The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 12-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default SOLD - 2017 Custom Emerald Chimaera 6/12 Doubleneck (Artisan Series - Cocobolo Top)

I have owned a Chimaera since 2012 and upgraded to this stunning new 2017 coco woody model which I took delivery of this past August. It is the best yet, with all the latest innovations that Alistair Hay of Emerald has brought to the development of this game-changing, quality carbon fiber 6/12 doubleneck, including that the top wood is infused to the carbon fiber, so no adverse environmental impact whatsoever.

For a doubleneck, it is very lean...just 17” wide across the lower bout (just 1” wider than a GA), just 4” deep, and lightweight @ only 7lbs. It is equipped with Gotoh 510 Mini tuners and double-action truss rods in each neck.

To optimize electronics for this unique guitar, Alistair combined two LR-Baggs Element systems wired together in a low-profile way to have a volume and tone control for each neck, a 3-way toggle switch to allow either neck to be isolated or both on together, and a mono-to-stereo switch which allows for a mono output with everything blended onboard, or switch to stereo output allowing to split the signal externally for use with a floor pedal or run to separate amps or effects. I rarely plug-in, so I haven’t taken advantage of all this system offers, but it’s design is pretty impressive.

I have had a lot of fun with this and my previous Chimaera. It’s like having two guitars in one...being able to switch back and forth between necks within a given song is really neat and a unique challenge that really takes speed and timing that furthers a player’s ability. There are a number of classic rock songs that showcase both 6 and 12 string tones and licks that this guitar facilitates in one package. Beyond that, it’s cool to switch to the 12 during the chorus of any given song to add dynamics/tension making it sound even better than the original. Way cool!

So why have I decided to sell? I do so very reluctantly and have been lamenting this for over a month. For whatever reason, I find my guitar interests have recently changed to smaller guitars (I have my eye on a particular one) as well as wanting other gear to facilitate a desire to start playing out in retirement homes and such. I have a one-in, one-out buying/selling philosophy and the sale of this guitar will allow me to raise the funds for what I’d like to do. I’ve only had this Chimaera for four months, with only a couple of hours playing time on it (so it is virtually brand new) since I’ve been gravitating to playing my small, CA Cargo most of the time. The Chimaera has never been gigged, in fact it hasn’t been away from my house...a no smoking, no pet environment.

Ok, now to the deal...

For someone to buy this custom guitar new from Emerald with the cocobolo woody top, hardshell case and gigbag, it will cost $3,360 with a 5-6 month wait time. I’m willing to let it go for $2,975 and I will handle shipping (to CONUS) and PayPal fees.

Regarding shipping, although I’m in Canada, I’ll be in SW Florida from the first week in January until the end of April. I will be flying with the guitar gate-checked, so I’ll be shipping it from the Fort Myers area. It’s less complicated this way.

I’m posting it for sale now in case someone might like to allocate funds to this as a Christmas gift to him/herself so long as delivery early in January is ok.

I’ll promptly reply to all posts and PMs. Thanks for looking and considering. Below are the specs and more eye candy.

Specs

Scale Length 12 String: 25 1/2", 650mm
Scale Length 6 String: 25 1/2", 650mm
Nut Width 12 String: 1 15/16", 48.5mm
Nut Width 6 String: 1 3/4", 44.5mm
Bridge Spacing 12 String: 2 1/2", 63mm
Bridge Spacing 6 string: 2 1/4", 57mm
Overall Length: 41", 1050mm
Max Body Width: 17", 430mm
Max Body Depth: 4", 100mm
Max Body Length: 19", 485mm
Weight: 7lbs, 3.2kg
Truss rods: Each neck has a double-action truss rod
Frets: 20 medium stainless steel frets (both necks)
Tuners: Gotoh 510 mini tuners 18:1 ratio (cosmo black)
Nut/Saddle: Graphtech low friction nut and saddle
Bridge: Graphtech bridge pins with Paua shell inlay
Pickup: Custom-designed stereo LR Baggs pickup system
Finish: High gloss finish on all surfaces
Case: Custom hardshell case
Gig bag: Custom padded Emerald gig bag

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-11-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Guitar is sold
Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 PM

Sorry to see that you've posted this beauty "for sale", Tom. I recall how excited you were to finally get it a while back. But I understand. GLWS (good luck with sale). For that price, getting some awesome cocobolo top veneer AND both the gig bag and custom hard case is a pretty good deal, IMO.

Except for those rare who have tried a Chimaera, I had the March 2017 special edition for a week. Although I ultimately returned -- after considerable agonizing -- it because of some unique (to me) physical issues, it was an awesome guitar all around. It is far more comfortable to hold and play than the raw dimensions might suggest. I was so impressed by that Chimaera that I ended up ordering an X20-12, which is basically the twelve string side of this guitar on a slightly narrower body.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Sorry to see that you've posted this beauty "for sale", Tom. I recall how excited you were to finally get it a while back. But I understand. GLWS (good luck with sale). For that price, getting some awesome cocobolo top veneer AND both the gig bag and custom hard case is a pretty good deal, IMO.

Except for those rare who have tried a Chimaera, I had the March 2017 special edition for a week. Although I ultimately returned -- after considerable agonizing -- it because of some unique (to me) physical issues, it was an awesome guitar all around. It is far more comfortable to hold and play than the raw dimensions might suggest. I was so impressed by that Chimaera that I ended up ordering an X20-12, which is basically the twelve string side of this guitar on a slightly narrower body.
Thanks for your remarks, Earl.

The Chimaera offers a fun-factor and challenge that most players would enjoy. It’s not a novelty. It’s a serious, quality instrument that if one can appreciate, is very satisfying. Also, it is not a beast of a guitar...it’s ergonomics make it very comfortable and low-profile. I’ve had 5 years with three iterations of the Chimaera, again, this coco version being the best. The thing is, my GAS is taking me in another direction and this one guitar will generate the funds to allow me to get on with it.

If you’re on the fence about a guitar like this...be adventurous!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Anticipation Junkie

G’day all. As I won’t be shipping the guitar until early January once I’m in Fort Myers, I’m not going to occasionally bump this for sale thread until I actually get there. So I’ll bring it back to the top around January 7th. In the interim, a link to this ad is in my signature and will remain so until the guitar is sold, so if noticing it, feel free to contact me. If the guitar doesn’t sell here in early January, I’ll likely list it on Reverb and elsewhere.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Acousticado; 12-09-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:17 AM

Default Case

Nice hardcase that comes with. If for some odd reason someone just wants to buy your guitar without the case and just the gig-bag, I'd be interested in the case. Not a huge deal for me now, but in July I might be going up north with a lot of gear with my Chimeara, the case would be a convenient thing to have.

Sorry to see you selling this
Old 12-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
Nice hardcase that comes with. If for some odd reason someone just wants to buy your guitar without the case and just the gig-bag, I'd be interested in the case. Not a huge deal for me now, but in July I might be going up north with a lot of gear with my Chimeara, the case would be a convenient thing to have.

Sorry to see you selling this
Hi ASNS. Yes, the quality of the case is quite good. As a Chimaera owner yourself, you know that both the case and bag are custom to this guitar, so it’s unlikely that a buyer wouldn’t want both...it’s a big advantage to have them. That said, when it sells and if I’m left with the hard case, I’ll certainly let you know. Cheers!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Anticipation Junkie

The guitar, including both hard case and gigbag is sold. Thanks for looking!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars