The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-29-2004, 09:32 PM

Default Need Electric Guitar Advice - I wanna rock...

Hey all,

over the last few (4-5) years I've taken big steps toward acoustic music and have spent a lot of time and money "acoustically". Now I'm wanting to get back into the electric guitar side of things (which got me into guitar initially). I just need some advice as to what to look at for a new electric in terms of value and quality. I'm going to be gigging with a band that does some stuff in some pretty good venues (nothing big, mostly bars, clubs, that sorta thing). I am looking to get a new guitar and a new amp.

For the guitar I like humbuckers but also am intrigued by the strat and its tonal potential so I was thinking maybe a fat strat. I love rock so I was also thinking a Gibson SG of some sort. I have an RG series Ibanez that does a good job but it gives me fits sometimes so I want to replace it. Something sturdy, something that can rock, and something with good value. What other guitars and makers should I look at. I've never been a fan of acoustic guitar buying via guitar center but feel pretty comfortable when it comes to electrics. Is that a reasonable opinion on GC?

For the Amp, I want something that will give me enough that I'll never need more power. Don't care about transportation. I want to be able to push it and have it push back. I don't want to be limited tonally. When I was younger I loved the idea of a Peavey 5150. Whats the word on them? I would love as anyone would a Marshall Stack. A stack in general would be cool. I want tube power. Please help me. Direct me where to look and what to look at. Pluses and minuses to stacks, combos, etc.

I really value the opinions I get and read on this board. Please lend a hand and help me in my quest to rediscover "rocking out". Thanks all - Andy
Old 05-29-2004, 09:33 PM

check out Godin for guitars and Traynor for tube amps.. i love my Godin (Seymour Duncan pickups rock) and Traynors are very, very versatile. at least the YCV80 is... sigh.. *kicks self*
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 05-29-2004, 11:46 PM

Gibson SGs are awesome for rocking out, I really really want one of those myself - an SG standard. Very sexy guitars!
As far as tube amps with power, look at the Fender Hotrods (combo amps). Maybe the Hotrod Devilles or the Hotrod Deluxe?? Those are plenty powerful, they're best known for their amazing clean tone.
Hope that helps...
Fender MIM Thinline Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Old 05-30-2004, 06:06 AM

If you have the cash (I don't!) I'd get a Les Paul with Marshal stack. I was looking at a Les Paul day before yesterday at G.C in Norfolk, VA they have a Les Paul with bound top, flamed front and back sunburst with custom fretboard inlay MAN! That guitar screamed!

I would have traded my CAR for that guitar and walked home....except that that the guitar was worth MORE than my dumb car!

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Old 05-30-2004, 07:28 AM

The Amp to get is a Fulton Webb Amp. they are Tube powered and the tone and growl is unsurpassed. Very impressive amps. check em out here:

http://www.fultonwebb.com/

As far as the guitar goes you can find many small shop custom makers that would build you something to your spec that would have all the power you could handle. Maybe a Tele with a humbucker and a single coil. that would give you good tonal options. Maybe even two humbuckers, but normally a Tele style guitar the neck pick-up is not really bright and twangy like the bridge pickup so a Humbucker in the bridge and a single coil alnico 5 handwound pick-up would be awesome.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:14 AM

Well, it's about personal taste and budget. It's sounds like you like humbuckers and Marshall stacks, so that's what you should look at. I prefer small amps and Strat type guitars, but that's just me. If you have the budget for it look into some of the smaller guitar builders. They turn out some fine instruments. I love my Tom Anderson Guitarworks guitar, but they are more on the Strat side of the fence and are a little expensive.

Play a few and see what you like. Decide on a budget. Good stuff costs a lot these days.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:16 AM

There is a Forum member with an SG Supreme up for sale at a good price. You might want to inquire.

You can order an SG from several Internet retailers (GuitarTrader, MusiciansFriend, Music123, Sweetwater, etc) and get free shipping and 45 day return policy which will REALLY let you try it out with return shipping as your "risk."
Old 05-30-2004, 08:52 AM

After playin acoustics for five years I added electrics to my tool chest. It was a challenge and it took me about five months to decide where to start. Depending on your budget I'd look at a Fender Strat (American Delux). It will take you from classic rock to blues to jazz and almost everything in between. If your taste runs to high end gear check out Paul Reed Smith guitars my favorite all-in-one is the Custom 22. As for amps my ears like the vibe of Fender and for small gigs the Blues Jr. or for larger gigs the Hot Rod Deluxe are my choices. If you want to step it up the Mesa Boogie Nomad would be good choice.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-30-2004, 09:05 AM

To me there are only two types of electric guitars...Gibson and Fender.
Maybe I'm just old fashion. Amps? Fender or Peavy.
My 2˘
Dave
Old 05-30-2004, 09:09 AM

I was stuck on the Les Pauls until I spent some quality time with some Strats. In comparison, the Les Paul was uncomfortable to me, and weighed a ton. The strats were far more ergonomic and responsive, and to me opened up a larger array of tonal possibilities. The American Deluxe with the S-1 is the best of both worlds…classic strat single coil tones with humbuckers added in the mix. Plus, it is significantly less expensive than a good Les Paul or a PRS. If cost is a problem, then don’t overlook the highway 1. It is a stripped down American Stratocaster with classic single coils.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodNut
The Amp to get is a Fulton Webb Amp. they are Tube powered and the tone and growl is unsurpassed. Very impressive amps.
For the price, they oughta' be...

Steve
Old 05-30-2004, 10:28 AM

Default some additions

So here are some things I felt the need to add. I don't want to "break the bank" with a purchase. What I'm thinking here is a guitar, amp, possibly a Line 6 POD, some other effects maybe for a total of around $2K. If anyone has the motivation and time, could you email me a good idea of what would be a good %-off list price to take away from things like fender guitars and amps, gibson guitars, and other makers that fall in the budget above? Or if not %-off how about what would be a good ballpark price for an SG, american strat (s-1 with the humbucker and a regular) and some of the amps mentioned. I'm trying not to break rules here so remember I'm asking for help on prices via emailing. Thanks again guys. I really do value the input and opinions of the good citizens of this forum.

Thanks again for the help. Email here - [email protected]

-Andy
Old 05-30-2004, 10:38 AM

With $2K you've got just enough of room to work out a pretty rockin' guitar/amp combo.

I've never tried the Line 6 Amps, but there are several that have lots of Pod-type FX already built-in.

You're best bet on pricing is to check out a number of online retailers. Aside from the big ones mentioned in my previous post, look at smaller non-chain shops like Elderly, FQMS, Buffalo Bros. etc. But they won't have the liberal return policy of MF or Sam Ash.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:53 AM

I'm a Telecaster guy myself, but you might also want to check out Hamer, G&L, or PRS unless your hung up on "Gotta be a Fender or Gibson." All of the afore-mentioned brands have great guitars for right around the Fender/ Gibson ballpark... maybe cheaper in some cases as well.

Plenty of good cheap Fenders out there as well if you might want to go that route and upgrade later. The best electric I ever had was a Japanese '72 Reissue Thinline Telecaster, which I upgraded with Seymour Duncan Humbuckers. I had about $650.00 in it total and it was an outstanding guitar. I've owned high-end Teles, Strats, and Les Pauls, but that Jap Tele beat them all.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:58 AM

Cool

fender guitars are awesome. strats are the way to go imo. i like the cyclones, jaguars and mustangs too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars