The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2017, 07:45 PM
jim1960 jim1960 is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,554

Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I wonder how much trouble all those laminated EIR guitars will cause people at the borders? Or just a rosewood fretboard and bridge.
No trouble.

2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
2002 Taylor 814ce Limited cocobolo/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

SoundCloud link
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:04 PM
CE Sobel CE Sobel is offline
AGF Sponsor
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Ridgefield, WA
Posts: 96

I'll second what Howard and others have said... there is no rosewood ban of any sorts in effect, just more stringent paperwork and permits needed for international shipments.


Christopher Sobel
Sobel Guitars
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:15 AM
zavaletas zavaletas is offline
AGF Sponsor
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona.
Posts: 47
Default Travel requirements under new CITES II regulations.

Shared by James (owner)

Guidance for Traveling Musicians (from USFW site).

Likewise, musicians traveling abroad with their instruments that are not being sold and are in accompanying personal baggage do not require a CITES document, if the instrument contains less than 10 kg (22 lbs) of CITES-listed rosewood, excluding Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra). Instruments that contain more than 10 kg of CITES-listed wood, with the exception Brazilian rosewood, may qualify as a personal effect under CITES and may not require a CITES document. Please consult with the CITES Management Authorities of both origin and destination countries to determine if they implement these requirements similarly.

Many instruments, such as guitars and violins, when imported or exported for noncommercial purposes such as personal travel or performance, are excluded from the listing and thus exempt from the Appendix-II permit requirements, as the weight threshold will not be exceeded. However, some instruments may contain more than 10 kg of the protected species, such as a double bass, a marimba, or certain drums. Even if the Appendix-II Dalbergia spp. or bubinga in an instrument is less than 10 kg, if it is being imported or exported for commercial purposes, such as sale, it must be accompanied by CITES documents.

48. What is the personal effects exemption?

Under CITES, the term “personal or household effects” means specimens that are personally owned and legally acquired, and worn, carried, or included in personal accompanying baggage or part of a household move. Generally speaking, items that meet this definition are exempt from CITES requirements. However, not all CITES Parties implement the personal effects exemption, so please be sure to check with the relevant CITES Authorities to determine if your item qualifies for the exemption. Please also note that, currently under U.S. regulations, species included in Appendix I do not qualify for the personal effects exemption. See below for additional discussion on this issue.

49. I heard about something called “a musical instrument certificate.” Do I need one and, if so, how do I apply for one?

A Musical Instrument Certificate is a passport-like certificate for musical instruments that is issued to individuals when a CITES document is required. If your instrument contains material that would not be exempt from a CITES listing, such as instruments that contain less than 10 kg of Dalbergia sp. wood, or covered by the personal effects exemption, you may want to consider obtaining a musical instrument certificate. These certificates have been issued for instruments that are manufactured from Brazilian rosewood or contain wildlife species like African elephant ivory or sea turtle shell. To be eligible for this 20 certificate, your primary residence must be in the United States and you must be eligible for a CITES document. These certificates may be valid for up to three years and are intended for multiple border crossings for non-commercial purposes (i.e., the instruments are not being offered for sale or being sold while outside the United States).


Sale and Purchase of Instruments by Individuals

50. Can I sell my instrument in another country when I’m traveling with a musical instrument certificate?

No, Musical Instrument Certificates are intended for multiple border crossings for non-commercial purposes (i.e., the instruments are not being offered for sale or being sold while outside the country where the certificate was issued), and the instrument must return to the country where the certificate was issued.

51. I want to sell an instrument to someone in another country. How do I do that?

Before you export an instrument made from protected wood or wildlife for sale, you need to apply for and acquire a permit from our office. However, If the individual buying the instrument containing only Appendix II rosewood or bubinga wood travels to the United States and hand-carries the instrument with them when they return to their country of residence, we would consider this a non-commercial activity because the sale took place within the United States, and therefore it is not subject to the CITES listing for rosewood (also see Question 48 for discussion of the personal effects exemption). However, as noted above, because Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra) is listed in CITES Appendix I, it is not eligible for the personal effects exemption. If the buyer intends to hand carry the instrument home with him/her, please advise your customer to confirm with the CITES Authorities in his/her home country to confirm that that they share this interpretation. If they require that the instrument be accompanied by a U.S. CITES document, our office will be able to issue one, assuming that all legal requirements are met.

52. I want to buy an instrument from someone in another country. How do I do that?

You do not need a U.S. CITES import permit from our office unless the instrument contains species listed in CITES Appendix I and the specimen is not pre-Convention. The United States does not require the issuance of import permits for CITES pre-Convention specimens. Keep in mind that there are additional restrictions for instruments with ESA-listed species such as elephant ivory, tortoiseshell, and marine mammals. Review our “What Can I Do With My Ivory” webpage and our “Can I Sell It?” factsheet for additional information. Generally, the exporter (foreign seller), must obtain a CITES document from the country of export/reexport, which should accompany the instrument. You should keep a copy of the endorsed and validated permit in your permanent records. Contact information for foreign CITES offices is available from


Part B: What are the species of wood and wildlife in your instrument, and what is the volume of the rosewood? If a fee will not be paid, the activity is not commercial, and a permit may not be required. It depends on the species and volume of wildlife and plants in your instrument. Step one: Determine the species of wood and wildlife in your instrument, and find out the scientific names of those species.

Step one: Determine the species of wood and wildlife in your instrument, and find out the scientific names of those species.

Step two: Determine the weight of rosewood in your shipment. If the combined weight of the rosewood in the instrument or shipment of instruments (if more than one is shipped together) is 10kg (~22 lbs) or greater, a CITES document will be required. Skip to Part C of this question for instructions.

If the combined weight of the rosewood in the instrument or shipment of instruments (if more than one is shipped together is less than 10kg (~22lbs), and the repair is under warranty or does not otherwise 17 involve payment of a fee, then the shipment is excluded from the CITES Appendix-II listing under annotation #15 and a CITES document is not required for the rosewood. However, we encourage you to contact the CITES Management Authority in the foreign country to ensure that they do not require a CITES document for the transaction. If the foreign country requires permits, we will honor their requirements; follow the instructions at Part C of this question below.

45. Please clarify the 10-kg rule? Is this with a case, without a case, or is it 10 kg of Dalbergia?

Paragraph b) of the new Dalbergia spp. and bubinga annotation refers to the weight of those species in the specimen. This doesn’t include the case, only the instrument, unless the case also contains the protected species. And, it doesn’t refer to the total weight of the instrument unless 100% of the instrument is Appendix-II Dalbergia spp. and/or bubinga.

47. What about the instruments I already have? Are they pre-Convention? How do I document my instruments to make sure they will be considered pre-Convention?

Because previous Appendix-II listings exempted manufactured items, any instrument manufactured prior to January 2, 2017, would be considered pre-Convention. However, for the Appendix-I listed Brazilian rosewood (D. nigra), the first listing date is June 11, 1992. Therefore, an instrument containing Brazilian rosewood must have been manufactured before June 1992 or manufactured from Brazilian rosewood harvested before June 1992 in order to qualify as a pre-Convention specimen. Documentation from the manufacturer, such as the serial number of the instrument or a statement from the manufacturer, may be sufficient to document the age of the instrument.


● The exporter must have the CITES document endorsed by the foreign country prior to export/ reexport
● The original CITES permit must accompany the shipment (the exporter should make copies before shipping)
● The permit must be presented to the appropriate inspection agency at the time of import into the United States. Once the document has been cleared into the United States, keep a copy of the cleared permit and all related documentation in a permanent file.
● Be sure to provide a copy of the CITES document to future owners
● Check with CITES authorities in the seller’s country to ensure that you are complying with their requirements:
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Aramgreuter Aramgreuter is online now
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9

I have a possibility of buying some dalbergia nigra sets with cites papers from a dutch retiring luthier. Will i be able to sell and ship such set to the us? Or do i need to obtain additional permits in such a case?
Reply With Quote

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=