The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-14-2018, 06:25 AM

Default Brand new Mug and an X10

The mug arrived today and I haven't tried it yet. I have just had a few moments to play the x10. The story started innocently 10 days ago. I was just contacting Emerald for an offer that had been extended. I had seen a new blue X7 show up in the available now category. I put in my note that if that had been a green x10 that it would have been tempting. Alistair was filling in for vacation at the time. So the return email was in my inbox the next morning. "I have a green x10 just waiting for a pickup ". That was great as I didn't want a pickup. So that guitar shipped out to me.

Setup is really good. The usual superb fit and finish. When I looked at the x10 online at the photos , I thought it didn't looked right proportionately. Camera angles ? Anyway, in person , it looks "righter" to me than the x20. Hope that makes sense.

It has the graphtech saddles and no pickup. The intonation is good to my ears.

So on to what it sounds like. That's like describing what you see. You see a sailboat and I see the tail of a whale. But here goes. It doesn't sound like the 2017- X7 or the current X20. I find the x10 to be brighter than the X7 and X20. The x10 also seems to have a little less bass push. The strings on my x7 and x20 have reached their best before date. So that blurs the comparison.

This is another great Emerald and may well be my favorite....at least for the next few weeks. The guitar feels very familiar. Perhaps more familiar than the x20. I have gone back and forth between the x10 and x20 a few times now. It is no issue to me.

This x10 really feels like i played it before and I was intrigued by that but took me a while to figure it out. The neck join and rib bevel are well done. Likely the "new x20" will show with the same upgrades. This is a different guitar from my x7 and x20 and I very much like it.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Nice to hear an early report on the X10. Thanks!

On edit: I went to Emerald's site after reading your post - no other X10 available as stock, but there is a gorgeous red X7.

I get what you say about the look of the X10 in the online photos: to me, the X20 has an ideal shape and style... the X10 seems to have a wider waist and more cutaway. At first, I was thinking the X10 should be a smaller version of the X20... but it is clear to see that Alistair makes each model its best self. And now, with the redesign of the X7 and the introduction of the X30, a family "resemblance," but not just up/down sizing. I like it!

Last edited by Captain Jim; 08-14-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:59 AM

Congratulations! Any pics?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Get wise. Order one of Brian McGee's mugs, and an Emerald guitar is shipped with it. Save a couple of thousand US, or more. Think outside the box, people.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 AM

Lmao! I knew there's a way to get a better deal.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:49 AM

I don't know how to get a photo up and I don't use online photo sharing. But in person the x10 in horizontal is position is pleasing. I like the x20 neck join but the x10 is for the electric appeal. If you rotate the image from the website photo to horizontal then you see it. Rib bevel is really nice.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:30 AM

I don't know how to get a photo up and I don't use online photo sharing. But in person the x10 in horizontal is position is pleasing. I like the x20 neck join but the x10 is for the electric appeal. If you rotate the image from the website photo to horizontal then you see it. Rib bevel is really nice.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

That beautiful red X7 that I mentioned was "in stock" on Emerald's site this morning is now listed as "Sold"... anyone here the proud new owner?

Ya snooze, ya lose.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:41 PM

How does it sound plugged in? I had thought the X10 was an electric guitar disguised as an acoustic, but I'm starting to think I was wrong.

I wish there were a video or sound clip somewhere..... hint hint
Old 08-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Guest 928

The 10 is an ideal size for me. One of the things I've liked about the 10 is that it is an acoustic that plays like an electric--fast and easy. It is a true Acoustic/electric.

Alistair is now making me an electric/acoustic 10 which will make for some interesting comparisons.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The 10 is an ideal size for me. One of the things I've liked about the 10 is that it is an acoustic that plays like an electric--fast and easy. It is a true Acoustic/electric.

Alistair is now making me an electric/acoustic 10 which will make for some interesting comparisons.
Evan, I know your x10N is a one-of-a-kind, but is it the same shape and size as the newly introduced X10? Same neck join? Also, is the e/a X10 being made for you going to be another "thin body" design? 25.5" scale or something smaller?

On edit: I pulled this image from the thread on your X10N...

And then this image from Emerald's site on the new X10 design...

It appears that the newest design has a deeper cutaway.

Your X10N is absolutely captivating - that carved headstock is a thing of artistic beauty.

So, while I may have answered my own question about the body design, still wondering about the other questions.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 08-18-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

I can't answer your questions regarding shape, size, or neck join. However, I assume that Alistair will be incorporating his new design features in the e/a.

It will be a thin-body with the 25.5 scale (I wanted a short scale like I have with the a/e but Alistair said no). Electrics are supposed to have high fret reach and I'm think the electric will get me much higher than I go with a/e.

Thanks by the way, for the pictures. I get so used to playing the guitar that I rarely stop and think "how beautiful."
Old 08-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

I can't answer your questions regarding shape, size, or neck join. However, I assume that Alistair will be incorporating his new design features in the e/a.

It will be a thin-body with the 25.5 scale (I wanted a short scale like I have with the a/e but Alistair said no). Electrics are supposed to have high fret reach and I'm think the electric will get me much higher than I go with a/e.

Thanks by the way, for the pictures. I get so used to playing the guitar that I rarely stop and think "how beautiful."
Yes, that guitar is striking: the color, the carbon fiber weave, the design, and that downright sexy headstock. Again, looking through the photos of yours and the new design X10, I could see the answers to the neck join (yours has a heel, the new design doesn't).

With the cutaway on the new X10 design, there appears to be great access to the upper frets. Just a guess on my part, but I would imagine Alistair wants to keep that standard (longer) 25.5" scale due to the nylon strings.

I don't know if it is just the way it photographs, but your X10N seems to have a gorgeous (subtle) black shading at the edges. I can kinda see that in the photos of the new X10, but not as much as yours.

It will be interesting to see what the finished product on your new one will be!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:08 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

I too will be interested in seeing what Alistair comes up with. My short-scale 10 has been a marvelous instrument, and my X7 woody electric is even more surprising--it has no right to put out the acoustic sound it produces.

I am patiently awaiting Alistair's new wonderment. I'll let you know when my ship comes in.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:25 AM

Congratulations on the X10. It's great to hear about the sound and feel of the new emeralds. And comparisons between sizes.

quote: "Evan, I know your x10N is a one-of-a-kind, but is it the same shape and size as the newly introduced X10?"

quote: "It appears that the newest design has a deeper cutaway."

The photos show the cut-out is four frets deep for the old X10 and seven frets deep for the new X10. The body spec is about 3/4" thicker, and a bit wider and longer.

Old X10:
17.5" x 14 1/2" x 4", 25.6" scale, 39" long

New X10:
18" x 14 3/4" x 4 3/4", 25.5" scale, 37 3/4" long

New X7:
18" x 14 1/4" x 4 1/2", 24" scale, 34 1/4" long.

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-19-2018 at 02:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber