The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-02-2018, 04:21 PM

Been a long wait Rodger for this stage!

Tim, I've been looking for those sanding blocks, where do you source yours from? Been using the disk attachments for the angle grinder, but it doesn't have that convenient handle...
Old 03-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
I'm waiting to see how a pickguard that says "the Dominator" can possibly fit in beautifully with this astounding guitar. As one who has done handwork his whole life, I found it just wonderful to see so many pictures of a master using experience, jigs, tools, and touch to arrive at precise and beautiful forms. Wow!
The pick guard has now been designed. Tim thought it was "great." Mary and Tim are not shy about speaking up if something isn't aesthetically pleasing. My daughter (Dominic's Mother) said, "Love it!" So, I think it will be OK. I'll keep everyone in suspense till Tim creates it and Mary takes its picture.

Couldn't agree more about Tim's mastery of guitar building.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Been a long wait Rodger for this stage!

Tim, I've been looking for those sanding blocks, where do you source yours from? Been using the disk attachments for the angle grinder, but it doesn't have that convenient handle...
Here ya go Louie:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/kl05340/

It’s for 5” hook n loop discs. They have other blocks too that may interest you.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Still love watching you work, Tim!
Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Still love watching you work, Tim!
Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder.

Steve
Thanks Steve and its our pleasure to share what we do in our shop. We are so blessed to do what we love to do, that is to build guitars and make people . PS, hope to shoot the final coat of oil varnish today if all goes as planned ... but you know how that goes, right?
Old 03-06-2018, 09:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Thanks Steve and its our pleasure to share what we do in our shop. We are so blessed to do what we love to do, that is to build guitars and make people . PS, hope to shoot the final coat of oil varnish today if all goes as planned ... but you know how that goes, right?

Aye, sir, I do. As Burns said, The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Actually--I believe--he said, "Gang aft agley". Which amounts to the same in the shop!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-06-2018, 04:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Boy I shouldn’t have sent that post. I sprayed the last coat of varnish and it looked like it had sand in it. It seems I grabbed a paint filter that was contaminated with dust. Oh well, tomorrow is another day to sand off this coat and try it again. Oh the little challenges that happen in the shop that only other builders understand 🤪
Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Here ya go Louie:
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/kl05340/

It’s for 5” hook n loop discs. They have other blocks too that may interest you.
Thanks! I have a couple other hook-and-loop blocks, but the 5" round seemed to have eluded me.... until now!

Edit: Just visited the site... Looks like I'm going to be dumping a load of money somewhere... Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by LouieAtienza; 03-06-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Thanks! I have a couple other hook-and-loop blocks, but the 5" round seemed to have eluded me.... until now!

Edit: Just visited the site... Looks like I'm going to be dumping a load of money somewhere... Thanks a lot!!!
Sure thing Louie. I’m always glad to help spend someone else’s money
Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Boy I shouldn’t have sent that post. I sprayed the last coat of varnish and it looked like it had sand in it. It seems I grabbed a paint filter that was contaminated with dust. Oh well, tomorrow is another day to sand off this coat and try it again. Oh the little challenges that happen in the shop that only other builders understand ��
Which means we have much more time to experience the wax on wax off method and we can pop more popcorn to watch paint dry. The McJam is June 22 and 23. We have time. (sigh)

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Which means we have much more time to experience the wax on wax off method and we can pop more popcorn to watch paint dry. The McJam is June 22 and 23. We have time. (sigh)
That's because the guitar wants to wait around until then and make it's debut to an audience!
Old 03-18-2018, 06:27 AM

I received the following message from Tim on Thursday...

I sprayed the final coat of varnish yesterday and it looks great. Now I will have to wait 3 weeks for it to fully cure before I can buff it out. The watching paint dry saga continues but we are in the home stretch now.

So, the suspense grows to a fever pitch. Three weeks of radio silence about "The Dominator" will ensue. (I can almost hear the paint drying)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:49 AM

The picture below proves that Tim will do anything that the customer asks. This morning, Mary sent out a text commenting (complaining?) about the snow. I asked her to please make sure that Tim "keeps an eye on my guitar."

Seconds later she sent this photo.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Hahaha this is great! I love my McKnight Highlander and I like to think that Tim kept as close an eye on it back when it was built.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:23 PM

Just hope you don't find an eyebrow hair or eyelash or two in the varnish. Or maybe this will be the first McKnight with a "Tim's forehead" imprint on the outside rather than a signature on the inside.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop