The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Guest 1478

Default Emerald X20 & X7 questions

Hi Guys, XT John here, first time poster from Australia! I have just stumbled across AGF. Wow, what a comprehensive site.

I'm in the early stages of learning the guitar and can see this forum will be a huge resource for me to tap into.

I currently have a Taylor 314ce as well as a Yamaha dred .

Trudy & I plan to soon start travelling the outback and more remote areas of this great southern land with 4wd & offroad caravan so a CF guitar will be just the thing for the extreme conditions we will encounter.
Even at home it's pretty hard to maintain a wooden instrument. We live at 3000ft asl on the inland side of the great dividing range where temperatures can range from mid 40s celsius to minus 16 celsius and humidity is always low to very low.

Due to a number of work/motorcycle/hang gliding accidents my shoulders are fairly knackered and this coupled with the fact that I'm not a very big guy makes guitar size very important. I find the 314ce (grand auditorium size instrument) is as big as I can play comfortably for any length of time.

I have been scouring the internet for CF guitar models/reviews/opinions and I think an Emerald Guitars X20 or possibly X7 Opus appeals to me most. The X20 will be ideal if I can play it comfortably, it also has a hard case to suit which is a must.
If it turns out that the X20 is unsuitable then an X7 would be my second choice but as I find it hard to come to terms with the volume/tone of small guitars (GS Mini is borderline) I'm unsure if an X7 is something I could live with. Whilst travelling, whichever CF guitar I choose will be all I have to play for months at a time.

So, I have a couple of questions that some of you kind folk may be able to answer.

For those of you who own or have played both a Taylor grand auditorium (such as the 314, 414, 814 etc) and an Emerald X20, how do the two compare in size and comfort?

For those of you who own or have played both a Taylor GS Mini and an Emerald X7, how do the two compare in volume? Which has more bass? And which do you personally prefer sound-wise?

For those of you who own an Emerald guitar, how accurate is the intonation on your instrument? I read of intonation problems on some of the other CF brands. If my guitar intonation was a bit off I would have that in the back of my mind every time I picked it up and I would end up hating the instrument even though it wouldn't make a lot of difference to the music being played. Part of the reason I chose the two guitars I own was because the intonation is nigh on perfect. I guess I'm a bit obsessive on that point!

I realise that these are fairly curly questions and there may not be any definitive answers but as I cannot get my hands on the Emeralds to try I'm hoping to gain some insight from those who have.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
Thanks .....XT John.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Welcome XTJohn,

I may be able to give some insight. Regarding the guitars you mention, I own an X20, an X7, and 814, and a GSmini.

Size wise, the X20 is closer to a Grand Concert, but with the longer scale (25.5 vs 24.875) of the Grand Auditorium. The X20 (for me) is more comfortable than the GC or GA; I prefer the sound of the X20. I have played a bunch of Taylors, and a grand total of one X20 (mine).

The X7 is smaller and way more comfortable than the GSmini, and again, I prefer the sound of the X7. Every edge of the Emeralds (except the sides of the fretboard) is softly curved - they are VERY comfortable. The X20 sounds bigger and more full than the X7... because it is; physics. Both are well balanced. Tone is a subjective thing, and I can only offer what appeals to me. Before discovering how much I like carbon fiber guitars, I preferred the "Taylor tone" over the other major brands. Yeah, I know: the different sizes and woods all have their own tone characteristics.

Would you be happy with the volume or tone of an X7? With what you've written, I think you will be happier with the X20... if the size will work for you.

Opinion: the X7 is the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have played. It sounds bigger than the size and feel. The X20 is bigger, sounds bigger... OK, the sound absolutely blows me away. And, it is comfortable. Did I mention the sound?

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Welcome XTJohn,

I may be able to give some insight. Regarding the guitars you mention, I own an X20, an X7, and 814, and a GSmini.

Size wise, the X20 is closer to a Grand Concert, but with the longer scale (25.5 vs 24.875) of the Grand Auditorium. The X20 (for me) is more comfortable than the GC or GA; I prefer the sound of the X20. I have played a bunch of Taylors, and a grand total of one X20 (mine).

The X7 is smaller and way more comfortable than the GSmini, and again, I prefer the sound of the X7. Every edge of the Emeralds (except the sides of the fretboard) is softly curved - they are VERY comfortable. The X20 sounds bigger and more full than the X7... because it is; physics. Both are well balanced. Tone is a subjective thing, and I can only offer what appeals to me. Before discovering how much I like carbon fiber guitars, I preferred the "Taylor tone" over the other major brands. Yeah, I know: the different sizes and woods all have their own tone characteristics.

Would you be happy with the volume or tone of an X7? With what you've written, I think you will be happier with the X20... if the size will work for you.

Opinion: the X7 is the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have played. It sounds bigger than the size and feel. The X20 is bigger, sounds bigger... OK, the sound absolutely blows me away. And, it is comfortable. Did I mention the sound?

Good luck with the decisions.
Welcome to the forum, xtjohn. Having recent experience with both the X7 and X20, the good captain is offering perhaps the best insight you're going to get. Likely, you won't go wrong with an X20.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:20 PM

My brother in law has an X-20 and I have a Taylor GA.

The X-20 is the same width across the lower bout as the GA, but because it has the built in arm-rest it "feels" quite a bit smaller.

Never been a fan of the Taylor GS mini. Just thin and boxy sounding. I like my Larrivee Parlor and my X-7 quite a bit better. The X-7 is the same size as my Larrivee Parlor (Martin 0 size) but again, feels quite a bit smaller due to the arm-bevel.

The X-10 (discontinued) is between those in size, but rumors abound about Emerald bringing those back.

In other news, Rainsong just brought out a fairly affordable concert hybrid series. And the CH-OM might be the perfect compromise for you. (12-fret, 24.9" scale, so it's really a 000 but they call it an OM)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 03-05-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Those guys gave great info on comparisons.. I can only warn you that if you get an X7, you'll probably end up with an X20 to go with it. They are surprisingly good.

I've owned several GS Minis, not is the same league as the X7 in sound and especially in playability (scale length and neck). And as mentioned, don't overlook the Rainsongs, Wonderful guitars too.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
My brother in law has an X-20 and I have a Taylor GA.

The X-20 is the same width across the lower bout as the GA, but because it has the built in arm-rest it "feels" quite a bit smaller.

Never been a fan of the Taylor GS mini. Just thin and boxy sounding. I like my Larrivee Parlor and my X-7 quite a bit better. The X-7 is the same size as my Larrivee Parlor (Martin 0 size) but again, feels quite a bit smaller due to the arm-bevel.

The X-10 (discontinued) is between those in size, but rumors abound about Emerald bringing those back.

In other news, Rainsong just brought out a fairly affordable concert hybrid series. And the CH-OM might be the perfect compromise for you. (12-fret, 24.5" scale, so it's really a 000 but they call it an OM)
Actually, the scale length on the CH-OM is 24.9". Just bought one and really pleased with it. Super guitar.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Actually, the scale length on the CH-OM is 24.9". Just bought one and really pleased with it. Super guitar.
Corrected. It's the same as my Shorty. Still goofy to call it an OM instead of a 000.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-06-2017, 12:19 AM
Guest 1478

Thanks for the welcome and info guys.
If the Emeralds don't work out for me I'll take a closer look at the Rainsongs.

By the sound of it the X20 will suit me fine with one caveat, I'm waiting to hear back from Emerald with a particular measurement I asked for. The reach out to the first fret is my biggest worry so I've asked for them to measure the distance from the middle of the bottom waist (where it sits on your leg) to where the first string goes through the nut.
If that's no greater than on my Taylor 314ce then the X20 is the guitar for me!

Having said that, I'm not writing off the X7 just yet. The convenience of a small instrument while travelling is not insignificant and it may be that I just need to get used to the sound of small guitars. And if that's the biggest problem I have to face in life, well I'm doing OK!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:10 AM

I am not going to say you should get an X20, but I spent over a year looking at various Taylors and ended up with an X20 (more to the story than that). The bottom line is that after 3 years I still play my X20 everyday and am not looking at any Taylor guitars.

I think the distance you ask about is a little closer on the X20, but not much.

The intonation on mine is pretty good. I don't know if my ear is good enough though.

Happy hunting.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber