The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Default Brazilian Rosewood, worth the cost?

Those who have had experience with Brazilian Rosewood please chime in, ( mostly on the tone aspects please ) and give your thoughts why you think it's justified.

Last edited by bigshoe; 01-26-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:03 PM

It depends on the cost. I am a huge fan of BRW though
Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM

It depends on the cost, and who's making the guitar.

If it doubles the price of the guitar, and it's a factory-made instrument, maybe not.

If it adds ~30% and it's a custom build by someone who's got a nice stash and experience with the wood, almost certainly yes.

Of course I'm making up those numbers--the specific value is up to you. Some builders have a flat rate for their builds regardless of the woods you pick. Some builders are really attached to their stash and massively mark up the special woods they don't want to part with. Most builders are somewhere in between.

Brazilian rosewood can be really special.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 PM

It hasn't been worth it to me yet, but I can't rule it out someday.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 PM

Truth is, if Indian rosewood was hard to obtain and commanded exhorbitant prices, many would be spouting its virtues over Brazilian, such is hype.

Back in the day Brazilian was just another rosewood even used on some fairly ordinary instruments, now it costs a fortune and hard to come by its mysteriously developed magical acoustic propertys
Old 01-26-2017, 12:20 PM

Not trying to hijack here, but I'm also curious.

I've played exactly two Brazilian guitars, both with Adirondack tops. One was Collings, the other a Northwood. Both had very dark, deep tones. Impressive, but not something that made me want to have it. I think I heard a bit of that crystalline chime that's supposed to be there, but I've heard (what to me) was better in good Madagascar guitars.

So -- indeed -- is it worth the cost? Or a tonewood with a mythical reputation because it's rare.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Tony Rice says no, at least in terms of tone:
Q: The regular production guitar of the Tony Rice model uses Indian rosewood, while the custom Tony Rice made for you uses Brazillian
rosewood. Do you prefer Brazillian?

TR: Well, it's a matter of tradition

Q: You mean the tradition of Martin guitars?

TR: Yes. Just like Gibson uses the prettiest curly maple for their F-5 mandolins. Indian rosewood can be as gorgeous as Brazillian. I don't think they are any different sound-wise.
(Link: http://www.chiefnoda.com/intvw/tr.html)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocheng View Post
Truth is, if Indian rosewood was hard to obtain and commanded exhorbitant prices, many would be spouting its virtues over Brazilian, such is hype.

Back in the day Brazilian was just another rosewood even used on some fairly ordinary instruments, now it costs a fortune and hard to come by its mysteriously developed magical acoustic propertys
Have you tried it?

I played a lot of BRW guitars (as well as EIR, cocobolo, ABW, ziricote and Madagascar rw) as recently as a year ago when I was deciding which woods to use for a build. There is no doubt in my mind that Brazilian Rosewood is special.

Are there mediocre BRW guitars? Sure, probably. Are there exceptional EIR guitars? Definitely--I have one, and I've heard Somogyis and others that sounded fantastic. So it's not BRW-or-nothing. But it's dumb to dismiss BRW as all hat and no cattle.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM

At that level of guitar making, whether single one at a time by one guy or factory produced, and the country of origin of the rosewood is an "issue", you can be sure it is an "issue" in quotes because at that point it really doesn't matter.

I don't think anyone has sold a few thousand less records because it wasn't Brazilian or sold a few hundred less tickets because it wasn't Brazilian, and I don't know of anyone that didn't get the gig because they didn't bring the Brazilian.

It is only worth what it is worth to you, and you have to decide if being able to say "It's Brazilian!" is worth the money.

rct
Old 01-26-2017, 12:31 PM

The answer is yes........... and maybe. It depends on the guitar. Once you find "the guitar" you have to decide if the price is worth it. There are many Brazilian Rosewood guitars that are definitely worth it to me. To you they may not be. Anyone who says that Brazilian is hype or not definitely different than the other species of Rosewood hasn't experienced the clarity and ring of spectacular Brazilian Rosewood that can't be matched by anything else.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:47 PM

In a dread you bet. OM and triple-ought guitars seem to sound best with red spruce and Indian. Gibson's '30s era AJs are almost surely made of Indian rosewood. But a dread made with QUALITY Brazilian with a red spruce top built by a competent luthier will stomp other dreads, period...

Alternative Truth: I'll put my '76 HD28 up against any dread from any era. Volume might be down about five or ten percent, but tone and power are at the top. Go figure...

Last edited by bjewell; 01-26-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:52 PM

If people willingly pay the cost, it's worth it to them.

If you are asking whether it is worth the cost to you, that is not a question anyone else can answer.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Well, I suppose that it is all about what YOU want...

For me, the answer is "No"... not saying I would refuse a guitar because it has Brazilian rosewood back and sides, but it is not a selling point for me personally.

After nearly 60 years of playing the acoustic guitar, I have come to accept and believe that the ONE factor most important in the volume and tone of an acoustic guitar is the BUILDER of that instrument! Find someone who does work that you love and admire, who gets the sounds from their builds that fit YOUR preferences, and they can build a guitar you will continually be astonished with the sound, each time you play it... regardless of the wood combination used in the building...

I have played some Brazilian rosewood guitars that are exceptional sounding instruments, and I have played some absolute DOGS made with prime high quality woods...
Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM

Brazilian is now around a $5000 upgrade on most builds. Worth it is totally subjective. It is def worth it to the few people who pay that, def not worth it to the others who dont.
2010 Martin D-28
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 01-26-2017, 02:04 PM

I agree with Tom above. Worth is not objective. It's just piece of wood after all.
Are some cars worth million dollars? Is Mona Lisa priceless ( a good painter can make exact replica for $100)? Scarcity and the market dictates the worth, not the quality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion