The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Shortfinger Shortfinger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: FL & NY & IL
Posts: 314
Default Is anything other than strumming called fingerstyle?

Specifically the jazzy stuff I have learned: the Randy Newman "You've Got a Friend in Me," as done by the dad with his singer, little Claire. And a nice rendition of Lyle Lovett's "She's No Lady," as taught on YouTube by a guy playing a 12-fret hog Martin.

A lot of plucked chords that go thumb then i-m, or i-m-r. This, with some fills.

And some church hymns I've learned from Jim Nailon's YouTube channel. A bunch of thumb then pluck, and fills.

Is this all called fingerstyle?
__________________
______________________________________
Gene Davis
Naples, FL


1972 Martin D18
Fender PM-2 all-mahogany parlor
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Too many ukeleles
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM
fazool's Avatar
fazool fazool is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 13,224
Default

Originally, the term was for songs specifically where the vocal melody was played simultaneously over the harmony or traditional musical backing.

By that definition, a person cannot sing while playing a fingerstyle song as the point of fingerstyle is to replace the voice with single guitar notes, while also playing the guitar backing part.

As well a song merely plucked with your fingers is not true "fingerstyle" because it is not playing the voice part of the song.
__________________
Fazool Taylor GC7 | Taylor GA3-12
"The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter"

Last edited by fazool; 11-27-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2017, 01:26 PM
DukeX DukeX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 888
Default

I play with a flat pick and also with just fingers.

When playing with just fingers I use lots of different techniques including Travis picking, various Arpeggio picking, Clawhammer, strumming with my thumb, up/down strumming with my calloused index finger, and various combinations of all of the above (sometimes in a single musical piece).

To me this is both fingerstyle and finger picking.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2017, 01:44 PM
mr. beaumont mr. beaumont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,168
Default

I call it all "guitar playing."
__________________
Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2017, 01:52 PM
s0cks s0cks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 206
Default

If you are plucking the strings with the fingers then generally it's called fingerstyle (or fingerpicking). The former sounds like foreplay, the latter like something you do with your nose.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Tony Done Tony Done is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Posts: 1,990
Default

I distinguish between fingerpicking/fingerstyle and flatpicking/plectrum style. There is alos hybrid picking which involves both a plectrum and fingers. Fingerpicking would also include the use thumpicks and thimbles.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-27-2017, 05:15 PM
fazool's Avatar
fazool fazool is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 13,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0cks View Post
If you are plucking the strings with the fingers then generally it's called fingerstyle (or fingerpicking).....

No.

Fingerstyle is a very specific musical composition type.

fingerpicking is picking with your fingers.
__________________
Fazool Taylor GC7 | Taylor GA3-12
"The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:12 PM
s0cks s0cks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
No.

Fingerstyle is a very specific musical composition type.

fingerpicking is picking with your fingers.
I think in the broad sense, fingerstyle is generally just accepted as playing with your fingers. I checked Wikipedia and it says the same thing (it also said fingerpicking was a folk style). So it obviously has different meanings.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 PM
vindibona1's Avatar
vindibona1 vindibona1 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chicago- North Suburbs
Posts: 2,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0cks View Post
I think in the broad sense, fingerstyle is generally just accepted as playing with your fingers. I checked Wikipedia and it says the same thing (it also said fingerpicking was a folk style). So it obviously has different meanings.
I gotta go with s0cks on this one. When I think of "fingerpicking" I'm thinking more patterned picking of chords. While my regular repertoire contains several tunes which do in fact include melody, harmony, rhythm, and of course that is "fingerstyle", I don't exclude from the term plucking out jazz chords with my fingers even though I'm not necessarily playing the melody. In some cases within the chords I'll occasionally lay in harmonies to the melody as needed musically. So, am I in one moment doing fingerstyle and the next fingerpicking? If we breakt it down finger style is styling with the fingers. Who cares if there is a melody in there.

Anyway, why argue the semantics of it? It's all good.
__________________
2017 Taylor 814ceDLX
2011 Taylor 614ce
'72 Martin D-35
'74 Alvarez Yairi DY77
'90 Alvarez Yairi DY71
'81 Epiphone PR-755s
Old Yamaha DX7
A bunch of Strats and LP's and Tele and a bass and some random trumpets


"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two"
-Boosted from Farmers Insurance
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:25 PM
Tele1111's Avatar
Tele1111 Tele1111 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 1,138
Send a message via Skype™ to Tele1111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Originally, the term was for songs specifically where the vocal melody was played simultaneously over the harmony or traditional musical backing.

By that definition, a person cannot sing while playing a fingerstyle song as the point of fingerstyle is to replace the voice with single guitar notes, while also playing the guitar backing part.

As well a song merely plucked with your fingers is not true "fingerstyle" because it is not playing the voice part of the song.
I disagree with almost all of the above. “Originally”?
By who’s determination? If you agree with Fazool, you must also accept his “definition”? No thanks.

I’m with Jeff-but I call it “playing guitar”. Lol

Mark
__________________
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:46 PM
fazool's Avatar
fazool fazool is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 13,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
I disagree with almost all of the above. “Originally”?
By who’s determination? If you agree with Fazool, you must also accept his “definition”? No thanks.

I’m with Jeff-but I call it “playing guitar”. Lol

Mark
You make a good point....originally I wrote "In my use of the word.......then wrote that" then I erased it to claim it more definitively.

After reading your rebuttal, I questioned my conviction and searched. I can't find many credible references to the etymology of the word but it first appeared in the 1930's and did, in fact, mean just finger-plucking.

hmmmmm......

The ironic thing is I often say I play fingerstyle but then amend that to say fingerpicking. I even wrote that originally.

Whenever I see a fingerstyle solo artist or song they "always" seem to be the way I wrote it (my definition in my own head). Partly because there were different words (finger-pick, finger-pluck, finger-style) so it made sense to me that they should (must?) have different meanings.

I surrender the point and am switching sides. I agree with the majority now that fingerstyle can mean just fingerpicking/plucking/playing.
__________________
Fazool Taylor GC7 | Taylor GA3-12
"The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-27-2017, 10:56 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sometimes snow belt, sometimes sun belt
Posts: 9,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Originally, the term was for songs specifically where the vocal melody was played simultaneously over the harmony or traditional musical backing.

By that definition, a person cannot sing while playing a fingerstyle song as the point of fingerstyle is to replace the voice with single guitar notes, while also playing the guitar backing part.

As well a song merely plucked with your fingers is not true "fingerstyle" because it is not playing the voice part of the song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
No.

Fingerstyle is a very specific musical composition type.

fingerpicking is picking with your fingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You make a good point....originally I wrote "In my use of the word.......then wrote that" then I erased it to claim it more definitively.

After reading your rebuttal, I questioned my conviction and searched. I can't find many credible references to the etymology of the word but it first appeared in the 1930's and did, in fact, mean just finger-plucking.

hmmmmm......

The ironic thing is I often say I play fingerstyle but then amend that to say fingerpicking. I even wrote that originally.

Whenever I see a fingerstyle solo artist or song they "always" seem to be the way I wrote it (my definition in my own head). Partly because there were different words (finger-pick, finger-pluck, finger-style) so it made sense to me that they should (must?) have different meanings.

I surrender the point and am switching sides. I agree with the majority now that fingerstyle can mean just fingerpicking/plucking/playing.
faz, you may have thought about it more and adjusted your thinking, but your initial perspective is the first and best I’ve read of a potential distinction between fingerpicking and fingerstyle and I will tend to think of it this way from now on. I’m a hybrid strummer/fingerpicker who sings and if my fingerpicking can be considered as fingerstyle, then I’m so far off from those I consider as REAL fingerstylists (and never before considered a distinction that they are also playing the vocal melody because they don’t sing), and will never be, nor do I care to be...I appreciate the technical ability, but the styling is not personally appealing to me for more that a short time. Usually, I want to hear singing as well.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX-Rosewood | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String-Walnut | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom (On order) | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2017, 11:36 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 11,352
Default

Polyphonic music performed using two or more picking hand digits (flatpick counts as a digit in the case of hybrid picking)
abetted in many cases by fretting hand hammer-ons and pull-offs. Various permutations in idioms have been labeled with
their own names.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:00 AM
SprintBob SprintBob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 2,045
Default

When picking only with my fingers with little to no strumming, I always distinguish by calling a song where I am playing the melody, rhythm, and bass lines “solo fingerstyle” and when not playing the melody line just “fingerstyle”.
__________________
Santa Cruz Skye 00
Taylor - 714ce 12 fret, GS7, 562ce 12 fret, 812ce 12 fret, K-22ce 12 fret, T5, T3
Collings OM1AH
Jake Robinson 12 Fret Slope Shoulder Dread
Rainsong P-12
Cordoba GK Pro Negra
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-28-2017, 06:15 AM
JonPR JonPR is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Originally, the term was for songs specifically where the vocal melody was played simultaneously over the harmony or traditional musical backing.

By that definition, a person cannot sing while playing a fingerstyle song as the point of fingerstyle is to replace the voice with single guitar notes, while also playing the guitar backing part.

As well a song merely plucked with your fingers is not true "fingerstyle" because it is not playing the voice part of the song.
Do you have a source for this definition? Sounds unnecessarily narrow to me.
__________________
"There's only two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both kinds." - Duke Ellington.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=