The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM

Default Emerald Guitar questions?

If anyone has played or owned an Emerald with the
LR Baggs Element Active System – VTC;
Does it sound great on these guitars?
Is the Anthem better?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 PM

I just ordered an X20-12 Artisan earlier this week. Although I had been leaning toward "no pickup" my wife convinced me to add it anyway, just in case. Taking the lower cost option, I went with the Element Active VTC. My fingers are crossed that Emerald makes only good choices in what pickups to put into their guitars, because I have zero experience with this pickup system - at least until my new guitar is delivered in December.

I'm sure that others will contribute comments here shortly.

Last edited by Earl49; 07-14-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: tpyos adn speeelllling
Old 07-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I am not an expert on the LR Baggs stuff, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if I understand correctly, the Anthem is pretty much the Element with an added in-body mic. As such, I would think the Anthem is an upgrade from the Element.

I have an X20 with the Element VTC, and it sounds great. When I first plugged it in, it seemed bass heavy compared to my other guitars/pickups, but no issue to EQ it for the sound I like.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:56 PM

Thanks Captain! If you say it sounds great then I can't go wrong with either.

Does anyone have an opinion on this X7 top?

Old 07-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Anticipation Junkie

As you know, that X7 is one of the July Select Series with the Royal Ebony top. No doubt, it is striking. Personally, I prefer a more subtle woody top in terms of poppy grain, coco being my favorite, but you can't go wrong with this guitar/top. It IS beautiful and if you like it, that's all that matters.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Guest 1478

My friend Kay lent her brand new X7 to a pro muso to play a couple of songs plugged in at a gig last night and it sounded amazing. Kay was nearly in tears it sounded so good! Before hearing an X7 in the flesh I personally was not too keen on the sound of small guitars but this little beauty has changed my mind, I want one!
As for the X7 woody you have pictured, it's certainly a beautiful thing but as Tom has said, it's whether you like it that really counts.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Well, it is a free opinion: that is gorgeous! Love the pattern in that veneer, almost looks like flames! I see it is sold... are you the lucky new owner?

We are in an RV park at Acadia National Park; after a day of exploring, we enjoyed some guitar time with the X7 outside the motorhome. This guitar is a real delight.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
My friend Kay lent her brand new X7 to a pro muso to play a couple of songs plugged in at a gig last night and it sounded amazing. Kay was nearly in tears it sounded so good! Before hearing an X7 in the flesh I personally was not too keen on the sound of small guitars but this little beauty has changed my mind, I want one!
As for the X7 woody you have pictured, it's certainly a beautiful thing but as Tom has said, it's whether you like it that really counts.
I think the X7 and the X20 compliment each other nicely. Both stand alone as fine guitars. In photos, they may seem quite similar; once in hand, you really experience the difference. Pick each up, and you appreciate the heritage they share: the X7 is more intimate, the X20 is a showman. Conversely, the X7 can be played with gusto, and the X20 can be quiet.

I completely understand how having one makes you want to add the other.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
.. are you the lucky new owner?
Captain unfortunately I am not. But I thought about it.
I'm already half down on a forthcoming red Artisan (late August?). My only requirements were black 510s and Anthem.
I haven't ever waited for a guitar before and having never played an Emerald I can hardly wait to get my grubby little hands on one.
My problem has always been; I want it all, and I want it now!
Thanks for all your replies!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I played these back to back for the last three weeks. The Gibson is an EC-20 and is the size of a J-185. It is a lot bigger than the Artisan but the Artisan is actually louder than the Gibson.

2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 07-15-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
the Artisan is actually louder than the Gibson.
That's good to know for fingerstyle. What a beautiful room..

Last edited by Song; 07-21-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Well, it is a free opinion: that is gorgeous! Love the pattern in that veneer, almost looks like flames! I see it is sold... are you the lucky new owner?

We are in an RV park at Acadia National Park; after a day of exploring, we enjoyed some guitar time with the X7 outside the motorhome. This guitar is a real delight.
Hands up, I am that soldier!

We have a second home in Donegal and spend a good deal of time here throughout the year. I had my interest piqued in cf guitars from reading the threads on here and then simulataneously I saw the July series, while researching further through the Emerald YouTube channel and promptly arranged to visit the factory whilst I was here and came away with this X7.
The idea was to keep this baby at home Ireland but as it is easily the most pleasing of all my guitars to play, for many different reasons, it is going back to Glasgow with me.

I met Alistair and Sean, who was so helpful and accommodating as well as being an absolute delight of a guy. Their design, products and company ethos are outstanding and I know I will return as the force in me is strong!
Takamine Thinline 1989
Yamaha APX-4-12 string
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
.....It is a lot bigger than the Artisan but the Artisan is actually louder than the Gibson....
Thanks for your comparison. I would like to respectfully point out that "Artisan" is not a model, it is a level of trim (all glossy finish with colors and veneers available, and including a pickup). The Opus is the more basic model (black only, non-glossy Crystal Ice back & sides, no pickup). You can get an X20 in either Artisan or Opus versions. Ditto for an X7, X20-12, etc.

But I have no issue if your guitar's nickname is "Artisan".
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9TS View Post

We have a second home in Donegal and spend a good deal of time here throughout the year. I had my interest piqued in cf guitars from reading the threads on here and then simulataneously I saw the July series, while researching further through the Emerald YouTube channel and promptly arranged to visit the factory whilst I was here and came away with this X7.
The idea was to keep this baby at home Ireland but as it is easily the most pleasing of all my guitars to play, for many different reasons, it is going back to Glasgow with me.

I met Alistair and Sean, who was so helpful and accommodating as well as being an absolute delight of a guy. Their design, products and company ethos are outstanding and I know I will return as the force in me is strong!
Welcome to the AGF You "Hands Up Soldier"!!! LOL...That is quite the striking guitar Amigo, and I'm sure that you will find her soul within...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9TS View Post

Welcome aboard - great first post! That X7 is striking - nice to hear it went to a new to CF owner. Feel free to post your impressions on it... well, mostly I just want to see more photos of it.

Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber