The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Default First electric guitar/amp combo - good choice?

The pangs of GAS are beginning on my first electric guitar and amp to be used “medicinally” in cathartic home and recording situations.

Please feel free to comment on the combination of a Music Man Cutlass and a Line 6 Spider Jam combination.

Thank you.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
The pangs of GAS are beginning on my first electric guitar and amp to be used “medicinally” in cathartic home and recording situations.

Please feel free to comment on the combination of a Music Man Cutlass and a Line 6 Spider Jam combination.

Thank you.
I have not played any Music man Guitars but the Cutlass seems like it would be a really nice first electric guitar Modern /vintage Strat type with silent single coils and locking tuners what's not to like . If you have been able or will be able to play one, it will not take long to know if it is what you want.

The amp ? I would definitely recommend go play as many different amps in your budget range as you can. I honestly do not know if I played the Jam when I went on the same quest a year ago, I played a bunch of amps in the $300 to $700 range including several line 6 amps . . After playing a number of offerings in that price range I found that I did not really care for the sound of the digital modeling available at that price point area. And I found that I preferred the sound of valves over SS also

And obviously those are completely subjective considerations BUT For me personally Valve or solid state I would rather spend my money on quality physical components than digital features. But you have enough experience with sound to just go play and you will fairly quickly get a sense of which direction you want start with.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-15-2017, 01:52 PM

Thanks Kev - you saved me the trouble of a post...
Old 11-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Thanks Kev - you saved me the trouble of a post...
Yes Obie Wan, come a long way I have

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-15-2017, 04:31 PM

The Cutlass will likely be great but I'd go for a nice used Peavey Classic 30 (in that price range) rather than the modeler. The modelers are kinda fun for a while but (to me) tiresome to the ears eventually. That Cutlass needs a nice tube amp. Maybe a Vox AC15. Deluxe Reverb or Blues Jr.? Ahh. Or a small Boogie. Now we're getting medicinal. Cannabis Rex speaker.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
...That Cutlass needs a nice tube amp. Maybe a Vox AC15. Deluxe Reverb or Blues Jr.? Ahh. Or a small Boogie. Now we're getting medicinal. Cannabis Rex speaker.
Take one of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V22InfiCombo

- with this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V22PC

- this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SwampThang

- and some of these:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...remium-Package

My go-to setup for the last several years: far less $$$ than the Boogie and '65 Deluxe RI, better cleans than the former/more versatile than the latter, the AC15 sounds edgy and nasal by comparison, more amp for the money than the BJ even in stock form - and thanks to the new Infinium circuitry tube swaps don't require a trip to your friendly local tech for a bias job (around $100 in my neck of the woods). The benefit here is that you can fine-tune your own signature tone the way the pros do (FYI not all 12AX7's or EL84's sound alike, and the right tube in the right position can make a world of difference) or cop the main mojo of any of the aforementioned amps using a combination of power modes, clean/OD, and mid-boost/EQ in addition to some well-chosen glassware. The new ones are quite impressive right from the box, BTW - I wouldn't hesitate to bring one to a gig sight unseen/unheard if my modded first-run version ever crapped out on me - and if there's anything in the same price range (<$400) with a better price/performance ratio I've yet to find it...

Just what the doctor ordered...
Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 PM

There are a lot of options, and everybody has their preferences. All of the suggestions so far have been good.

I don't think you need to spend anywhere near $1,600 on a Musicman Strat copy to get an excellent guitar you'd be happy with...especially for a first electric.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Thank you.
I'll be a bit more direct. I wouldn't touch that amp with a ten-foot cattle prod.

You didn't mention budget but, assuming you have only enough to buy the Line 6 amp and that EB guitar, I'd suggest you instead buy a used American strat from Craigslist and put your money into a good amp. Steve's ever-popular V22 is a fine way to go, but there are plenty of others. For example (although I don't know what kind of music you play) for the same money you could get a nice used American Strat and a used Mesa Express 5:50 Plus or Express 5:25 Plus and have a far superior tone and growth potential.

If you have a bit more, I'd still say put money into the amp but I'd also point out that, for the $1600 you're about to pay for the EB, you can get a used Suhr or Tom Anderson strat-style guitar. I like Ernie Ball guitars, as a general thing, but they're not in the same league as the Suhr or Anderson. I'm NOT saying there's anything wrong with the EB, far from it, but my opinion is that you can probably do better for the money, or do just as well for less.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 AM

I agree with the others regarding the guitar choice. That plus the amp is $1900 total ($1500 + $400) unless you've found a deal somewhere (or used models).
You can get a new Fender American Strat for $1000 (Guitar Center price) and a Fender Princeton amp from American Musical now for $900.

I have nothing against Line 6 amps, but the Jam is an older model (the modeling is 5 years old, at least), and unless there is some reason you want the built-in looper or extra inputs, you could get the same sounds from a Spider IV 75 - used these are going for under $200 now. You CAN get good tones from a Spider amp, and having the built-in effects is a plus if you want to experiment with sounds without spending a fortune on stompboxes. I record with a Spider 75, and have had people think I'm using tube amps - when I dial in the sound 'just so'.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-16-2017, 11:41 AM

I've just bought a Marshall Code 25 modelling amp to replace my Fender Mustang 1 older modelling amp.

I'm still gassing for a valve amp although the Marshall sounds pretty good most of the time.

One example of a modelling "problem" is on some distorted tones when I allow a note to fade or decay in volume it doesn't clean up like a real valve amp.

I would say spend a bit less on the guitar and a bit more on the amp. I would rather have a US Fender over the Cutlass.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

Last edited by paulp1960; 11-16-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Valve vs solid state...I went with the best of both worlds and bought the Fender Super Champ X2 for $379, and it is a true Fender tube amp with a separate SS channel...Which brings me to a big selling point, at least for me. The X2 has 2 channels, and this is a feature I am always looking for when shopping for an amp, especially if I think it may be used in a live setting at some point. I have owned this amp for a little while now and still haven't even scratched the surface of possibilities. It is only 15 watts (I say only, when in fact it is quite a bit) but I have always mic'd my amps to a PA, anyway, so the size, weight, and overall quality of the X2 made sense to me, and it was only $379. For the recording studio needs, like you stated, I believe this amp would be nothing short of great, to put it mildly.

I have played electric guitar for over 30 years. I have never paid $1600 for an electric and I doubt if I ever will. And I certainly could have an axe in that price range if I wanted to spend that much, but I see no reason whatsoever to spend that much. So much guitar can be had for under $1k, the options are endless. Depending on the style(s) of music you play, again, the options are endless. In reality, a perfectly acceptable, even outstanding electric guitar can be had for $500 or less, and I believe that to be 100% true.

Just curious, why are you considering the Music Man? What is it about this particular guitar that has your attention?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Hello all!

Thank you so much for your opinions.

I'll address some things...

1) I auditioned all the strat-like models at my local huge music store. This included all the "real" strat models (Mexican, American, Pro, Elite) as well as the Music Man. To my hands, I really liked the Music Man neck and the build quality. Just for fun I also looked at all the Fender Tele models too.

2) My choice for amp is far less informed. I chose that Line 6 model not because of modeling but because of the cool "practice" features. It has hundreds of "play along" modes, and a built in looper adds to the "learning fun".

I do "know" that tubes are cool and can sound good. I also know how loud 10 "real" watts is. Looking (and listening to a bunch of YouTube vids) I do like the Fender Bassbreaker 15 - 15-watt 1x12".

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 11-16-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM

im far from any guitar expert- strat doesnt mean fender, i had a older 68 strat and liked it better then the new ones- however there's certainly a list of options- the G&L tele style looks nice for $300 bucks- but anyway- i can understand your feelings about a neck, thats my main concern, before you decide on an amp ( i dont like line 6 anyway) i suggest get your guitar, whatever you end up that, and take 'that' guitar and actually try the amps
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 11-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello all!

Thank you so much for your opinions.

I'll address some things...

1) I auditioned all the strat-like models at my local huge music store. This included all the "real" strat models (Mexican, American, Pro, Elite) as well as the Music Man. To my hands, I really liked the Music Man neck and the build quality. Just for fun I also looked at all the Fender Tele models too.

2) My choice for amp is far less informed. I chose that Line 6 model not because of modeling but because of the cool "practice" features. It has hundreds of "play along" modes, and a built in looper adds to the "learning fun".

I do "know" that tubes are cool and can sound good. I also know how loud 10 "real" watts is. Looking (and listening to a bunch of YouTube vids) I do like the Fender Bassbreaker 15 - 15-watt 1x12".
Hey If you played the Music Man and got that "Hey I really like this" or "It spoke to you" moment,.... then go with your gut.... No doubt people are just offering honest thoughts on their thinking which is valuable ...but they ain't you.....
I bought my PRS CE 24 exactly because I got that "feeling"... I had fully intended to get either a Strat or a Tele and had played a number of them over three weeks to month. And liked the Elite series a lot, but it was more of a "Ya these are nice" thingy. I played the PRS and boom I knew. Same way I ended up with the three acoustics I have

As far as amps (I am no expert ) but I do know sound and what I like and feel.

I was going to get an amp with modeling and was thinking the same , with a looper and or built in rhythm runs for practice ( I specifically wanted to learn to play lead riffs)
But try as I might I kept gravitating to valve amps and then Steve D posted a heads up about Sweetwater almost 1/2 price sale on a Supro and I jumped on it . Now for me personally I completely enjoy playing the 50 watt Supro at low Bedroom levels as well as louder
Personally I like clean a lot and I do not think it is necessary to have heavy breakup to hear and enjoy the benefits and harmonics of tubes .

So I got a Boss RC3 looper and honestly I don't use the pre recorded rhythms. I much prefer to lay down and loop my own chords and then play leads over it
Just something to think about

I agree the Fender BassBreaker 15 looks interesting My local shop will be getting some in soon and I will be playing them . Although I would probably go with the Head and 1x12 Cab myself even though it is $200 more .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 11-16-2017, 05:25 PM

I cannot speak to the guitar in question, as i am not familiar. I tried a couple of Line 6 amps last week. I didn't like them. AT ALL.

That's like getting a ferrari and filling the tank with water IMO.

I DO understand the importance of neck feel. Do yourself a favor and try some Reverends and G&L's before you pull the trigger.

If you are going the modeling route there are a ton of better options. Katana 50, Super Champ X2, Champion 40, Orange Crush and on and on.

If you are going to spend serious bones on the guitar you should be rewarded with good tone too. That requires a good amp.

I really like the Bassbreaker too.

Get a good amp and then get a multi effect pedal like a Zoom X1ON (I have one). Lots of fun features can be had in effects pedals at a very low price point. If I were you, I would go for TONE with the amp and FEATURES with a multi fx pedal.

A great guitar with a crummy amp still = no fun and regrets. The amp is just as important as the guitar.

Take your time.

PS - You should look at the SDOTD - G&L Tribute Tele. A great mid-range guitar and gig-worthy.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars