The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Can the apps I have no use for (Garageband, etc.) be discarded should I need room in the future?
Ah I was wondering because I do not know If they can or if so what if any apps can be removed without affecting the OS.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ah I was wondering because I do not know If they can or if so what if any apps can be removed without affecting the OS.
It looks like the answer is 'no.'

From an Apple Support page:
Uninstall apps
You can uninstall apps you got from the App Store, from other websites, or from discs. You can’t uninstall apps that are part of macOS, such as Safari and Mail.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Uninstall apps
You can uninstall apps you got from the App Store, from other websites, or from discs. You can’t uninstall apps that are part of macOS, such as Safari and Mail.
Hey thanks for looking into that. Fortunately with only using only 109 of a 512 GB drive it is not a issue and being a PCIe. Based SSD. It boots from computer off to desktop in about 23-25 seconds and PT launch is a out 7-8 seconds

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey thanks for looking into that. Fortunately with only using only 109 of a 512 GB drive it is not a issue and being a PCIe. Based SSD. It boots from computer off to desktop in about 23-25 seconds and PT launch is a out 7-8 seconds
Even though I have a lot more space eaten up than you do, I'm not too worried about either. It's unlikely I'll fill it up in the next 8-10 years (I figure that's life expectancy of this machine) as the only things that will go on it from here out are OS & PT upgrades and any additional plugins I might buy.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

In my limited experience, Macs will run a long time in the studio. I ran a Mac G4 from 2000 through 2011 using Mac OS versions 8 through 10.(I don't remember), and ProTools version 4.x through 7.4. Currently, I'm running a 2011 iMac, starting with Mac OS 10.(again, I don't remember which version) through High Sierra (currently) and ProTools 12.8.2. Along for those rides came several plugins including Waves Platnium, Altiverb, Massey, and a few others. I suspect I'll have to stop upgrading this newer Mac in a few years, but then I can coast for several more years with whatever versions are on the machine when I stop (or can no longer) upgrade.

I've had a similar longevity experience with my business Macs.

Short version: 10+ years on a Mac is not surprising at all.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:17 PM

I use a 2012 i5 mac mini with 16 gb of ram fireface800 and reaper in my studio
Old 12-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
In my limited experience, Macs will run a long time in the studio. I ran a Mac G4 from 2000 through 2011 using Mac OS versions 8 through 10.(I don't remember), and ProTools version 4.x through 7.4. Currently, I'm running a 2011 iMac, starting with Mac OS 10.(again, I don't remember which version) through High Sierra (currently) and ProTools 12.8.2. Along for those rides came several plugins including Waves Platnium, Altiverb, Massey, and a few others. I suspect I'll have to stop upgrading this newer Mac in a few years, but then I can coast for several more years with whatever versions are on the machine when I stop (or can no longer) upgrade.

I've had a similar longevity experience with my business Macs.

Short version: 10+ years on a Mac is not surprising at all.
Agreed I am still running a Mid 2010 Mac Pro (with only an upgrade to a PCIe SSD for the system drive) and expect to get another 5 years or so .
So High Sierra is working fine then , on PT 12.8.2 ? I am still on Sierra and waiting for qualification from Avid.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I use a 2012 i5 mac mini with 16 gb of ram fireface800 and reaper in my studio
Hey, do you use the Apple Thunderbolt to FW adapter to connect to the RME?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Uninstall apps
You sure can uninstall those apps. After itunes started randomly deleting some of my songs WITHOUT my permission (yes Itunes will delete your music if it feels like it) I considered it a virus and deleted it . I also deleted that piece garbage apple makes called safari you simply get the app info click the unlock button allow everyone to read and write to the app and then drag it to the trash and empty. Apple may lie to you and tell you that they are required by the OS but they are not.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
Hey, do you use the Apple Thunderbolt to FW adapter to connect to the RME?
no I use a fire wire 800 cable as the mini has a firewire 800 port
Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agreed I am still running a Mid 2010 Mac Pro (with only an upgrade to a PCIe SSD for the system drive) and expect to get another 5 years or so .
So High Sierra is working fine then , on PT 12.8.2 ? I am still on Sierra and waiting for qualification from Avid.
I'm still using Sierra. Once High Sierra become PT qualified, I may upgrade to it, but I may not because of the new file system introduced with High Sierra. I just don't know enough about that yet.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Software engineer here. First of all, unless your recording is of a mobile nature, I would recommend a desktop - far more powerful and configurable for the money. Latest gen core i7 intel and 32 GB RAM should be plenty. Choice of monitors is abundant, but Dell is normally known to make good ones with consistent quality.

My software recommendation may sound like a not so popular choice, however perfectly logical if you want to get serious - I use Ubuntu OS, because only a linux based OS will give you full control over your hardware, in which case avoiding proprietary walled gardens of M$ and Apple makes sense, plus you don't have to pay the brand tax and can invest that money into a good DAW instead - Ardour is a good one and there are other alternatives.

2020 Taylor 814ce DLX
2017 Taylor 414ce-R (Sold)
2015 Taylor 114ce (Sold)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:44 AM

I'm also a software engineer (Ga Tech EE 1989, hence the user name). I'll keep the Linux for my work; I run VMs of various distos for builds of embedded FW/SW products I am responsible for, but I love the Mac for audio, and won't be going down that road, no. I like stuff that works perfectly when I'm making music, without fooling with the tools. Thanks anyway.

Thanks to all for the input!

Pulled the trigger on a 27" iMac, 8Gb (will also be buying a 32Gb RAM kit), i7, 512 Gb SSD, and TB-FW adapter to connect to the RME. Will report how it does when it gets here in about 10 days. Woot!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
I'm also a software engineer (Ga Tech EE 1989, hence the user name). I'll keep the Linux for my work; I run VMs of various distos for builds of embedded FW/SW products I am responsible for, but I love the Mac for audio, and won't be going down that road, no. I like stuff that works perfectly when I'm making music, without fooling with the tools. Thanks anyway.

Thanks to all for the input!

Pulled the trigger on a 27" iMac, 8Gb (will also be buying a 32Gb RAM kit), i7, 512 Gb SSD, and TB-FW adapter to connect to the RME. Will report how it does when it gets here in about 10 days. Woot!
Great will be interested in your thoughts.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD