The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Very sweet guitar - congrats! Iím a huge fan of Santa Cruz guitars and their work with Cocobolo is particularly fantastic.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Thanks Bob. Still hitting it hard and heavy on Mark Hanson material (currently working on Dedicated to Mississippi John Hurt and Flier). Hope it's going well for you.
Bob, I commend you on the Hanson tunes, his stuff is not easy! Must be neat to have him teaching it to you. I got as far a passable rendition of Over and Out Rag, and hit the wall on Key to the Kingdom which I still can't play at a reasonable tempo.

About that time late last summer I realized I needed some help, and have been taking weekly lessons ever since. I'm busy with mostly exercises, scales, slurs, arpeggios, etc. and folk tunes with easy melodies. When I get time to work on other tunes I been playing some John Hurt stuff (my new favorite player) and I recently bought the Richard Saslow ragtime book which has been discussed here on AGF. I'm still on the first tune but it seems like one of those books that will get used rather than sit on the shelf. Highly recommended.

After 13 months of fingerpicking I enjoy it more than ever, despite slow progress, so I'm glad I finally took the plunge.

Looking forward to hearing some recordings of that new guitar!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Wow! It is beautiful! So beautiful I think I can almost hear it.
Elixir PB Lights
SWR Strawberry Blond
Old 02-09-2018, 06:22 PM
Moderators

Congratulations to you! The Skye model is phenomenal. Enjoy, enjoy!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Congrats. I like how those sound.

My signature stuff......

Barry
(Finger style guitar)

Sakura Wish (Gin cover):

Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/barry329

Gibson J-45, Guild D-55, Guild D-120ce, Larrivee OM-05, Martin D-16GT

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk, Washburn D-10s
Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Thanks Eric for the compliments. The strings it came with were DR Dragonskin 11-50's. I had the same thought that you need at least 12's on it so I'm encouraged by first impressions with these lighter coated DR strings (never tried them but have had good results with DR Rares). I have some SCGC strings on the way and I'm going to try some EJ16's.....
Most of the time I have EJ17ís on there. They sound huge.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Guest 1511

That's one of the guitars I've been looking at a lot recently because it's a 00 and that's where I think I'm most comfortable too. How would you compare that Cocobolo to other tone wood backs?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
That's one of the guitars I've been looking at a lot recently because it's a 00 and that's where I think I'm most comfortable too. How would you compare that Cocobolo to other tone wood backs?
The Skye's high end seems to have a louder and more piano, bell like, crystalline quality to it compared to my spruce/hog Robinson and Adi/Hog Collings OM. I can't tell much difference on the low end yet. I believe also that the bloomier overtone and longer sustain I hear equates to my perception of a broader dynamic response which for me has a plus and minus side. The plus side is having it and the minus side is I have to learn to use it properly. There's going to be a right hand learning curve for me to know when and how to use what I believe the Adi/Cocobolo brings out in this guitar. That journey will certainly make me a better player.
Jake Robinson 12 Fret Slope Shoulder Dread
Rainsong P-12
Cordoba GK Pro Negra

Last edited by SprintBob; 02-10-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
The Skye's high end seems to have a louder and more piano, bell like, crystalline quality to it compared to my spruce/hog Robinson and Adi/Hog Collings OM. I can't tell much difference on the low end yet. I believe also that the bloomier overtone and longer sustain I hear equates to my perception of a broader dynamic response ...
I finally played one today and your impressions sound like what I heard. I ended up buying it. It was the best guitar I played today, possibly ever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion