The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-27-2017, 05:25 PM
guitarsnpucks's Avatar
guitarsnpucks guitarsnpucks is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 154
Default 2016 Gibson Memphis ES-339 Studio

Well.... I gave in. I bought my first Gibson today.. The Cyber Monday sale from CME was just too good to pass up on. I got the guitar for $807 shipped to my front door. I know these retail for $1799. There will be a NGD thread when she arrives hopefully by the end of the week!

Ty

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-27-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Mich Novice Mich Novice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 118
Default

Congrats! Great score. People who own them love them!

Looking forward to your NGD post.
__________________
Simon & Patrick Showcase Mahogany
Ibanez AC240
Fender MIM Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom 22
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:12 PM
guitarsnpucks's Avatar
guitarsnpucks guitarsnpucks is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Congrats! Great score. People who own them love them!



Looking forward to your NGD post.


Thank you! I am really excited. Although my wife reminded me today... and she quoted me saying ďI will never buy a GibsonĒ after hearing about their quality is on the downfall. But Iím hoping and praying this will make me a Gibson believer!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Mich Novice Mich Novice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 118
Default

At the price you got it at especially worth it. Havenít spent any time on one but they look real comfortable.

I have hesitated pulling the trigger on any Epis because I hope to one day land the big brother version.
__________________
Simon & Patrick Showcase Mahogany
Ibanez AC240
Fender MIM Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom 22
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:05 PM
guitarsnpucks's Avatar
guitarsnpucks guitarsnpucks is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
At the price you got it at especially worth it. Havenít spent any time on one but they look real comfortable.



I have hesitated pulling the trigger on any Epis because I hope to one day land the big brother version.


Yeah, Epiphones have their place, but as a seasoned musician, I tend to need equipment that provides great tone and can be reliable on stage. My father-in-law has an Epiphone 339 that plays incredible! Iíll probably make a post comparing the two with my thoughts on playability versus quality versus price. But I imagine this Gibson will be a delight to play.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 PM
MBDiagMan MBDiagMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
Thank you! I am really excited. Although my wife reminded me today... and she quoted me saying ďI will never buy a GibsonĒ after hearing about their quality is on the downfall. But Iím hoping and praying this will make me a Gibson believer!
I think much of their quality problems were due to difficulty in getting raw materials. The problem has apparently eased up.
__________________
1969 Framus Solid Body Electric
1969 Schaller KV25 Amplifier
1997 Mexican Strat
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 PM
The Growler The Growler is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,472
Default

Great deal on a really nice guitar. Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:21 PM
MiG50 MiG50 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 173
Default

The ES-339 has been my "wishlist" guitar since they first came out. Unfortunately, two kids came before I could get the guitar, so it's been eluding me. I've also considered the Epi version (especially the P-90 equipped models), but have been holding out for a proper Gibby. Cheers on your purchase, I'll be living vicariously through you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-28-2017, 10:32 AM
guitarsnpucks's Avatar
guitarsnpucks guitarsnpucks is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 154
Default

UPDATE** - There was mixup with Chicago Music Exchange and my guitar had already been bought (it was after hours). They upgraded me to $1050 Gibson ES-335 in a Ginger Sunburst finish. The best part? Since it was there mistake, they kept me at $807! I am ecstatic! I had always wanted a 335, but the 339 appealed to me because of the smaller body size, but we are all acoustic players here, so Iím sure the body size wonít be an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 31,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
UPDATE** - There was mixup with Chicago Music Exchange and my guitar had already been bought (it was after hours). They upgraded me to $1050 Gibson ES-335 in a Ginger Sunburst finish. The best part? Since it was there mistake, they kept me at $807! I am ecstatic! I had always wanted a 335, but the 339 appealed to me because of the smaller body size, but we are all acoustic players here, so Iím sure the body size wonít be an issue.
Congrats! The 339 will sound a little different than a 335 but you may find it more comfortable to play. When will you get it?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:33 PM
guitarsnpucks's Avatar
guitarsnpucks guitarsnpucks is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats! The 339 will sound a little different than a 335 but you may find it more comfortable to play. When will you get it?


Hoping for Friday, but I donít know yet.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:37 PM
ChrisN ChrisN is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 864
Default

Absent the mixup I was anxious to ask you about the 339's neck. The non-Studios definitely have the choice between some kind of vintage 50s profile and the 60/30, which is a slightly thicker 60s slimfast, or something. I can't pin down what neck profile is on the studio.

While waiting for a Gibson 339, I bought a cheap epi version and it's got a Slimtaper "D" that I find a little thick compared to my LP and Gibson 390 (390 is Taylor-slim).

I also wanted to know why some 330 Studios have 2 vols and tones, while others are limited to 1 each. I have a LP studio ('93) and the only differences back then were binding and bling.

While I'm a fan of the smaller body 339/390, I'm sure you'll love the 335 - it's most peoples' keeper.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-28-2017, 04:44 PM
guitarsnpucks's Avatar
guitarsnpucks guitarsnpucks is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Absent the mixup I was anxious to ask you about the 339's neck. The non-Studios definitely have the choice between some kind of vintage 50s profile and the 60/30, which is a slightly thicker 60s slimfast, or something. I can't pin down what neck profile is on the studio.



While waiting for a Gibson 339, I bought a cheap epi version and it's got a Slimtaper "D" that I find a little thick compared to my LP and Gibson 390 (390 is Taylor-slim).



I also wanted to know why some 330 Studios have 2 vols and tones, while others are limited to 1 each. I have a LP studio ('93) and the only differences back then were binding and bling.



While I'm a fan of the smaller body 339/390, I'm sure you'll love the 335 - it's most peoples' keeper.


I saw the 2017 studios (both 335 and 339) have Traditional ĎCí necks, while the 2016s had Soft ĎCí. Do you know what Soft ĎCí means?

All Studio models prior to 2016 had 1 tone and 1 volume knob. 2016 and 2017 have 2 each like its older brothers (standard, vintage, etc).

I love the 339 body size as my father-in-law has an Epi Pro. Itís a killer guitar for $400 used..

I have had the bigger 335 body size in the past. It just has never been a Gibson. Hoping the quality far exceeds my expectations.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:30 PM
ChrisN ChrisN is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
I saw the 2017 studios (both 335 and 339) have Traditional ĎCí necks, while the 2016s had Soft ĎCí. Do you know what Soft ĎCí means?

All Studio models prior to 2016 had 1 tone and 1 volume knob. 2016 and 2017 have 2 each like its older brothers (standard, vintage, etc).

I love the 339 body size as my father-in-law has an Epi Pro. Itís a killer guitar for $400 used..

I have had the bigger 335 body size in the past. It just has never been a Gibson. Hoping the quality far exceeds my expectations.
Thanks to my 390, I have an understanding of Gibson's Slimtaper "C" (which I like, but which some say is too skinny), but I've not seen/played a Traditional or a Soft "C". I know an Epi "D" has shoulders where a "C" does not, but that's as far as I can take the analysis - wonder if a "soft C" is squished a bit so it's on its way to a mild V, but not quite? Sounds like I wouldn't be able to buy sight unseen on 339 necks. Based on what I've read, "Traditional" for Gibson might mean a thickish neck, as used by them in the 50s. I'll be interested to hear your impression.

I've got the same epi pro 339 as your FIL, so you know that neck, which Epi calls its "Slimtaper D". The problem for some is that Epi's neck names are pretty meaningless, as very different shapes/profiles can bear the same name. I do love the epi 339, and am hanging on to it to see if my capacity will grow into loving that D neck profile. I'm new to guitar, but have heard more experienced people who play a lot complain about hand pain/fatigue from thin necks, so it may be that I like the thin 390 neck because I'm new to the game, it's easy to play, and I don't play a lot, or for long.

Anyway, thanks for the 339 info - I'm glad they went back to dual vol/tone controls.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-28-2017, 08:06 PM
DukeX DukeX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,000
Default

Congrats on the 335! They are magic IMO.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=