The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Q for Ted & Kramster

Ted and Mark,

You both have the most hands/ears-on experience with a wide range of composite guitars spanning a number of years. Acknowledging that guitar preference is personal and subjective, I think prospective buyers would appreciate and benefit from your perspectives and ranking of brands/models irrespective of size, price, discontinued and composite material. So if it's not too much to ask, what are your top 5 (in order, if it makes sense) and why? Thanks!

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-11-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 PM

If your in the business of selling carbon guitars I doubt that you would want to list your top five in order? Why would you want to turn off a potential buyer who may not have your preferences?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
If your in the business of selling carbon guitars I doubt that you would want to list your top five in order? Why would you want to turn off a potential buyer who may not have your preferences?
Good point, Steve. That said, maybe Mark would be willing.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
...or a manufacturer who might not make the cut. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:46 PM

Tom, as a dealer of all the CF brands at one time or another, I've had hundreds of opportunities to discus the virtues of just about every CF guitar available, based on the clients needs. My favorites may not be best for someone else, so I tend to keep that info close to the vest, but if what you're looking for is a short list of my personal favorites than I will give it some thought.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Tom, as a dealer of all the CF brands at one time or another, I've had hundreds of opportunities to discus the virtues of just about every CF guitar available, based on the clients needs. My favorites may not be best for someone else, so I tend to keep that info close to the vest, but if what you're looking for is a short list of my personal favorites than I will give it some thought.
Yes Ted, that is exactly what I'm asking. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Guest 928

I do not have the experiences of Misters K or Ted, but I do have a list of my top five favorite cf makers: Blackbird, CA/Peavey, Emerald, Journey & Rainsong. Hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I do not have the experiences of Misters K or Ted, but I do have a list of my top five favorite cf makers: Blackbird, CA/Peavey, Emerald, Journey & Rainsong. Hope that helps.
Haha, looks like you've got all the bases covered.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Let's see now... Hmmmmm.... Currently a 3 way tie for fave... no particular oder so alphabetical CH-OM, Savoy, and X-20...I like all the ones I have .. Amicus is really fun, OX (when I can have at it) is very playable and sounds darn good..really like my old school center hole X-7 with B-Band plugged in a lot... not sure if this helps... then the variables may kick in.. like strings (and I got some old ones on some), play style (I don't use a pick), plugged in and into what amp/effects set up or just acoustic. I have crappy ears so my observations are limited in tonal quality and subtleties much of the time . Some days I think I hear a more metallicy sound than other days (don't get that at all with the Savoy of course).
I guess I am just better at presenting things for others to see and hear than to verbally explain what I hear (or don't hear).
I like when I get my friends that play well to play any of them as some of those guys really can make any sound good.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks Mark. Given your experience, I find your choices interesting, especially since I think my barefinger playing style is similar to yours.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Guest 928

Mark;

You facilitate those other players, motivate them, and work for them, just as you do for the carbon fiber makers. My hat is off to you sir!
Old 08-11-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Mark;

You facilitate those other players, motivate them, and work for them, just as you do for the carbon fiber makers. My hat is off to you sir!

Thank you kind sir....Does you hat by any chance have some nylon in it?
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Thanks Mark. Given your experience, I find your choices interesting, especially since I think my barefinger playing style is similar to yours.
My choices are interesting I guess... of course over the years I have had various favorites as most folks do. But I reckon now is what counts.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:36 PM

I think this is a pretty unfair position to put Ted in as he is a dealer and does not deal in all brands and obviously him making a list of favorites from what he sells would not be fair to the brands he represents.

I will leave this thread open for now, but I THANK Ted for staying out of it as he did and really question whether we should be going down this route.

Asking everyone for their opinion is one thing, but singling out individuals is another thing all together....

Tom
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think this is a pretty unfair position to put Ted in as he is a dealer and does not deal in all brands and obviously him making a list of favorites from what he sells would not be fair to the brands he represents.

I will leave this thread open for now, but I THANK Ted for staying out of it as he did and really question whether we should be going down this route.

Asking everyone for their opinion is one thing, but singling out individuals is another thing all together....

Tom
Sorry...no intent along that line at all. Just thought that Ted and Mark having the broadest CF range and experience over a long period of time would profide valuable insight for us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber