The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-27-2018, 09:43 PM

Default thinking of CF guitar

hi; i have never owned a CF guitar, but the trouble i'm having with my acoustics these past few years , i'm thinking of making the switch. i'm getting disgusted with finiky expensive acoustic guitars.these CF guitars like Rainsong all seem very high priced. i'm not familiar with any of them . can someone recommend a lower end model in the less than $1000 range? thanks.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I don’t recall seeing any CF model, new or used, for less than $1000, with the exception of the used Emerald Amicus I recently purchased. And, it’s not a conventional guitar.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 PM

https://reverb.com/marketplace/acous...ce%7Casc&page=

This should help get you started...
Old 01-27-2018, 10:58 PM

I would highly recommend the composite acoustics ox raw. I got mine without electronics for under $1,000. Very nice guitar.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:30 AM

Hi Eyesore ! Welcome to this pleasant little corner of the forum.

Most everybody here would recommend that you do get a c.f guitar, it would put an end to your maintenance woes.

BUT, there is an understandable misconception that they are cheap , mass produced , “plastic” things.

Happily this is not true, a carbon fibre guitar from ANY of the manufacturers you will read about here is a beautiful instrument, with great fit, finish, playability and sound to rival many traditional guitars.

Virtual indestructability is a free bonus.

Keep an eye on the used ads, but they don’t come up often and they sell quick.
Maybe try the C.A model mentioned above, or a Journey guitar at a little over a grand ? You could become a convert.
Good luck
Old 01-28-2018, 08:17 AM

Going from finicky expensive acoustics to these non-finicky very high price CF acoustic guitars. Hmmmmm... not sure of what the price difference is... but just the ease of matenance and care and being able to leave it out and play it more often in any temperature and humidity .... I just might vote CF or eKoa... just contributin'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-28-2018, 08:57 AM

@eyesore: Ditto on Reverb.com, you might find it there. Local dealers might cut price breaks too if you ask. I got my new OF660 that way for under $900. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi; i have never owned a CF guitar, but the trouble i'm having with my acoustics these past few years , i'm thinking of making the switch. i'm getting disgusted with finiky expensive acoustic guitars.these CF guitars like Rainsong all seem very high priced. i'm not familiar with any of them . can someone recommend a lower end model in the less than $1000 range? thanks.
About the best deal I have seen lately was in the classifieds right on this site, a CA Cargo for $1000. I just looked and didn't see it today (though I could have overlooked in my haste). Cargo is a really nice little guitar, emphasis on little. When first presented with one at Elderly Instruments my first thought was, this little guitar will never cut it. It went home with me, a big surprise but still, not everyone's cup of tea.

I have seen some Rainsong instruments in the fairly low $1200's, $1300's and they seem to be especially nice guitars especially affordable, within the CF universe. So if you can stretch just a bit, and watch for a used or 'open box' special be ready to jump.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

How one perceives the cost of a guitar is relative, but if you have had experience with "finicky expensive acoustic guitars," you will be delighted with the sound, playability, and ease of care of a pretty wide range of carbon fiber guitars that can be had new for $1k to $2k. Some of the lesser expensive models from Emerald, Journey, and RainSong can be had for closer to the $1k mark. Used will be less, but they don't come up frequently and generally sell pretty quick.

My experience has been that the carbon fiber guitars are worth the price, perhaps even a better value than wood guitars in the same price range.

Good luck with the search.

Welcome aboard and hang out here at the CF sub-forum - plenty of good folks with experience with all the CF options out there.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Default thinking of CF guitar

I would recommend trying journeys two models. The OF660 and the RT660. There’s not much said here about the RT660 but I think it’s an incredible value. I would put it right up there with CA, Blackbird and Rainsongs Best.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:33 PM

I saw a used Composite Acoustic OX on sale for $1050 at a local music store the other day. As far as ones under $1000, KLOS makes one for $600. It's a travel guitar size with a CF body, but I think it has a wood neck and bridge. I am unsure how it plays.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:56 PM

eyesore, as some have already stated, there is no "cheap" carbon fiber guitar. There are some relative bargains and some used examples that pop up once in a while. But CF is an expensive and fussy material to work with, so they won't be under $1K, even used. They will be well-built instruments that require minimal maintenance and sound very good.

Composite Acoustics used to sell the Cargo for around $800, but could not survive at that price. My wife bought a new gloss Cargo with electronics three years ago for $1250, just before the price jumped to $1800 for the exact same thing.

IMO the best deal out there is the Rainsong C-H series, in whichever body size meets your needs. The C-H models are about half the price of the Rainsong standard series, but still get great reviews around here. If not for having my CF guitars in hand, these would be high on my list.
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....oustic-om.html

If you need a travel sized guitar, the Journey OF-660 gets good press and breaks down into an airline approved bag.
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....iant-case.html
Old 01-28-2018, 02:09 PM

There's a used RT660 on ebay for $879 or best offer. Seems like a good deal to me.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 PM

thank you guys! this is a whole new field for me . i've just begun to explore. never knew anything about them. i was shocked at the $$ ! i just figured they wer banged out at like candy bars. i didn't think there would be anything special. ...well i guess i'm dead wrong ,as usual,wife would say.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
thank you guys! this is a whole new field for me . i've just begun to explore. never knew anything about them. i was shocked at the $$ ! i just figured they wer banged out at like candy bars. i didn't think there would be anything special. ...well i guess i'm dead wrong ,as usual,wife would say.
Hey , c’mon in , kick yer shoes off , set a spell , pick some.*

Never a frown here, Nobody gives a rat’s about humidity, temperature , tone woods, ToneRites or Taylor’s new bracing

*Pretty impressive accent for a Limey eh ? I learned my authentic American speech from the Beverly Hillbillies,
the grits ‘n’ jowls are a simmerin’ on the stove.

Last edited by Long Jon; 01-28-2018 at 07:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber