The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Default The best picks for Acoustic Guitar Strumming

I normally use my fingers when playing my acoustic (finger picking and strumming) but occasionally there's a song I feel warrants using a flat pick.
Can anybody suggest what gauge pick is best to use for strumming?
Old 12-09-2017, 11:41 AM

I like a flexible pick when strumming. A light or medium for me. Keep in mind different materials change flexibility, even if its the same thickness. I use a TUSQ pick thats 0.68 thick.
Too flexible and you get this kind of percussive sound of the plastic against the string (which you may or may not like).
Old 12-09-2017, 11:43 AM

Maybe start with picks in the .71 - 73 mm range in a variety of materials.
Gator Grip .71's are a nice strumming pick for me, especially for quick strumming.
There are so many and you're just going to have to experiment with the "feel", response and tone that suits you best. Good luck and have fun with it.
Fender Copperburst Telecaster.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

For pure strumming duty, the only pick I use is the Dava Control Pick (green). Sounds great no matter what guitar it's used with. And they don't wear at all either:

Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 AM

I think the medium range of .71-.73 is a good place to start. I currently prefer .60 Dunlop Tortex.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I have favorite picks ... Dava has some really cool hybrids for flex and stiff in one pick (the Delrin grip tips) and on the premium side I am addicted to Charmed Life .75s (blackie esp, but also like the brown). However sometimes for strumming a super flexible .5 - .6 cheapie Dunlap is just the ticket.

As Rockdog said, it depends on what sound you’re looking for, and different tunes call for different sounds ... picks can really affect the tone and the rhythmic punch, so I would start with one of those variety packs and experiment on different songs and styles. You will find some favorites and my guess is it will depend on the song/style and that your preferences will change over time, especially as your skills evolve.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-09-2017, 11:57 AM

O.6 - 0.7ish if you are not used to picks. Dunlop Gator and Tortex are easy to find. They are not necessarily the sound you are looking for but it''s a starting point and they are cheap.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
For pure strumming duty, the only pick I use is the Dava Control Pick (green). Sounds great no matter what guitar it's used with. And they don't wear at all either:

What gauge would that pick be?
Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 PM

For 45 years I have standardized on Fender medium 351 shape picks. You can get them anywhere.

I found long ago that I can get a large range of pick behaviors by turning it around backwards, angling it towards edge-on, etc. I use the same on both electric and acoustic.

As others have said, go for light or medium. With strumming you want all notes to be consistent in volume, harder to do that with a hard pick. I also think a bigger pick than the tiny tear drop ones often favored by jazz and metal players will give more note and less attack.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounddog905 View Post
I normally use my fingers when playing my acoustic (finger picking and strumming) but occasionally there's a song I feel warrants using a flat pick.
As you may have already noticed, you are going to get as many different answers as there are different picks, shapes and gauges.

Given what YOU might like is unknowable to anyone else, my advice is to spend $5 at a store and get a selection of shapes and sizes, and try them out. Once you narrow down shape and thickness for yourself, then you can start looking closer at materials and makes, including higher end picks.

What do I personally like? Usually a larger teardrop or a triangle, about 1.00 mm. Little picks are too hard to grip, and I want a bit of stiffness.

OMMV

TW
Old 12-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Picks work the same if you are strumming or flatpicking. If you want the sound of the guitar to come through, versus the sound of the pick and the strings, I would suggest something 1.5mm or thicker that has a speed bevel. Best material is casein but some plastics are good for a lower cost. Maybe try a Primetone small triangle in 1.5mm. For fast, smooth strumming, I usually round off one of the points.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounddog905 View Post
Hound, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a Fender Thin is around .60 mm and a Medium is around .75 mm, so that's a good guideline. I'd start thinner and go up the ladder from there. Nylon is a very popular material and particularly flexible.

Happy Hunting!

scott memmer
Old 12-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

After years of trying various picks I have pretty much settled on 3 picks. I am a "strummer", and use Charmed Life .75 tris in brown and black. But for really fast strumming I use a Guitar Moose pick, .50, clear. I must have 300 picks in bags that I have tried, so, like most here would suggest, take something from the contributors here but do lots of experimenting.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Dunlop Ultex are my go to picks.
Cheap and they sound great.
They offer a 6 pac with different gauge picks.
I suggest trying this to see which gauge you like best.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop/P...tex-Variety.gc

Last edited by L20A; 12-09-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:10 PM

Welcome to the Forum, Hounddog.

I am mostly a strummer. For strumming, I usually use .60 gauge picks made of Delrin.

Delrin is made by Dupont and is an acetalhomopolymer resin (whatever that is). It's properties are low friction, high wear resistance, flexibility, resilience, stiffness and strength. According to "Pick Collecting Quarterly" it has a warm and woody attack tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion