The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2017, 06:11 AM

Default 8 string acoustic?

does anyone actually make an 8 string acoustic steel string that has 8 different strings like and 8 string classical? I see plenty of 8 strings but their all trying to be 12 strings with doubled up strings on the 3rd and 4th strings. I would like to see an 8 string that actually has 8 strings you can fret to 8 different notes.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:16 AM

More likely you can find someone to build on for you than someone will build one on the chance of finding you to buy it.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
does anyone actually make an 8 string acoustic steel string that has 8 different strings like and 8 string classical? I see plenty of 8 strings but their all trying to be 12 strings with doubled up strings on the 3rd and 4th strings. I would like to see an 8 string that actually has 8 strings you can fret to 8 different notes.
Ibanez AEL108MD-NT
https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_ael108md_nt.htm

Agile Renaissance 8X 8 String NA Acoustic Multiscale
http://www.rondomusic.com/renaissancex.html
Old 03-09-2017, 06:21 AM

Wink

I have enough trouble with 6
Old 03-09-2017, 06:25 AM

Seems you can get them in Carbon Fibre:
Emerald X20 8-string Woody quilted maple vintage amber
Old 03-09-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbla4024 View Post
Ibanez AEL108MD-NT
https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_ael108md_nt.htm

Agile Renaissance 8X 8 String NA Acoustic Multiscale
http://www.rondomusic.com/renaissancex.html

second one was what I was wanting to see. The first was just another 8 string trying to be a 12 string. I was really just wondering if anyone had ever played one as , I'm getting an 8 string baritone round-neck spider cone resonator made.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:04 AM

What would the tuning be? The "Agile Renaissance 8X 8" gages are 012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053, .068, .078. On that scale that would appear to add two strings below the low E vs one above the high E and one below the low E. Would you just follow the 4ths and tune low to high F-B-E-A-D-G-B-E? On the sound clip the player rarely hits those lowest strings, and when he does there's not much to hear.

I used similar string gages to tune a standard non-fan fretted 6 string to F-C-G-D-A-E (5ths tuning like a mandocello). The C sounded great but the F was too floppy. I think they have the same problem with this Agile. Its a cool idea but to get much sound out of those low strings you need a much longer scale and bigger soundbox.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

This Petros has been available at Elderly for quite some time:

https://www.elderly.com/instruments/...ustom-1980.htm

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
What would the tuning be? The "Agile Renaissance 8X 8" gages are 012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053, .068, .078. On that scale that would appear to add two strings below the low E vs one above the high E and one below the low E. Would you just follow the 4ths and tune low to high F-B-E-A-D-G-B-E? On the sound clip the player rarely hits those lowest strings, and when he does there's not much to hear.

I used similar string gages to tune a standard non-fan fretted 6 string to F-C-G-D-A-E (5ths tuning like a mandocello). The C sounded great but the F was too floppy. I think they have the same problem with this Agile. Its a cool idea but to get much sound out of those low strings you need a much longer scale and bigger soundbox.
my scale is going to be 30 inches it also will have 17+ frets to the body and is a cutaway. Since it a resonator for playing slide I will tune it

G1
C2
E2
A2
C3
E3
G3
C4
Old 03-09-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
This Petros has been available at Elderly for quite some time:

https://www.elderly.com/instruments/...ustom-1980.htm
now that certainly is a one of kind instrument never seen a guitar with plectrum string on it
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM

ah ya mean like this -
afraid the 'classical' boys have us steel string players well beat.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:30 AM

If I were really looking for an 8-string guitar, I'd go for something electric first and a decent amp just to see if this is something I would want to explore.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

Oh, and I'd plan on keeping it too b/c I don't know anyone personally who's ever expressed interest in an 8-string, and I've known A LOT of guitar players in my time.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

To me, the difficulty would be string spacing. If you play with a pick, then this may not be a problem. However, I had a Dean 7 string, and before that a decent quality 7 string electric. I play fingerstyle and the strings were just too close together to do so cleanly.

I now have a Godin nylon string 7 string, and the strings are far enough apart to easily play cleanly. The fretboard is WIDE to accommodate this, so I really wonder how one would handle the extra width required for that 8th string. That classical guitar another poster put up in this thread shows what I mean. That is a WIDE neck, and I can't see how a player could get his or her hands around it to play in any normal sort of fashion. My Godin seems to be about the limit of normal playability.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-09-2017, 10:48 AM

I own a Larrivee L-03R that I had converted to an 8 string, but mine has a pair of octave courses on the D and G strings. Which creates much of the sound of a 12 string without all the tension problems.

Different kettle of fish, though....

whm
Old 02-09-2018, 04:04 PM

Default My 8 string guitar

I've modified my 12 string to an 8 string by removing the high E A D & G strings, leaving me with two B strings and two high E strings. I find it really works as I use fingerpicks and I get an 6 string sound with my thumb picking, but when I strum you still get a 12 string effect.
Has anyone else tried this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion