The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-25-2018, 10:58 AM

Default Saw Jackson Browne last night

it was 90 degrees at the ampitheatre when Jackson took the stage with his eight piece band. Then he began what was an anthology of his music with an emphasis on his old stuff, all the way back to the beginning. His band was as tight as ever with two of his long time members and each one took several solos at times just to wow us. Jackson played no less than ten guitars through the night including his fav Gibson acoustic and a Martin 000-15 mahogany. His voice was as good as he has ever sounded and his two backup vocalists were dead on with their harmonies. For me the best part was just sitting out there with 5000 other people, mostly over 50 years old, and relive my entire adult life to the music he has woven into it. He covered his old hits including Take it Easy and Red Neck Friend and all the others that are mileposts in my musical career.
He played for a total of 3 hours with a 30 minute break. Just over the top is how I felt during the entire show. He told many short stories of his life and how songs came to be and he sure still knows how to rock a crowd who seemingly loved him and his music like I have.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Thanks for posting this, hotroad! I was obsessed with Jackson Browne during my high school and college years — huge fan of his lyrics.

That sounds like a great show — who else plays a 3+ hour show these days.

I would have loved to hear some of the stories he told about his songs. Do you remember any?
Old 07-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Great post, thanks! I've seen him with band (including David Lindley!) at Red Rocks, and solo (still with 10 or so guitars) at another much smaller outdoor venue.

I think the solo show was just as cool. You're right, he's not to be missed.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 07-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for post, it sounded like a great time....your desciption definately took me down memory lane!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

His band is great. Mark Goldenberg plays a terrific guitar; his solo on "Sky Blue and Black" is the best. Great drummer, too, although his name escapes me right now.

I've seen him 7-8 times, but haven't seen him with his band for quite a while. I don't know which is better, with his band or solo. Either way, he puts on a dynamite show.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

He's always great show. I saw him in 2012 when his band included the amazing Val McCallum on lead and the insanely talented Shawn and Sara Watkins. Super fun show. He had like 30 guitars on stage that tour....

Got to hang out with him and the band after the show and talked guitars for a bit with him and Val. Pretty cool experience.

I'd give anything for any of his many Roy Smeck Gibbys, the SmeckAlister he uses for "these days" is incredible, too. Despite his clear affinity for Gibson (and Gibsonesque). I'm probably most jealous of the Martin 00-17 because it just has the woodiest tone and I love all hog.

I gotta catch him again soon.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:12 PM

I posted earlier, but just remembered I also saw him at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in about 2001 or 2. During the 2nd song Bonnie Raitt, who was not on the bill, walked out, plugged in, and played the rest of the set with him.

I later stood next to the two of them on the street in town and listened to some teenagers busking. One of the buskers was John McEuen's son.

These posts sure bring back some great memories. At my age I need to enjoy 'em while I can still remember 'em!

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 07-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Seeing him in Los Angeles in a couple weeks!

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 01-30-2019, 12:24 AM

I have been a JB fan since 1977 when a friend introduced me to his music while stationed in Germany with the US Army. I was blown away by the lyrics and music. Fast forward to 2008 and wife from high school had a massive heart attack and was on deaths doorstep. For some reason JB’s song For a Dancer was something that got me through those scary times.
He’s probably the most gifted songwriter of our time. And so humble. My life without music would be boring and senseless. It would be nice for him to write a song in a normal tuning but he has his reasons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN