The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Default Nylon with Classical Width Nut?

My wife has been playing her classical a lot more than her steel strings lately, to the point where for some reason she actually prefers that giant 2" wide nut.

Anyone making a Carbon Fiber Nylon string with a classical profile neck? Every one I have looked at appears to be more of a cross-over style.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Blackbird Rider Nylon
Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Bry nailed it AZ,

Not sure is your looking for a traditional size guitar or not, but the Blackbird Nylon Rider does have a traditional classical neck size and shape, with a 2" nut. Although it looks like the steel Rider, it's bigger, about the size of the CA Cargo. With the supplied NeckUp strap it's an incredibly comfortable guitar to play, and the tone will not disappoint either. It was designed by Joe as a travel guitar for classical players, so it's a real classical, not a steel string with nylon strings.

Sadly the days of Blackbird CF guitars are numbered as they transition to Ekoa, so only few more of these will be built.

If you have never seen one, here it is:

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 11-26-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Yeah, she's looking for something a bit more traditional.

The Rainsong Nylon Parlor would be perfect but it has a 1 3/4" nut.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-24-2017, 09:30 PM
Guest 928

AZ;

The Blackbird nylon Rider may not look traditional, but it comes the closest to a production CF guitar matching the classical guitar neck and sound. Perhaps if your wife had the chance to play one she might change her mind. I had one but being more hybrid oriented I did not like the wide nut.

Blackbird also made 5 Super OM nylon string guitars. They look somewhat like a Craviola--these are probably collectors items and hard to find.

The Rainsong is a very nice guitar. I do not like the narrow nut width, but have gotten used to it.

Your best bet for a CF classical may be an Emerald. The X10N is about the right size and Emerald will make any scale or nut width wanted. Emerald's wood veneers are also stunning.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
AZ;

The Blackbird nylon Rider may not look traditional, but it comes the closest to a production CF guitar matching the classical guitar neck and sound. Perhaps if your wife had the chance to play one she might change her mind.
Plus one on this.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Yeah, she's looking for something a bit more traditional.....
Plus two here. As the old Motel 6 commercial goes, "All rooms look the same in the dark".

I admit to being skeptical of the form factor and appearance of the Rider -- until I actually played one. It has a much bigger and nicer sound than you would suspect. Using a strap or a Neck-Up device, it was easy to play in the classical position. If you want good sound, great playability and a convenient travel package, Rider is it. Not to mention the durability and stability of CF construction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber