The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-13-2017, 09:08 PM
hotroad hotroad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,021
Default HK Audio Nano 608i Thoughts???

What think you of this system? I have been researching to the max all the smaller systems that are high end for gigging yet simple and light and very awesome tone.
I would appreciate any input on this before I buy it soon. thanks.
__________________
...Peerless Monarch Jazz Archtop/Acoustic dual source
...Breedlove Myrtlewood 12 string
...Martin D28, 1967
...Martin HD28 Sunburst

Last edited by hotroad; 05-13-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 AM
SpruceTop SpruceTop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, New York
Posts: 6,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
What think you of this system? I have been researching to the max all the smaller systems that are high end for gigging yet simple and light and very awesome tone.
I would appreciate any input on this before I buy it soon. thanks.
I had a local store demo the HK Lucas Nano 300 for me when they came out a few years ago. The store guy plugged-in his phone and played some metal through the system and I was surprised at how loud the Nano 300 could get before hearing distortion that was just as likely to come from the MP3 he was playing as the system itself. I would imagine the Nano 608i would be even better.
__________________
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Martin HD-28 Trance Amulet M-VT
Martin D-18
Martin D Jr B-Band A1.2N-1470
Taylor 614ce ES2
Taylor 618e ES2
Taylor 356ce 12-String ES2
Taylor 322ce ES2
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa ES2
Vega 12" Old Tyme Wonder
Rickard 12" Maple Ridge Dobson
Pisgah 12" Walnut Tubaphone
Bart Reiter Regent Whyte Laydie
Deering Sierra Maple Flathead
Ovation VXT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Paultergeist Paultergeist is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lemon Grove, California
Posts: 752
Default

I also think the system looks very intriguing. I would love to demo one in person. I am hoping that these units get wider visibility.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2017, 03:00 PM
hotroad hotroad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,021
Default

I agree. I have researched this type of system for the past month. There are a lot to choose from now as opposed to just a couple years ago. I am comparing the JBL Eon One, The Maui 28, The Maui 11 Mix, The HK Nano 300 and the 600 plus the 600 with the onboard mixer and option for an outboard wireless one included in the price. You have to provide your own Ipad of course. Then there is the Evox 5 and Evox 8, both excellent products it seems.
There are more expensive systems but that puts them right at two grand which is a little steep for me. I am trying to stay at $1500 or below. Because there is little competition in this niche, the prices are fairly firm. One salesman said he would 'shave' a little off the price of $1500 system. He shaved off $50!!

So, the winner today is the HK Nano 608i. Second place is the Evox 8.
__________________
...Peerless Monarch Jazz Archtop/Acoustic dual source
...Breedlove Myrtlewood 12 string
...Martin D28, 1967
...Martin HD28 Sunburst
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2017, 03:08 PM
dannyg1 dannyg1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,389
Default

I played through an older Nano at GC, no idea of the eq settings and/or proper set up, and found it unlistenable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Uncle Pauhana Uncle Pauhana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 550
Default

The iPad software looks very capable and well thought-out.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2017, 03:42 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I played through an older Nano at GC, no idea of the eq settings and/or proper set up, and found it unlistenable.
The nano 300 and 600 are two totally different animals. There is a clear improvement between the 300 and 600.

Usually people who reject the nano 600 say that there is too much low end, and go buy a Bose L1c for its super clear glassy sound.

I did not compare both side by side, but I did not find the 600 unlistenable ( in poor testing conditions)... I heard a two people band playing it with acoustic guitars in a restaurant and I thought it sounded good. It was outside, they had to cover a L shape area and it was alright. Sometimes, the configuration of the place does not favor line arrays... Hk is more versatile in this sens.

It does not sound as good as a Bose L1 model II for sure, but it is not the same price.

What would you recommend Dannyg1?
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) Lyric gilgaus mod + EPSI IR
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-VT
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2017, 03:49 PM
dannyg1 dannyg1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,389
Default

I'm continually of the mind that amps with extension cabs are the best coverage solution. If I were building a compact yet powerful system to cover a lot of space, I'd be looking at a Tonematch with two Jam 100's, Jam 150 ext cabs or two k8s.

If money was the big issue, I'd do two Loudbox minis, or a Loudbox artist and a mini. If really cheap were the goal, two demo Bugera AC60's and you're done for under $400.

And bassy was not the problem with the Nano system I heard. It sounded hollow, nasal and cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2017, 06:28 PM
krisls krisls is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 582
Default

I have no personal experience of these, but a friend used to play with one of the HK Systems, the line up from the Nano I think, 600w ish. Used that for his acoustic shows and other stuff for band work. Sounded decent to me but not amazing. He has now settled on Yamaha DBR's (12's) for everything.

If you fancy going this way I have heard the RCF Evox and it's pretty good, personal choice though of course. I like the Fishmans and the Bose gear is pretty nice too. Horses for courses. I use K10's meself.

Kris
__________________
Keep it Simple
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-14-2017, 11:04 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I'm continually of the mind that amps with extension cabs are the best coverage solution. If I were building a compact yet powerful system to cover a lot of space, I'd be looking at a Tonematch with two Jam 100's, Jam 150 ext cabs or two k8s.

If money was the big issue, I'd do two Loudbox minis, or a Loudbox artist and a mini. If really cheap were the goal, two demo Bugera AC60's and you're done for under $400.

And bassy was not the problem with the Nano system I heard. It sounded hollow, nasal and cheap.


I think I know exactly what you mean The hollow sounding isn't kind of a characteristic all those systems share. I've said it already on another thread. My opinion on this one is that if you like low-mid range or high-bass frequencies (where the body of the sound is) those system are not good for you. Traditional loudspeakers have their woofer and tweeter speakers with a crossover around 2khz. It means that the tweeter handles frequencies above 2khz. Since the woofer and tweeters are close to each other, there is barely a misalignement. The systems we are talking about have satellites that handle most of the frequencies to be able to throw sound above the heads of the audience. The problem is that the crossover is between 200hz and 400hz. So part of the body of the sound comes from the satellite and another part from the subwoofer. If there is some misalignement you get interferences... One of the thing, the sonomag magazine liked about hk nano is that you can tune the separation between the satellite and woofer and get the best sound at a specific distance. You can't do that with other systems (Bose, jbl, Maui...)
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) Lyric gilgaus mod + EPSI IR
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-VT
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-16-2017, 12:15 PM
dannyg1 dannyg1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,389
Default

I've been having a private conversation with a musician who's considering a line array and it's occurred to me that many, if not most , people who are looking at these things don't really understand the underlying principles/problems that line arrays are made to solve.

One amp vs. A line array doesn't really tell you a lot about what the difference in output sound is to your audience. Just like your guitar sounds great to you but mercilessly thin to people who are 15 feet away, a point source speaker only covers so much audience with the sound you intend to produce. A line array, at least somewhat, broadens that coverage.

Sound is like light and a point source can only light so much of a dark room, unless you make it so powerful that it can light it all. Problem there is that audience in line and close to the powerful light will be blinded, toasted and fried by the light. Because of that, what you'll see when you enter, say a stadium with a roof, is a myriad of not as powerful lights, with a source for every nook and cranny. You'll see the same with speakers- lots of not so powerful speakers, covering each nook, designed on delay lines so as not to create a cacaphony of voices arriving at different times (think echoed announcement in a large train station).

Line arrays can only focus high frequency sound because as frequency gets lower, the beam from the speaker spreads. It also gets its energy eaten by air/distance and that's why your guitar sounds thin at 15 feet.

In order to properly cover a large space you need full range freq. Coverage and line arrays alone can't do that, at least without beaming. Which is why some of us can't stand playing through fishman SA220's. They're designed to sound thin.

Only properly spaced and delayed full range speakers can cover a larger space with the sound we'd like to project economically. Smaller spaces can be somewhat different but the same rules still apply.

I'm pretty sure this will go over like a lead brick....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 834
Default

I would keep one sentence
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Line array [...] They're designed to sound thin.
That's exactly that.

Now, the average age of the people in the AGF reaching 60, many don't want to carry speakers, subwoofers, pole mounts and mixers anymore. So I believe many people are ready to sound "thin" and carry a big suitcase.

HK sound is bassy and mid-scooped: - thin -. But if you play ambient/background music just above speach level... why not?

Cuki
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) Lyric gilgaus mod + EPSI IR
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-VT
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Only properly spaced and delayed full range speakers can cover a larger space with the sound we'd like to project economically. Smaller spaces can be somewhat different but the same rules still apply.

I'm pretty sure this will go over like a lead brick....
I agree with your point. However, I think many people, like me, who are looking at the compact systems are comparing them to a single speaker on a pole, and maybe a monitor, not a multi speaker installation.

If you are a musician who is willing to carry (i.e. getting paid well) multiple cabinets, poles, potentially a sub, power amps, and a mixer, that is clearly the best possible and flexible sound system.

However, if you are comparing these array systems to a single speaker on a pole, in a bar on a Saturday night, which is what many people would otherwise be using, the compact arrays are very compelling.

Like all things guitar and sound related, it's a compromise and you have to pick your poison.
__________________
"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Cuki79 Cuki79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 834
Default

Agree with MartinGitDave,

Dannyg1 however underlined the fact that
Quote:
many, if not most , people who are looking at these things don't really understand the underlying principles/problems that line arrays are made to solve
I think he means some people may want to buy a line array when a combo amp would be more appropriate.

How many people bought a Fender Twin Reverb to put in their appartment and realize that the thing is insanely loud And I am not talking about the many JCM900 4x10 I've seen in ridiculous small rooms when I was a teenager.

In your case, MartinGitdave, the line array suits your need. But many would consider equally a Mini line array and a Fishman loudbox... Without knowing for what they are meant.

I can testify because I've done that mistake. I've bought a Bose L1 mII + Tonematch because I was so impressed of how it sounded in a light-and-sound renting warehouse... But when I was home, I soon realized it was total overkill for a small guy like me in a small city (in the US you'd call that a village in the French countryside.

Cuki
__________________
Martin D-18 (2012) Lyric gilgaus mod + EPSI IR
Martin HD-28 (2014) Trance Audio Amulet M-VT
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass (2017)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-16-2017, 02:42 PM
martingitdave's Avatar
martingitdave martingitdave is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Agree with MartinGitDave,

Dannyg1 however underlined the fact that


I think he means some people may want to buy a line array when a combo amp would be more appropriate.

How many people bought a Fender Twin Reverb to put in their appartment and realize that the thing is insanely loud And I am not talking about the many JCM900 4x10 I've seen in ridiculous small rooms when I was a teenager.

In your case, MartinGitdave, the line array suits your need. But many would consider equally a Mini line array and a Fishman loudbox... Without knowing for what they are meant.

I can testify because I've done that mistake. I've bought a Bose L1 mII + Tonematch because I was so impressed of how it sounded in a light-and-sound renting warehouse... But when I was home, I soon realized it was total overkill for a small guy like me in a small city (in the US you'd call that a village in the French countryside.

Cuki
Good points Cuki. The genesis of my purchase of a compact line array was a wine bar that I was playing in. The room was long and skinny, with an "L" shape and the people in the back could not hear me without blasting myself and the people in front. These systems are perfect for this application.

However, I quickly regretted selling my Line 6 L2t because it was better for really small intimate spaces, at low volume, where there isn't enough space to develop the beaming effect. I solved that problem by purchasing a 8" coaxial powered speaker cab which is extremely warm and musical sounding. It includes a nice tilt stand to get the sound up to seated ear level. And, I can use both together if needed.
__________________
"Lift your head and smile at trouble. You'll find happiness someday."
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=