The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 10-22-2017, 07:47 PM
email4eric email4eric is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
Can you all comment on string spacing in terms comparative to other (perhaps wood) guitars?

Most CF look to be narrow-ish in this area. How does the Savoy compare?

Thanks!
Hoping someone will respond to the above. Also, with regard to the CH-OM also discussed in this thread.

If helpful, I'll ad that I gravitate, in terms of comfort and string spacing, to my Gibson J35 and my CE0-7 -- A little more so than my 000-15 but I adore the 15's tone. All three of these I like greatly in terms of tone.

I'm concerned about string spacing but have considered the Savoy and the CH-Om...Can anyone comment on the spacing relative to that which I've referenced above?

Thanks much!
__________________
Martin CEO-7, Martin 000-15sm, Gibson J-35, Ibanez AC240, Yamaha FD01S, Journey RT660
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Ted @ LA Guitar Sales Ted @ LA Guitar Sales is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
Hoping someone will respond to the above. Also, with regard to the CH-OM also discussed in this thread.

If helpful, I'll ad that I gravitate, in terms of comfort and string spacing, to my Gibson J35 and my CE0-7 -- A little more so than my 000-15 but I adore the 15's tone. All three of these I like greatly in terms of tone.

I'm concerned about string spacing but have considered the Savoy and the CH-Om...Can anyone comment on the spacing relative to that which I've referenced above?

Thanks much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
Can you all comment on string spacing in terms comparative to other (perhaps wood) guitars?

Most CF look to be narrow-ish in this area. How does the Savoy compare?

Thanks!
Not sure how I missed this.

Rainsong and Blackbird use the 1-3/4" nut 2-3/16" saddle spacing combo used on all Taylor models, as well as Martins with the PA necks, and most Collings models. Composite Acoustics and Journey also have 1-3/4" nut width, but they opted for the 2-1/4" saddle spacing.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sometimes snow belt, sometimes sun belt
Posts: 10,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Not sure how I missed this.

Rainsong and Blackbird use the 1-3/4" nut 2-3/16" saddle spacing combo used on all Taylor models, as well as Martins with the PA necks, and most Collings models. Composite Acoustics and Journey also have 1-3/4" nut width, but they opted for the 2-1/4" saddle spacing.
Ted, I think I already know the answer is no, but can/will Blackbird do a 2-1/4 saddle spacing on the Savoy? My guitars have both the 2-3/16 and 2-1/4, but my bare fingerpicking style tends to prefer the bit wider spacing.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 PM
Ted @ LA Guitar Sales Ted @ LA Guitar Sales is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Ted, I think I already know the answer is no, but can/will Blackbird do a 2-1/4 saddle spacing on the Savoy? My guitars have both the 2-3/16 and 2-1/4, but my bare fingerpicking style tends to prefer the bit wider spacing.
I don't see that as an option, but I will check with Joe to be sure.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sometimes snow belt, sometimes sun belt
Posts: 10,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I don't see that as an option, but I will check with Joe to be sure.
Ok, thanks!
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 PM
email4eric email4eric is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Ted, I think I already know the answer is no, but can/will Blackbird do a 2-1/4 saddle spacing on the Savoy? My guitars have both the 2-3/16 and 2-1/4, but my bare fingerpicking style tends to prefer the bit wider spacing.
Yes! My preference too! I'd be interested in the answer to that as well!

Also Ted, would you be able to determine the same with regard to the CH-OM?

I've emailed RS twice with questions and never have received an answer...Maybe I just don't know the secret email address!
__________________
Martin CEO-7, Martin 000-15sm, Gibson J-35, Ibanez AC240, Yamaha FD01S, Journey RT660
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:48 PM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 977
Default

Bridge string spacing on my CH-OM1100NS is 2 3/16". Feels plenty wide enough for my finger style playing. Between that and 2 1/4" (1/16th inch difference at the bridge), when played at the sound hole, feels pretty much moot to me. No where near enough difference to matter significantly to me.

Last edited by DHart; 10-24-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 PM
Tf Tf is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 25
Default

I have a 2 1/4’’ string spacing on my Savoy. It requires a custom bridge though, and the option is quite costly (+200$)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sometimes snow belt, sometimes sun belt
Posts: 10,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Bridge string spacing on my CH-OM1100NS is 2 3/16". Feels plenty wide enough for my finger style playing. Between that and 2 1/4" (1/16th inch difference at the bridge), when played at the sound hole, feels pretty much moot to me. No where near enough difference to matter significantly to me.
Our playing styles may be similar, but when I play my Taylor 814c with the 2-3/16” spacing, I play it fine, but I do notice and prefer the slightly increased 1/16” space on my Cargo. I know they are otherwise entirely different guitars, but approaching the guitars with the same technique and song, there is a noticeable difference...to me.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sometimes snow belt, sometimes sun belt
Posts: 10,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tf View Post
I have a 2 1/4 string spacing on my Savoy. It requires a custom bridge though, and the option is quite costly (+200$)
Thanks Tf. Im glad to know that at least its an option.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-24-2017, 11:27 PM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Our playing styles may be similar, but when I play my Taylor 814c with the 2-3/16” spacing, I play it fine, but I do notice and prefer the slightly increased 1/16” space on my Cargo. I know they are otherwise entirely different guitars, but approaching the guitars with the same technique and song, there is a noticeable difference...to me.
I'd say go with whatever difference makes a difference to you. That's all that matters!

I have so many different guitars, that I just roll with whatever happens to be under my fingers. . The subtle differences between them all don't seem to phase me that much. They each have their own unique sensibilities, advantages, and disadvantages.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sometimes snow belt, sometimes sun belt
Posts: 10,237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I'd say go with whatever difference makes a difference to you. That's all that matters!

I have so many different guitars, that I just roll with whatever happens to be under my fingers. . The subtle differences between them all don't seem to phase me that much. They each have their own unique sensibilities, advantages, and disadvantages.
Actually D, I always pretty much rolled with it too. Never gave it much thought until, for whatever reason, I became acutely aware of the comfort, ease of play and intimacy I was realizing from my small Cargo. Among the many reason, Ive come to realize that the little extra string spacing was making a positive difference in my bare fingerpicking, and I liked it. So, Ive only recently learned that if I have a choice, Id go with 2-1/4. Of course, finger size among players makes a difference in how this is perceived, or not. One might think that a player with short, stubby fingers would notice more and benefit from a bit wider spacing. Not necessarily so. Mine are fairly long and skinny, and I notice...after many years of not noticing though. Maybe its a byproduct of aging.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:21 AM
email4eric email4eric is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Bridge string spacing on my CH-OM1100NS is 2 3/16". Feels plenty wide enough for my finger style playing. Between that and 2 1/4" (1/16th inch difference at the bridge), when played at the sound hole, feels pretty much moot to me. No where near enough difference to matter significantly to me.
Thank you!
__________________
Martin CEO-7, Martin 000-15sm, Gibson J-35, Ibanez AC240, Yamaha FD01S, Journey RT660
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-25-2017, 11:38 AM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Actually D, I always pretty much rolled with it too. Never gave it much thought until, for whatever reason, I became acutely aware of the comfort, ease of play and intimacy I was realizing from my small Cargo. Among the many reason, Ive come to realize that the little extra string spacing was making a positive difference in my bare fingerpicking, and I liked it. So, Ive only recently learned that if I have a choice, Id go with 2-1/4. Of course, finger size among players makes a difference in how this is perceived, or not. One might think that a player with short, stubby fingers would notice more and benefit from a bit wider spacing. Not necessarily so. Mine are fairly long and skinny, and I notice...after many years of not noticing though. Maybe its a byproduct of aging.
Tom... I agree; if a 1/16th inch difference in string spacing at the bridge results in a noticeable improvement in your fingerpicking, then by all means seek out 2 1/4" spacing and bypass guitars that you can't get that with. But this may also mean that you bypass guitars which have other desirable qualities that you might wish you had? Compromise... is what life is all about, ultimately.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-30-2017, 11:56 PM
Amar911 Amar911 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 24
Default

I've always been surprised by how much difference 1/16th of an inch makes at the nut in going from 1 11/16ths to 1 3/4ths, but the extra 1/16th at the bridge end is not very noticeable to me. A much bigger spacing factor between the Cargo and the Savoy is the scale length difference which makes the Cargo much easier to play if stretching between frets.

The nut width difference between a 52mm nut on a typical classical guitar and a 1 3/4" nut on a steel string acoustic really is significant at a full 1/4", but I can adapt quickly to the wider nut spacing, other than not being able to thumb fret much on a classical. In fact, the much wider spacing makes some playing easier, especially classical style music (no big surprise there).

My Cargo may be the easiest of my guitars to play for several reasons:

1. adequate string spacing
2. scale length (easier stretch and lower string tension)
3. comfortable body and neck shape
4. Great setup by Michael Stone and his tech, including low action
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=