The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I'm one of those who "used" to say that factory electronics are a deal killer. However, my recent purchase of a Taylor 458e pushed me into the camp of preference for no electronics. My preference is based on having no need for electronics and being what Taylor calls an acoustic purist. I personally wouldn't refer to myself as any kind of purist but Taylor uses the term and I own four Taylors so I'm sort of stuck with it....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM

I love gadgets of all forms so they don't bother me at all. I love buttons and sliders and blinking LEDs and such so having them on my guitars is perfectly fine for me. I'm even looking at getting myself an Epiphone DR-500MCE with the dual pickups and I have to admit part of the desire is based on that controller on the upper bout

At the same time, I'm fine with those who say they don't like them at all-just don't look down your noses too strongly at me for loving the electonica...

Best,
PJ
Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM

Deal killer? I dunno. I totally dislike the barn-door preamp systems in a lot of guitars. While I really don't like Taylor's ES system (either 1 or 2) I like the elegance of the three buttons. They are tasteful and not obtrusive. Vintage or near vintage guitars I'm much pickier about and have three guitar ranging from 27-45 years old. None of them have electronics built in nor will they. I'm happy just attaching a soundhole pickup and running the cord on the outside. I'm then able to use the same pickup on any of them when needed.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Deal killer? Probably not, depending. I am not a big fan of barn doors, so it would have to be one heck of a guitar. I prefer a passive internal like a K&K to anything with an internal battery. (I have one guitar which has one, that it came with. I tried it out when I got the guitar, and havn't plugged it in since. No idea if the battery is any good or not.) I've had a pickup put in exactly one guitar; but have several that came with one already installed. Which has on occasion proved useful when loaning someone a guitar to play live with.

However, since I don't play out, buying a guitar with a pickup already installed adds absolutely no value to me irregardless of if the seller thinks so. Their statement that they want $XXXX for the guitar because it also has an XYZ pickup in is so much white noise to me. The question is if I am willing to pay $XXXX irregardless of the presence of the XYZ.

OMMV

TW
Old 12-07-2017, 02:56 PM

If someone were to be offering a Martin Vintage series or better guitar that had a barn door cut into it, but the electronic gear taken out, then I might actually pay a premium. That would depend on if the sound hole improved the good guitar as much as the hole I put in the side of my $200 Alvarez improved that guitar.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
My only deal killers are bullet holes or bloodstains.
That's mojo, right there!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So I guess you might buy Willie's Trigger ? it's not a bullet hole and blood has been washed off

What price do you think that guitar would bring (in its current condition) if it weren't associated with Willie Nelson?

I suspect you might have to PAY somebody to take it off your hands!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Deal killer for me. I don't like cutaways either.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Deal killer for me. I don't like cutaways either.
Now a cutaway is a deal killer. Just can't make myself warm up to them regardless of how good the guitar is.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 PM

I think it is personal preference in most cases, just another decision criterion. I prefer to fit my own pickups, but it certainly wouldn't stop me buying a guitar I otherwise liked. Here's a recent solution of mine:

I pulled the preamp and UST and replaced them with a soundhole pickup and passive controls in the preamp hole that also serves as a sound port.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:00 PM

From now on, if there is a hole (besides end pin ream) in a guitar due to something with the electronics, I will not buy it. Call me closed minded...I don't care!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
From now on, if there is a hole (besides end pin ream) in a guitar due to something with the electronics, I will not buy it. Call me closed minded...I don't care!
What about that big hole in the very front of the guitar? I mean, EVERYBODY sees THAT ugly hole!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Electronics is not a deal killer for me because I install K+K pure mini in all my guitars.

The problem is I have yet to purchase a guitar with K+K installed. So I often have to rip out a working active or UST system first. And deal with barn doors and control cavities as well.

So PAYING for electronics I am going to end up removing is a deal killer for sure.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyvito View Post
Does drilling a large end pin hole bother you? I can’t bring myself to it.
Yes, that's why I let my repair person do it

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Ordered my 914 without electronics. Not a fan of the ES system as their are far better sounding pickups available that don't require drilling 3 holes in your upper bout or sending your guitar back to Taylor when it becomes obsolete or defective.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion