The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,721
Default Michael Dunn Weissenborns

Discuss...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Bruce Sexauer's Avatar
Bruce Sexauer Bruce Sexauer is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Posts: 5,028
Default

I shared a shop with Michael Dunn in the late '60s and consider him my greatest single influence as a builder. He builds as lightly as anyone, and his instruments are incredibly responsive with a tendency to produce deep bass and stellar treble voices. I know absolutely nothing about Weissenborn instruments besides being able to recognize them, but surely they are right up Dunn's alley! He is a great player, by the way, possibly the best guitarist in the entire Lutherie profession.
__________________
Bruce
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2017, 11:10 AM
murrmac123's Avatar
murrmac123 murrmac123 is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edinburgh, bonny Scotland
Posts: 4,872
Default

A video of Michael Dunn playing one of his Weissenborn style guitars.



I have no doubt that Michael Dunn is a very accomplished player, but IMO you would be unlikely ever to find another luthier who can equal the virtuosity of Steve Hicks, seen here playing one of his own guitars.

__________________
The new TECHNOFRET Saddle clamp ... makes perfect saddle shaping a breeze.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:26 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
A video of Michael Dunn playing one of his Weissenborn style guitars.



I have no doubt that Michael Dunn is a very accomplished player, but IMO you would be unlikely ever to find another luthier who can equal the virtuosity of Steve Hicks, seen here playing one of his own guitars.

A better clip:



Although the question was more towards his prowess as a builder.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
He builds as lightly as anyone, and his instruments are incredibly responsive with a tendency to produce deep bass and stellar treble voices.
That is an extremely accurate description of the instrument in question, Bruce.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:45 PM
murrmac123's Avatar
murrmac123 murrmac123 is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edinburgh, bonny Scotland
Posts: 4,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
A better clip:



Although the question was more towards his prowess as a builder.
Indeed ...I was just commenting on Bruce's ..."possibly the best guitarist in the entire Lutherie profession"... which title belongs to Steve Hicks, IMO, AFAIK , YMMV etc etc ......

I am sure that if Bruce rates him that highly as a builder, he must indeed be very accomplished.

(Link sorted btw)
__________________
The new TECHNOFRET Saddle clamp ... makes perfect saddle shaping a breeze.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Indeed ...I was just commenting on Bruce's ..."possibly the best guitarist in the entire Lutherie profession"... which title belongs to Steve Hicks, IMO, AFAIK , YMMV etc etc ......

I am sure that if Bruce rates him that highly as a builder, he must indeed be very accomplished.

(Link sorted btw)
Hicks is a good fingerpicker, I agree. I particularly liked his arrangement of "stairway to Mozart." I just didn't what to have the thread get derailed onto who is the best player. Dunn plays a very different style anyway. I guess he is very highly thought of as a gypsy-jazz player. And I like his steel playing.

(Hmmm.. idea for a new thread: luthier who is the most accomplished player. Must provide supporting evidence; your opinion isn't enough... Now if I could just get my YouTube links to work)

TW
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2017, 01:52 PM
murrmac123's Avatar
murrmac123 murrmac123 is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edinburgh, bonny Scotland
Posts: 4,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

(Hmmm.. idea for a new thread: luthier who is the most accomplished player. Must provide supporting evidence; your opinion isn't enough...
LOL ... I was thinking exactly the same thing ... btw all you put in between the YOUTUBE tags is the final 11 characters of the Youtube URL ... leave out all the www.https. v= stuff .... just the final 11 characters.
__________________
The new TECHNOFRET Saddle clamp ... makes perfect saddle shaping a breeze.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
LOL ... I was thinking exactly the same thing ... btw all you put in between the YOUTUBE tags is the final 11 characters of the Youtube URL ... leave out all the www.https. v= stuff .... just the final 11 characters.
There ya go. Now, if I can just find a clip of Kathy Wingert...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Tony Done Tony Done is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Posts: 1,990
Default

I like that, I hear it as dark and "stringy", and I suppose that all those extra strings are acting as sympathetic drones (right term?). I'm interested in lap steels and have a Gibson prototype kona, all-mahogany, and weighing about 2 1/2 lbs. A very nice guitar in its own way, but I have often thought that I would be better off with the darker sound of a good weissenborn, as in that vid.

Last edited by Tony Done; 11-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2017, 08:13 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,721
Default

2010. Padauk back and sides (from Nigeria, per the Lacey import sheet). Soundboard is Douglas Fir. Ebony fingerboard, Philippine Mahogany head, Maple bridge, EI Rosewood/Maple rope binding, Koa headplate. 25" scale.

And it mine. All mine. Bwahahahaha......
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
2010. Padauk back and sides (from Nigeria, per the Lacey import sheet). Soundboard is Douglas Fir. Ebony fingerboard, Philippine Mahogany head, Maple bridge, EI Rosewood/Maple rope binding, Koa headplate. 25" scale.

And it mine. All mine. Bwahahahaha......
Anyone...?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Kenny B Kenny B is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 55
Default

I have one that I bought in 2005. Koa and Douglas fir

Very lightly built, installed Waverly tuners which it needed. Paid too much for it, but itís nice.
__________________
Lowden Richard Thompson Signature 2009
Beneteau Concert cutaway Sitka/Maple 2009
Beneteau Baritone Sitka/Walnut 2005
Beneteau Concert cutaway Adi/Honduras Rosewood 2003
Kraut OM Euro/Braz 2014
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
I have one that I bought in 2005. Koa and Douglas fir

Very lightly built, installed Waverly tuners which it needed. Paid too much for it, but itís nice.
Paid too much because it is not worth what you paid for it, or paid too much because you paid more than you wanted to pay in order to get it??
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=