The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Uncle Pauhana Uncle Pauhana is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 543
Default

Captain Jim, are you fully utilizing the vertical space in your guitar room? I can picture (and I'm at least half serious here) hanging one or more child-size hammocks from the ceiling, each of which could store a guitar in style, comfort, and luxury. Plus, it would give you an excuse to sail over to Yucatán or Campeche to go shopping.

.
  #17  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Captain Jim, are you fully utilizing the vertical space in your guitar room? I can picture (and I'm at least half serious here) hanging one or more child-size hammocks from the ceiling, each of which could store a guitar in style, comfort, and luxury. Plus, it would give you an excuse to sail over to Yucatán or Campeche to go shopping.

.
While that would work great on a sailboat (BTDT), our little home here has vaulted ceilings. That, and the fact that clutter may sully the encouraging support I get from the Blonde. Easier to closet a couple guitars (there's a Gibson in there, too, just remembered)... um, a few guitars and perhaps rotate as the fancy strikes.

And keep everyone in the little house happy.
  #18  
Old 04-27-2017, 06:45 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,789
Default

My current theory is to weed and thin; and then get new ones. With a vaulted ceiling you could rig up pulleys and have a multitude of hanging guitars. You might have to make sure that the wife doesn't look up.
  #19  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 PM
jdinco jdinco is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Interestingly enough, when we got our music room finished, we had a party at the house and I decided to display just about every guitar in my collection, so it was the first time any of my friends understood the depth of my addiction. One of my friends actually had a similar comment to yours, and I had to agree, so the following Monday I called my web guy and asked him to build me a website for my new business. A few weeks later, LA Guitar Sales was born.
Now that's really cool.....and we are all glad you did !!
__________________
John
"If you have the power to make someone happy, do it"
  #20  
Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Interestingly enough, when we got our music room finished, we had a party at the house and I decided to display just about every guitar in my collection, so it was the first time any of my friends understood the depth of my addiction. One of my friends actually had a similar comment to yours, and I had to agree, so the following Monday I called my web guy and asked him to build me a website for my new business. A few weeks later, LA Guitar Sales was born.
Ah, your scale is much grander than mine. Glad you were able to turn a passion into a business. Notice, I said "passion" and not hobby. Yeah, I think passion sounds a lot better than addiction.

I notice some folks here have all kinds of "schemes"... a couple guitars ago, I said I'd be going with the "one in, one out" premise, but no one in our home has reminded me of that. You guys don't really think I'm going to push the issue, do you?
  #21  
Old 04-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,975
Default

The Blonde just presented me with the next choice...

I was playing the X20 for her this morning, before we got out and about for the day. She was commenting about how nice the guitar sounds, then asked, "Which guitar will you be bringing along on our next outing?"



She assumed it would be the X20. Yes, it is "the favorite"... but, the X7 just travels so well.

There is room in the motorhome for one guitar to travel with us. Yes, we made it work with two on our last outing, because I had Emerald ship the X20 to us when we were already out (already had the X7 with us). And, we were in one place for a couple months.

In a month or so, we'll hit the road again. We'll be out for a few months, so no chance to "pull one out of the closet."

She's gonna be ticked if I say, "Let's just stay home so I can play 'em all, anytime I want."

Nah, I'm kidding... we've been home for just under 3 weeks... another month or so, and I will have some seriously itchy feet.

Decisions, decisions.
  #22  
Old 04-28-2017, 05:06 PM
jdinco jdinco is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,441
Default

I would have trouble taking that beautiful X20 on the road, no matter how much you baby it, there's always a chance something could happen to it. Good luck with your decision.
__________________
John
"If you have the power to make someone happy, do it"
  #23  
Old 04-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is offline
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sometimes snow belt, sometimes sun belt
Posts: 10,239
Default

Jim, don't fret over it, just cross that bridge when you get to it.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

Wood: '02 Taylor 814c | '18 Taylor 214ceDLX (Rosewood) | '18 Taylor 150e-12 String (Walnut) | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Carbon Fiber: '18 Emerald X20 Custom | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT
  #24  
Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I would have trouble taking that beautiful X20 on the road, no matter how much you baby it, there's always a chance something could happen to it. Good luck with your decision.
Well, the X20 only has around 1,600 miles on her at this point - I may have to get her more "worldly." I do treat all my guitars with care, but I have 'em to use 'em... well, except those in the closet.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Jim, don't fret over it, just cross that bridge when you get to it.
Wow - you need to scale it back... really stretched your neck out on that one! I will definitely put some thought into which one I pick.

  #25  
Old 04-28-2017, 06:37 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,789
Default

I think you should order a new one, just for the road, let the other two rest at home.
  #26  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:58 PM
mot mot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I think you should order a new one, just for the road, let the other two rest at home.
Yep! You probably should get an X20 Opus that you leave in the RV whether you are home or not. It will save on packing time and worrying about leaving a favorite guitar behind. You can probably talk to Alistair and get it sent to the house in time. That way you won't have to worry about messing up your 'nice' X20 and you'll get the added benefit of testing your theory that all X20 are all consistently incredible.

Regardless Happy Travels!
__________________
Cheers,
Tom

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
  #27  
Old 04-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Yep! You probably should get an X20 Opus that you leave in the RV whether you are home or not. It will save on packing time and worrying about leaving a favorite guitar behind. You can probably talk to Alistair and get it sent to the house in time. That way you won't have to worry about messing up your 'nice' X20 and you'll get the added benefit of testing your theory that all X20 are all consistently incredible.

Regardless Happy Travels!
Interesting premise. I'm going with... huh-uh.

You guys are very helpful... I especially like the way you make spending my money sound so logical.
  #28  
Old 04-29-2017, 07:34 PM
mot mot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 738
Default

Spending (or at least trying to spend ) Other People's Money (OPM) is a bit like being a lottery ticket in that it's nice to dream for a bit until the reality rears its head again. After you buy the X20 opus you should consider...
__________________
Cheers,
Tom

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
  #29  
Old 04-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Spending (or at least trying to spend ) Other People's Money (OPM) is a bit like being a lottery ticket in that it's nice to dream for a bit until the reality rears its head again. After you buy the X20 opus you should consider...
I am familiar with OPM and OPB (Other People's Boats)... now you're going with OPG?

I spent part of the afternoon fine tuning the adjustments on the BodyRez part of the Play Acoustic (for the X20) for the best sound in that little room. That guitar just makes me smile.
  #30  
Old 04-29-2017, 08:23 PM
GuitarDoc GuitarDoc is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chesapeake Va
Posts: 194
Talking

Wait. I thought that's why we bought composite guitars. So they would be impervious. Take the x20 and just be careful.
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=