The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Just changed my Emerald order too...

After seeing the folks around these parts with the nylon Emerald guitars on order or in their guitarsenal, and being inspired by eatswodo's order change, I made the decision today to change my order from a steel string to a nylon. I prefer the sound of nylon and really enjoy playing my Cordoba nylon as it is easier on the fingers as well. I just figured that since I was ordering the Emerald X7 anyway, why not get it exactly as I wanted. So it will still be a woody in a custom shade of blue, but now will be a nylon with a slotted headstock as well. It costs me a bit more money, but will now be my dream guitar.

Alas, I'm afraid poor Earl49 will probably not get my current Select Series koa X7 as I will probably be keeping that as my steel guitar option. I am planning on selling my Taylor K24ce (a lovely guitar but just too big for me) and using the X7 koa as my steel string. I'll probably sell my Yamaha silent nylon as well now, as I don't need that as a travel option with the one (soon to be two) X7s. I never intended to have only carbon fiber guitars, but I'm betting my Cordoba might not be long for my ownership as well once the new X7 arrives. Then I would only have two guitars, both carbon fiber, but a perfect fit for my body type and lifestyle.

It will hurt a little to give up the Taylor, but I don't think as much as it would have to give up the koa X7. By keeping that (and getting the new nylon one), it will be the best of both worlds for me. Luckily, Kevin told me today that I made the change before it was too late. I'm still only a month in, but perhaps the slotted headstocks take longer to get made.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 08-22-2018, 01:46 PM

Would you mind mentioning your custom x7 nylon spec (including nut width)?
I didn't see any page about x7 nylon in their web site.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqxiao View Post
Would you mind mentioning your custom x7 nylon spec (including nut width)?
I didn't see any page about x7 nylon in their web site.

Thanks
I actually didn’t specify a nut width with Kevin. I am pretty easy to please on that front, so I am letting them design it as they see fit. I know mountainmaster just ordered an X7 nylon as well, and according to this thread is getting a 48.5mm nut width.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...light=nylon+x7
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 08-22-2018, 02:41 PM

Good call, Wicked Wahine. I never really believed that you would actually let that lovely koa X7 go anyway. (She graciously let me know privately too, folks).

Your plan is sound - pun intended. We are also trending toward all CF for the guitarsenal, which means parting with some nice wood Taylor guitars too. With a steel X7 and a nylon X7, what more could you want? They fit you well, sound great, play wonderfully, and will travel easily too.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:45 PM
Guest 928

Wicked;

What a beautiful pair of guitars! Good on you.

Alistair put a Barbera pickup on my X10-OSN and I've liked it enough to ask for it on the electric 10 he is now making for me. I had used the K & K on various nylon string guitars and liked it: I think the Barbera is better. Something to think about.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:35 PM

Gotta like those Hanna and Barbera cartoons too... gee Yogi.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-23-2018, 05:56 AM

I got to play an Emerald Double neck about 15 months ago. Wowza.

I checked them and their prices were quite reasonable. Just checked again and they seem to have increased in value a bit.

Still, The 12 string on that one I played enchanted me. Maybe I should sell a few of my own.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 AM
Guest 928

Schootch;

I got to play Doubleneck's double neck at the Park City Carbon Fest. The guitar amazed everyone. I was astounded at how easy the instrument was to play and how sweet the 12 sounded. That was one of Alistair's early works and I suspect the doubles have gotten even more impressive with R & D.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Steel to Nylon

At the risk of sounding like a fool, can you just change out the steel strings and put on nylons on steel guitar if you are happy with the nut size?
Old 08-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
At the risk of sounding like a fool, can you just change out the steel strings and put on nylons on steel guitar if you are happy with the nut size?
I tried that - I used folk strings that had a ball end. Just trying an inexpensive way to see what the nylon discussion was all about. It was awful. The guitar (my X7) wasn't made for that: the strings continued to stretch the entire time I had them on, and the rich tone of that oh-so-comfortable guitar sounded like a toy. Because I have other guitars to play, I left those strings on for as long as I could take it, giving it a try each day. For a few days. I couldn't wait to get my sweet-sounding X7 back.

Lesson learned: I am a steel string guy. Didn't care for those floppy-feeling nylon things. Now, on a guitar made for nylon strings, it may be a whole different experience. Evan seems to be quite a fan. WickedWahihine, too. No doubt, they (and others like them) are more refined than this old rock 'n roller.

For full disclosure: I do have a ukulele that has nylon strings. I pull it out about once a year... it, also, makes me appreciate my steel strings.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Guest 928

Gitaman;

Yes you can, if you are also happy with a muted sound. The stronger face of a steel string instrument does not resonate well with lower tension strings.

There may be one exception. A credible forum member has put nylons on what I believe was a Blackbird steel string and says that the guitar competes well as a nylon string guitar.

One dream for CF is that the same guitar can be used for either steel or nylon strings. Brunner made such an instrument with interchangeable necks--but I don't know how that worked out.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I tried that - I used folk strings that had a ball end. Just trying an inexpensive way to see what the nylon discussion was all about. It was awful. The guitar (my X7) wasn't made for that: the strings continued to stretch the entire time I had them on, and the rich tone of that oh-so-comfortable guitar sounded like a toy. Because I have other guitars to play, I left those strings on for as long as I could take it, giving it a try each day. For a few days. I couldn't wait to get my sweet-sounding X7 back.

Lesson learned: I am a steel string guy. Didn't care for those floppy-feeling nylon things. Now, on a guitar made for nylon strings, it may be a whole different experience. Evan seems to be quite a fan. WickedWahihine, too. No doubt, they (and others like them) are more refined than this old rock 'n roller.

For full disclosure: I do have a ukulele that has nylon strings. I pull it out about once a year... it, also, makes me appreciate my steel strings.
Yeah, I get the steel vs nylon debate. The reason I prefer nylon probably comes from being predominantly an ukulele player. I have never been able to get used to the squeak from steel strings, though I would not want to not have a steel string at my disposal, as I think some songs sound better on one, some better on the other.

Plus, I don’t sing or play strumming chords much, I play fingerstyle. So the wider nut and softer strings just seem to work better for me. I am probably also biased as Keola Beamer and Ian O’Sullivan are my two favorite players, and both do nylon slack key guitar.

I know I am in the minority though, I have a friend that is a professional musician and he is so disappointed in me for preferring nylon, much to his chagrin as he is an “all steel, all the time” kind of guy.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
There may be one exception. A credible forum member has put nylons on what I believe was a Blackbird steel string and says that the guitar competes well as a nylon string guitar.
The Lucky13 might be delicate enough to pull this off. I hadn't thought about this until somebody's uncle mentioned it. Know which Blackbird was used for this experiment?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-23-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
Yeah, I get the steel vs nylon debate. The reason I prefer nylon probably comes from being predominantly an ukulele player. I have never been able to get used to the squeak from steel strings, though I would not want to not have a steel string at my disposal, as I think some songs sound better on one, some better on the other.

Plus, I don’t sing or play strumming chords much, I play fingerstyle. So the wider nut and softer strings just seem to work better for me. I am probably also biased as Keola Beamer and Ian O’Sullivan are my two favorite players, and both do nylon slack key guitar.

I know I am in the minority though, I have a friend that is a professional musician and he is so disappointed in me for preferring nylon, much to his chagrin as he is an “all steel, all the time” kind of guy.

I do not like the squeak from steel strings either and now use
Galli 80/20 Bronze Flat Wound Acoustic Guitar Strings.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-23-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
The Lucky13 might be delicate enough to pull this off. I hadn't thought about this until somebody's uncle mentioned it. Know which Blackbird was used for this experiment?
I have a Lucky 13 that really wants a string change right now, and a set of ball-end nylons on hand in the string box. Maybe I should try it?? I had been planning to practice tonight anyway.....

But if I were in the mood to mess with changing nylon strings, there is a 70's vintage Guild classical in the closet that really needs new ones first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber