The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 AM

Default Anybody play or own an Eastman OO?

Thinking of getting one for fingerpicking and love the specs minus the red spruce top, which to me is not the best fingerstyle top. Just curious as to how these might play and sound with bare fingers.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 AM

I'm a passionate Eastman fan, as evident in my signature below. In the past 3 months, I had been searching/researching for a small guitar, at a moderate price. Of course, I'd like to have a Martin 00-28 or 00-41. I was in Nashville a month ago and found an Eastman dealer and they had the Eastman Parlor single 0, Model E20P and the new E20 00 and E10 00. I was disappointed in the lack of projection and disappointed in the tone, I don't think my expectations were too high, IMO, they just sounded like inexpensive guitars such that I could not buy. Some Eastman fans have given those small guitars good reviews. The wide necks didn't bother me. I ended up buying an Easmtan OM, Model AC512, the engleman spruce top may be the major contributor bringing me to say that I think this will be my favorite guitar in my collection, and of course it is also a bigger guitar than the 00 guitars you are asking about. I presently have 3 Eastmans with engleman spruce tops. I do love engleman, it adds volume projection similar as adi tops do, but it has some of the sweetness of a sitka top. The OM models are the smallest guitars Eastman has with engleman spruce tops. My AC512OM is an extremely impressive guitar! I say go get one.

Last edited by calstang66; 04-11-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I have the Eastman E20OOss a bit different from what you are asking about I think, but I absolutely love it. It definitely is a smaller body guitar and doesn't sound like a dreadnaught, but it has a beautiful tone and very nice mids and highs with the bass being about what you would expect for an 00 (or OO as Eastman calls it) body size.

I would not recommend it as your only guitar if you are partial to big dreadnaught sound, but it's not a one trick pony either. I love playing mine in drop D and this video is pretty much exactly what it sounds like:

Old 04-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calstang66 View Post
I'm a passionate Eastman fan, as evident in my signature below. In the past 3 months, I had been searching/researching for a small guitar, at a moderate price. Of course, I'd like to have a Martin 00-28 or 00-41. I was in Nashville a month ago and found an Eastman dealer and they had the Eastman Parlor single 0, Model E20P and the new E20 00 and E10 00. I was disappointed in the lack of projection and disappointed in the tone, I don't think my expectations were too high, IMO, they just sounded like inexpensive guitars such that I could not buy. Some Eastman fans have given those small guitars good reviews. The wide necks didn't bother me. I ended up buying an Easmtan OM, Model AC512, the engleman spruce top may be the major contributor bringing me to say that I think this will be my favorite guitar in my collection, and of course it is also a bigger guitar than the 00 guitars you are asking about. I presently have 3 Eastmans with engleman spruce tops. I do love engleman, it adds volume projection similar as adi tops do, but it has some of the sweetness of a sitka top. The OM models are the smallest guitars Eastman has with engleman spruce tops. My AC512OM is an extremely impressive guitar! I say go get one.
I think i understand where you are coming from. This past weekend i drove down to Santa Cruz to visit my daughter and her husband. Of course i had to visit Sylvan Music to play some 00's. I played the E10 00, E20 00, E10 00SS which i found were all interesting but wouldn't move me to buy one. Then a salesman brought me the new E1 00SS which is a fantastic guitar for only $720. It played so easy and the tone to kill for! I found it incredibility difficult to drive back home empty handed. Usually i buy something when it talks to me and it's tone still haunts me. It's a limited production model so by the time time i get around to buying one, they'll all be sold out.

Check out the specs of the E1 00SS at Eastman's website. It's the first Adi topped sapele back & sides guitar i ever played and it doesn't disappoint at least to my ears.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I purchased a new E10 00SS 2 years ago. It played horribly out of the box, and then not quite as horrible after a professional set up.

It sounds boxy to my ear and I have 3 other 00 guitars that sound like the angels singing.

YMMV

Steve
Old 04-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I purchased a new E10 00SS 2 years ago. It played horribly out of the box, and then not quite as horrible after a professional set up.

It sounds boxy to my ear and I have 3 other 00 guitars that sound like the angels singing.

YMMV

Steve

I am looking for a 00 myself and would live to know what your 3 other 00s are.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I am surprised to hear people saying they didn't like the OO. No one has mentioned the 20 series rosewood like I have, but I bought mine when I was looking for an Eastman OM and they asked me if I wanted to try this E20OOss and it was one of those love at first strum moments. I was less enamored with the other one they had in stock, but that was more about the setup out of the box than the tone. The one I bought was setup perfectly for me and the other needed some tweaking.

I would suggest when buying an Eastman or a Martin (and probably any other acoustic) to try before you buy. I have seen and unfortunately bought one (Martin 000-18) that needed a neck reset when it arrived from the retailer when I bought it online. I have suspected the same on a couple of Eastman guitars I have looked at although I didn't measure or take a straight edge to them.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Opinions vary. I think I've always given a lot of value to reviews. One strong negative review can shift me completely away from a purchase, or toward a purchase. I love guitars and tend to like most guitars I pick up. The tiny Eastman parlor E20P, actually to me, sounded a lot better than the slightly larger 00 body Eastmans (boxy). I sure could not guess why. All the E10 OO and E20 00 bodies also have adi tops.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Guest 1511

I think Eastman makes very good 00 guitars. For the price they are well worth what you pay. They aren't Martins, Collings or SCGCs, true, but they aren't low-end plywood either. The finish on them is rarely perfect, but they use very good woods and are well constructed and well setup out of the factory. I had a E10 00 that was quite good that I gifted to my son-in-law.

They do have poor resale value though. If you buy one try to hold onto it or you'll take quite a bath on the used market.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion