The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 PM

Default First gig with Yamaha CSF1M

So my first thoughts are:
1)
I know why I never use Elixir strings: after the setup and mods, I went ahead and installed another set of Elixirs since I had some on hand. For my playing style, the grip is too slippery and when making barre chords, I feel like I'm slipping off the strings (my fingers) and so I over compensate by gripping harding, and consequently my hand cramps. Grrr.
2)
The SCF1's pickup is pretty good. It's great not having to worry about a battery going dead, or losing or breaking a battery cover. The voicing of the SRT in this guitar is better balanced than the SRT in my LL16M ARE was. Yamaha cut out the bass with the LL16M, but this SCF1 has really good bass response.
3)
Super comfortable guitar to play for hours. The neck is familiar to me. May be narrow for those who prefer the 1 3/4" nut width. Very light guitar.
4)
Carrying to and fro is nice. Again, super light weight, and the gig bag holds its own.
5)
I will play this out more than I played my AC3R out, which seems odd since the AC3R had a phenomenal pickup. There was just something about the AC3R that I never bonded with or liked about the sound.
6)
Takes pedals well. I used my acoustic pedal board (comp, tuner, chorus, verb, delay) direct into a MG8cx mixer to a DXR10 powered speaker.
7)
Using a capo (Amazon special Kliq capo) is going to take some practice. I played around with going on from either side. I had a couple issues. Maybe it was just the size and shape. Perhaps I'll try a Keyser next time to see if it's just me.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 06-12-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 PM

A good capo for a narrow nut is the G7 Newport. Much lighter than most capos.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

This thing is going to challenge the Taylor mini.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 AM

I was listening to a CSF3 Vs. CSF1 video and I honestly didn't think there was enough tone difference to justify $150 more,..and the extra care for an all solid guitar But then it was a video played through my computer speakers...

Any thoughts on this?

I have a Yamaha A3M that I love but I'm in the market for something different but still have the overtones-depth of tone...etc., of the A3M
I was thinking of a Martin but in my price range, I couldn't find anything that came close to the overtones of the A3M...It was more about the name on the headstock.
The only guitar I picked up at GC that got close was a Breedlove Pursuit Concert with a Cedar top and Lam Redwood sides, it did have a bigger bass response than my Yamaha
So I'm still looking...
Custom Fender Affinty Strat P90's
EAE M2-6 Acoustic Amp
Old 06-28-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I was listening to a CSF3 Vs. CSF1 video and I honestly didn't think there was enough tone difference to justify $150 more,..and the extra care for an all solid guitar But then it was a video played through my computer speakers...

Any thoughts on this?
I played both the CSF1M and CSF3M last month in Japan, and all I can say is that there definitely is a difference. In terms of volume, probably not. But the 3M, possibly owing to its solid back, had a bit more of overtones and "presence" to the sound. It's something you could most likely discern only in person, not with less-than-deal computer speakers.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
This thing is going to challenge the Taylor mini.
Played a sunburst CSF with lam back and sides yesterday and GC. For the size and feel, I thought it sounded pretty good.

Then I picked up a standard Gs mini and it blew it out of the water. Both volume and feel.

The Yamaha is a good guitar but it is not on the level of the GS mini or Dread jr IMO
Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Keyser is a bad design for use with very short scales because it pulls the strings so hard that it's almost always pulling it out of tune, typically sharp, and the margin for error is so high with the shorter scales. Something where you can set the pressure - think Shubb or G7th Performance, tend to do much better, though I've found that if you like the spring loaded type, the Dunlop one is like $10 and works magnificently. That's really a hard-to-beat capo all around. James Taylor plays $50,000 guitars and uses that $10 capo....says something, I'd say :-)
Old 07-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystory92 View Post
Played a sunburst CSF with lam back and sides yesterday and GC. For the size and feel, I thought it sounded pretty good.

Then I picked up a standard Gs mini and it blew it out of the water. Both volume and feel.

The Yamaha is a good guitar but it is not on the level of the GS mini or Dread jr IMO
I agree the Taylor is the better mini guitar, but if your budget is $400, the Yamaha isn't a bad option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion