The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Durability and travel-proof issues with Emerald veneered

Hello all.
Started out looking for plain red X7 and evolved to considering cocobolo veneer( thanks to all the beatiful pictures I sse on this forum.)

Now, I am curious how durable the veneers are, especially in regards to travel worthyness and temp/humidity affecting veneer( wood ) but not carbon fiber.

By now, there has to be woody owners that had em for a while and also abused them unintentionally traveling. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Can't say for sure as they've not been around all that long but in looking at my Cocobolo Emeralds it almost becomes part of the carbon. I doubt you would ever have any kind of issue with that.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM

Benderman,
Thanks and glad that you have not had any issues. I woner if they saturate the wood with resin.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Benderman,
Thanks and glad that you have not had any issues. I woner if they saturate the wood with resin.
I believe it's a process something like that as I've read that it more or less becomes a part of the carbon.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 08-16-2018, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

The veneers on Emerald guitars seem quite different than those found on furniture. Veneers come in different thicknesses and it looks like the Emerald veneers are so thin that they become saturated with resin and a part of the CF.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 PM

Can't help you on the durability issue. Since we got my wife's woody X7, I don't think it has actually been out of the house. It HAS been played by everyone who has visited, however, to universal praise. My understanding is what has been described above. The resin saturates the veneer, making it more like a bonded layer of the top, and unlikely to delaminate. A question emailed to Kevin at Emerald would be the best source of info.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Sounds like there would be no delamination issues, I am glad to hear. Thank you all! Wish all of you to outlast your Emerald, still!!
Old 08-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello all.
Started out looking for plain red X7 and evolved to considering cocobolo veneer( thanks to all the beatiful pictures I sse on this forum.)

Now, I am curious how durable the veneers are, especially in regards to travel worthyness and temp/humidity affecting veneer( wood ) but not carbon fiber.

By now, there has to be woody owners that had em for a while and also abused them unintentionally traveling. Thanks!
After the apocalypse, there will be carbon fiber guitars and cockroaches. You do not have to worry about the laminate that is infused with the epoxy and - feel free to quote me on this: "It ain't goin' nowhere."

That said, carbon fiber isn't the same as kevlar: your guitar won't be bullet-proof and will still need common sense care. Don't leave it in the sun for days on end (even a $250,000 Rolls Royce can experience sun damage); don't drive over it with your car (really, that happened to one of the participants here several years ago); don't use it as a bat to hit rocks. It's a nice guitar - take care of it using common sense. Don't worry about the wood laminate - just enjoy the beauty of it.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by The Committee for Responsible Ownership of Carbon Fiber Guitars (CROCFG). The Committee also considers covering an entire carbon fiber guitar with wood veneer, and/or the Crystal Ice finish on all surfaces of any guitar (especially the top), to be grounds for refusal of membership. This post is made in jest, void where prohibited by law, your mileage may vary. Use of an Emerald guitar may cause euphoria and abnormal smileage. Ask your favorite CF luthier if carbon fiber is right for you.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:31 PM

Wha, oh no,

Capt, you mean you can't use it to stop bullets??! I am sure if I spend $600 on a thin sheet of wood the siz of a toilet cover, my wife will try and shoot me!

Last edited by Gitaman; 08-16-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 PM

A couple photos of actual events...in the first the laminate and offset sound hole guitars were already collected and catalogued in the scout ship. So evidently they last relatively long and survive self inflicted Earth killing events.

In this instance of Emerald history ... an old school center hole survived tremendous underwater pressure... note the Jessie Dillion like turtle...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-16-2018, 11:23 PM

I don’t own a woody, but I wanted to add a little bit to the excellent advice already given. Just to be clear, the wood veneer is not added after the construction of the guitar, but is part of the original molding process. If you cut through the resin deep enough to damage the wood, you would likely damage the underlying carbon fiber as well.

Of course Kramster’s reply is more entertaining…

Old 08-17-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
A couple photos of actual events...in the first the laminate and offset sound hole guitars were already collected and catalogued in the scout ship. So evidently they last relatively long and survive self inflicted Earth killing events.

In this instance of Emerald history ... an old school center hole survived tremendous underwater pressure... note the Jessie Dillion like turtle...

Wha, oh no,

You mean it does not float?!!

You know my wife is gonna lift the $600 wood veneered toilet cover and flush me and coco X7 down the toilet!!

Well, according to Uncle Pauhana, at least I know veneer will be just fine...

Last edited by Gitaman; 08-17-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Wha, oh no,

Capt, you mean you can't use it to stop bullets??! I am sure if I spend $600 on a thin sheet of wood the siz of a toilet cover, my wife will try and shoot me!

Simple answer - don’t tell the wife
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-17-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Hahaha,

BT, you better be there, when she finds out eventually.😢 Show up with a floaty bulletproof vest, you will need it!
Old 08-17-2018, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Simpler answer - don't buy it if it is going to upset your spouse. In the words of the late philosopher Aretha Franklin: "R-E-S-P-E-C-T..."

Some may think it is funnier to try to sneak something by the person who is supposed to get your respect... I guess I don't get that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber