The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Talking 1998 GIBSON F5L BY CHARLIE DERRINGTON FOR SALE/TRADE

Greetings All, been trying to sell my Charlie Derrington F5L but with a "slow" instrument market, thought I'd try another approach. I'm opening this beauty up to a trade/ cash proposition. Interested in a smaller body guitar, preferably a Martin, Gibson, Collings or Froggy Bottom. Email me with what you have and who knows! The trade value on the 98 Derrington F5L is $5900 and hoping for an "in the neighborhood" 50% trade & 50% cash deal.
I can be contacted at [email protected]
I do have many pics I can forward just email with questions, offers or for pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171220_172350.jpg (32.7 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2063 - Copy.jpg (33.4 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2058.jpg (38.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 04-18-2018, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Default A brief History for the 98 Derrington F5L

Here’s the description from the previous buyer.....
The sound is typical Derrington Gibson, loud with lots of lead cut and a wicked rhythm chop. It is currently strung with steel-wrapped GHS strings (Doyle Lawsons) that are quite old, but it still sounds great.

Condition is better than excellent. There is no structural damage of any kind. There is no finish checking or wood cracks. The neck is great, and there is no discernible fret wear. It is very close to new condition, really clean and amazing shape for an almost-twenty-year-old instrument. The previous owner had removed the original pickguard and made a slightly smaller Rosewood pickguard to replace it, but I do not use a pickguard; so I have removed the very nice Rosewood pickguard, and it will go with the mandolin - picture shows where the original owner filled the factory pickguard mounting holes, and drilled new holes for the new pickguard (my apologies for the dust in some of the pictures!). The mandolin also comes with a nice TKL arched-lid hardshell case, with velvet instrument blanket.
Shortly before he moved back to England, I had my good friend (and Charlie's protégé and successor at Gibson) Sim Daley do a complete setup on it. The (original) bridge is perfectly fitted and intonated. I also had Sim scoop the fretboard past the 20th fret, and speed-neck it with a coat of sealer. It plays very easy and fast. It really is a wonderful instrument.
I bought this mandolin about 8 years ago from a friend of mine who was the original owner, an elderly gentleman in East Tennessee who has since passed on. He didn't play it much, as can be seen from the condition. I had looked for a Derrington F5 for some time, as Charlie was a close friend of mine, and my mandolin mentor when I was a teenager (and he wasn't much older!). I have cherished and meticulously cared for this mandolin, but a couple years ago I acquired Charlie's personal mandolin, otherwise I would never part with this one.
Email with any questions and for pictures ... domestic shipping only.
Does have a new set of daddario strings all ready to go!
Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Pre-weekend bump

Pre-weekend bump on a beautiful Mandolin! Will sell outright also, $5600 and buyer pays shipping and any fees
Old 04-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Default MIDWEEK BUMP!

MIDWEEK BUMP FOR INTERESTING POSSIBILITIES!!!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Default SOLD

SOLD.... NO LONGER AVAILABLE.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Other