “brittle”, especially when plugged in. I decided to try to chase that down with my tech, and then with Dave at Rainsong, who suggested that my Shubb capo may be the culprit, due to a mismatch with the Rainsong's 20” radius. Dave suggested a G7th Performance 2 spec’d for a Rainsong neck, and I decided to look into customizing a Shubb to match the 20” radius. I’m not sure which way I’ll go yet, and any advice would be welcomed.

And a couple of photos (my apologies for the low quality – I took them to send to the insurance company).

Last edited by Long Road Home; 08-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 PM

I have a H-OM. Rainsongs have a flatter radius neck than their wooden brothers. I purchased a capo that fit my Rainsong neck and have no problems.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Never had a problem with a 6-string Rainsong and a Capo. I use a Kyser without any problem as well as a Shubb.

My WS3000 (12-string) is a bit of a different matter. Shubb custom bent one for me to 20"
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 PM

Hey Barry,

Congrats again on the NGD and so glad Dave worked to make you a satisfied customer.

I'm also a fan of Shubbs and they are all I own. Nothing against other brands but Shubbs work best for my needs. I found that all my standard Shubbs were creating the same problem up the neck so I bought a Shubb for classical guitars. It has a flat radius and is a bit wider across the strings than their standard. They come in a C2 and L2 model. The C2 is the original classical capo and the L2 is the lightweight aluminum version (the latter of which come in colors too). I bought a blue L2 and it works great (and looks cool too)!

http://shubb.com/capos/lite/index.html
Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I have a H-OM. Rainsongs have a flatter radius neck than their wooden brothers. I purchased a capo that fit my Rainsong neck and have no problems.
Inquiring minds want to know which capo you purchased.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Shubb custom bent one for me to 20"
I've been in contact with Shubb, and they are willing to do the same for me. Does yours work well?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hey Barry,

Congrats again on the NGD and so glad Dave worked to make you a satisfied customer.

I'm also a fan of Shubbs and they are all I own. Nothing against other brands but Shubbs work best for my needs. I found that all my standard Shubbs were creating the same problem up the neck so I bought a Shubb for classical guitars. It has a flat radius and is a bit wider across the strings than their standard. They come in a C2 and L2 model. The C2 is the original classical capo and the L2 is the lightweight aluminum version (the latter of which come in colors too). I bought a blue L2 and it works great (and looks cool too)!

http://shubb.com/capos/lite/index.html
Thanks Sean. Dave is a special kind of person, and we used to tell our customer service people, there's not a lot of traffic on the extra mile. I'll go to my local shop and try out the Shubb classical before going the custom route.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 08-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:31 AM

I also had trouble with Shubbs on Rainsong necks. Buzz on the D and G strings. And I also got a classical model, which works fine. I had no trouble with the Keyser ones, though.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:44 AM

I have a 12 fret "Concert" OM. It's structurally nearly identical to your guitar.

My favorite capo on it is definitely the G7th Heritage capo. Expensive, yes, but I've never had anything but flawless performance from it.

The Thalia has a 20" radius insert available. My Thalia worked quite well--and is easily the most beautiful capo I own--but it's also pretty big. I grip the neck at an unusual angle and my hand keeps pushing it over. But it sounds great and you probably won't have the same problem.

The best <$30 capo I've used was a Paige Clik for classical guitars. The flat radius on that capo seems to work pretty well with 20".
Old 08-23-2018, 03:44 PM

I've had no trouble with any of my Kyser capos on either of my Rainsongs, but this is one of those YMMV issues. Getting something that fits the radius seems like the best answer for a perfect fit.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I've had no trouble with any of my Kyser capos on either of my Rainsongs, but this is one of those YMMV issues. Getting something that fits the radius seems like the best answer for a perfect fit.

Maybe I don’t know how to properly use a Kyser but after suffering major fret wear years ago from using one I will never let one touch my guitars again. This would be especially true on a RainSong with softer nickel frets and the beefier neck profiles. I like the adjustability of the Shubb’s.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I've been in contact with Shubb, and they are willing to do the same for me. Does yours work well?
Not really. I can get it to work, but I have to force the top down first and then clamp it to really get the octave strings.

I have a classical Shubb I purchased and am going to try taking a file and making groves for the bass string in each course and see how that works.

On my 6-strings (Shorty and Parlor) a regular Shubb works fine, as does a Kyser. (I tend to prefer the Kyser 12-string capo as a general purpose capo). Not enough clamping force on my WS3000 though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-23-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Inquiring minds want to know which capo you purchased.

I contacted Shubb and bought the stock model they recommended. Sorry I can’t remember the model as i have CRS - can’t remember s..t
I put a CF label on it as it is also perfect for my Emerald.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-24-2018, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I have a 12 fret "Concert" OM. It's structurally nearly identical to your guitar.

My favorite capo on it is definitely the G7th Heritage capo. Expensive, yes, but I've never had anything but flawless performance from it.
I'm intrigued by the G7th Heritage. Can you please tell me how far up the neck it can go before it can't handle the width? I rarely venture past the 5th fret, but...
Old 08-25-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I'm intrigued by the G7th Heritage. Can you please tell me how far up the neck it can go before it can't handle the width? I rarely venture past the 5th fret, but...
I think I just successfully used it at the 10th fret. Anything beyond that, the heel gets in the way.

I was initially skeptical when they first came out, but I'll eat crow. The G7th Heritage is my favorite capo, even more than my Elliott.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber